Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Installing four 8DX wet cell batts with solar

I have a single panel 320w solar panel on the roof of my HR Scepter and use a MPPT solar controller. I installed four brand new Costco 6v deep cycle batteries to replace the older Intimidator 6v AGM batteries. I used the coach for a total of 40 days over the winter boondocking in the Imperial Sand Dunes (Glamis) in the So California desert. The solar kept the 6v batteries charged in the day time and we rarely ran the genset at all during the day (didn't need the AC often).

A friend is a diesel mechanic and was asked by a client to replace the batteries in some emergency stand by generators. These are really large generators and use very large 8D batteries. The batteries he removed were less than a year old and always maintained on a 26v charging system. The generators were run monthly for 30 minutes. He didn't charge the client a core for the new batteries because they switched to a very expensive Lifeline 12v AGM battery (about $600 each).

He offered me four of the batteries for my coach so I grabbed them. They are made by Powerstride Battery with locations all over California. The weight isn't listed but they have to be close to 125-130lbs each. Brand new they cost between $280-$375 each.

Powerstride Industrial 8DX

Specifications:

CCA: 1100 @ 0ºF
CA: 1125 @ 32ºF
Reserve Capacity: 310 mins @25 Amps

Length: 20.75"
Width: 11”
Height: 10”

Terminals: SAE Posts
Chemistry: Wet / Flooded Lead Acid

My question for you all is - are these worth swapping into my coach? I can do all the work myself, including making new 1/0 cables. Two of them will fit in the factory battery compartment and I can fabricate a rack for the other two but at close to 500lbs I think I'll be better off putting two of them in the aft compartment where the Magnuson inverter is located. There's plenty of room in there as well and will help to distribute the weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181102_085735.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	247756   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180304_161428.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	247757  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_204157.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	247758   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190529_160716.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	247759  

L.R.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You would need to add another solar panel to take advantage of that much battery although with only 188AH it's more of a starting battery than a storage battery. Since what you have are only a year old I would try selling the 8Ds to a construction company or farm and buy 2 more golf cart batteries.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

They are starting batteries, not deep cycle.

If you deep cycle them, you will get less then 1/2 the cycles as your GC2, 6 volt batteries.

You will have more capacity with 4 of them, so your cycles will be shallower.
That can give you more cycles, evening thing out, unless you use more energy the you have been.

Since you already have 4, good GC2 batteries and thing are working, why go thru the work to convert to 4 huge 8Ds. Will you continue to use them when they need replacing ?

Like Ivylog said, sell them and add 2 GC2s to your present system if your short on capacity.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Starting battery. Nit deep cycle. Not designed for RV house battery usage. Likely will not provide good capacity or longevity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the replies.That's exactly why I posted here- sound advice! I definitely want to add more solar and I'll probably add two more 6v deep cycle batteries to the system as well.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would sell them on Craigslist as someone with big equipment would love to have them...$150 each or $500 for all 4.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #7

Another question- I want to expand my solar and battery capacity by adding two or possibly four more Costco 6v batteries. It's probably too much weight to add to the battery compartment but I have plenty of room in the aft compartment where the Magnuson inverter is located. But I thought I may have read a thread that mentioned it's not a good idea to put batteries in the same cabinet as an inverter? That would make sense as the inverter is located pretty far from the battery compartment.

Any truth to this?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R.S. View Post
Another question- I want to expand my solar and battery capacity by adding two or possibly four more Costco 6v batteries. It's probably too much weight to add to the battery compartment but I have plenty of room in the aft compartment where the Magnuson inverter is located. But I thought I may have read a thread that mentioned it's not a good idea to put batteries in the same cabinet as an inverter? That would make sense as the inverter is located pretty far from the battery compartment.

Any truth to this?

The gasses escaping from the batteries can cause corrosion in the inverter. It is best to keep them in separate compartments. If you are using AGM batteries , then the batteries can be in the same compartment as the batteries.

Tags
install, solar