Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2021, 09:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Installing Residential Panels on RV Roof

Hi guys!

I picked up two giant residential panels for installing on the roof of our new RV. They are 82" x 40" each. Believe it or not, I have found space for them.

The plan is to put one across the roof at the front of the unit just after the front cap. The other can be placed length-wise with the roof on the left rear (as viewed from behind).

Each panel has an aluminum frame and each panel weighs 50 pounds. I don't know what the roof is made of but it has a grey rubber membrane on it. The unit is a 2020 Coachmen Pursuit 29.

So it looks to me that they will have to be screwed down. Can anyone recommend a particular method of attachment? I saw that Renolgy makes a really nice looking plastic kit that would support the panels in 6 places but it's designed to be glued down, by the looks of it so I suspect it's out of the question.

They also seem to make nice Z brackets so that looks like the early favorite. Any better ideas out there or is that about it? I was thinking of trying to get the panels in such a position that at least some of the mounts are screwed into the aluminum cross braces that span the roof at intervals.

Any thoughts or caveats would be appreciated. This is my very first attempt at solar so......
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 10:49 PM   #2

I would recommend 8 Z brackets for each of your very large panels. I used these stainless steel ones that hold the panels 3 inches above the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Temco-Mountin...4423691&sr=8-1
Old 06-22-2021, 10:53 PM   #3

Hmm, would there be any issues with very strong winds possibly damaging the panels with all that space underneath?
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:12 PM   #4

I suspect this is the kit from Renogy you are referring to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought two of these - for my three 40x80 residential panels, and am using just 4 supports per panel b/c the roof is slightly crowned in the middle. The panels are about 2" above the roof at the ends (laid across the roof) and just barely touching the roof in the middle. My roof is all aluminum.

I don't know about "glue down" but I don't trust that... So they are heavily siliconed down, but also with multiple #12 screws pre-drilled into the roof in addition. There may only be 2 #12 screws per corner into the panel's aluminum frame, but that's more than enough.

These have been rock solid through over 4000 miles of 70mph traveling now. Having them just a bit above the roof also allows for cooling ventilation, which increases the efficiency.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
I would recommend 8 Z brackets for each of your very large panels. I used these stainless steel ones that hold the panels 3 inches above the roof.

https://www.amazon.com/Temco-Mountin...4423691&sr=8-1
Excellent. I'm looking into how to source them - seems that Amazon is out of them and waiting for more. I will have to check the roof again to be sure there is space for such a wide bracket (the foot looks to be about 1.75" wide). But those look to be very good and worth the wait/expense. On the front panel I have to fight for space with the satellite dish. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't say 100% that they will coexist with losing 3.5" of space for the both sides of the feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
Hmm, would there be any issues with very strong winds possibly damaging the panels with all that space underneath?
From what I've read it's a benefit to have the panels a bit higher as they run cooler and are easier to clean. They probably get more light on the backside too. It also looks like those brackets make it easy to remove the panel. As far as wind goes, I was concerned about that as well but suffice to say when I mount them, they will be solid - otherwise it doesn't get done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
I suspect this is the kit from Renogy you are referring to.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought two of these - for my three 40x80 residential panels, and am using just 4 supports per panel b/c the roof is slightly crowned in the middle. The panels are about 2" above the roof at the ends (laid across the roof) and just barely touching the roof in the middle. My roof is all aluminum.

I don't know about "glue down" but I don't trust that... So they are heavily siliconed down, but also with multiple #12 screws pre-drilled into the roof in addition. There may only be 2 #12 screws per corner into the panel's aluminum frame, but that's more than enough.

These have been rock solid through over 4000 miles of 70mph traveling now. Having them just a bit above the roof also allows for cooling ventilation, which increases the efficiency.
Those are the plastic mounts I was looking at. To me, they would be a very secure way to support the panel. Are you saying that you were able to bolt the mounts to the roof? My understanding is that they were designed to be used by people gluing them down.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

Yes, they have a flange at the bottom and I just drilled the plastic in that flange and put self-drilling #12 screws through into the roof. I also used a healthy amount of silicone as a seal and also adhesive, and the brackets are quite solid. Cleaning the roof prior to installation is key for good bonding.

As for "light on the back side" that's not a need or a benefit. There will be some light transmission through the panels anyway, but all of the work is done by the front side facing the sun. AIRFLOW however will increase the efficiency of the panels as the output drops when they run hot.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:27 AM   #7

Here's a link to a similar project I recently completed. In it, I mention how I attached the panels. They are VERY securely on the roof.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/proj...er-529010.html

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
Here's a link to a similar project I recently completed. In it, I mention how I attached the panels. They are VERY securely on the roof.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/proj...er-529010.html

Good luck!
Chris
Hi Chris!

I saw that post and I liked it - nicely done. In fact, it inspired my install. The issue that I have is that the roof on this unit seems to have a thin rubber membrane cover. Think of it like thin flexible skin that can be lifted up. As such, it cannot be glued down - it has to have mechanical attachment.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:46 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Anchors

I plan on using these Anchors when I do mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XGB1L...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I've use the on hand rails down a flight of stairs. I could lift myself up using the hand rail. These and a little dicor and I should be good to go.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hi Chris!

I saw that post and I liked it - nicely done. In fact, it inspired my install. The issue that I have is that the roof on this unit seems to have a thin rubber membrane cover. Think of it like thin flexible skin that can be lifted up. As such, it cannot be glued down - it has to have mechanical attachment.

Each of my panels has 7-8 Z-brackets to make sure they aren't going anywhere. The wood layer on top of my roof seems very thin, yet with this many brackets when I give them a pull (to test them) they feel rock solid.

Good luck!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, panel, roof