RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #1

Inverter battery combo question

I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Trojan T-145 6V batteries & 2000W inverter. Each battery has 260AH. What I really want to be able to do is run a coffee maker in the morning and watch TV in the evening without running my generator. Will this pairing work to do what I want? I have no clue about any of this other than I need a lot of amp hours.

bighamstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Two cups of coffee will use about 6 to 10 amp hours, each time you run it.

TVs use about 6 amp hours, every hour you watch TV.

4 cups of coffee in the morning and 3 hours of TV at night equals 38 amp hours from your 260 ah batteries.

You can do that, for 3 days, before you get near 50% charge, and have to charge them up.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Inverter battery combo question

Then you need to add base draw (phantom draw) of your coach ontop of that, plus any lights you use, plus any other electricity draws (computers, phones, DVR etc.). Even your inverter, when you turn it on, has some draw too.

As an example the phantom draw in our coach is around 4 amps each hour. That's almost 100 amps every single day, without us using anything else (lights, computers, TV, Internet etc.) in the rig. We're a big rig, so smaller rigs will draw less, but every rig has some kind of phantom.

So I'd say yes you can make coffee and run your TV on that setup, but you'll still need to run your generator each day to recharge your batteries.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighamstoy View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a pair of Trojan T-145 6V batteries & 2000W inverter. Each battery has 260AH. What I really want to be able to do is run a coffee maker in the morning and watch TV in the evening without running my generator. Will this pairing work to do what I want? I have no clue about any of this other than I need a lot of amp hours.
bighamstoy
Why not simply make coffee the old fashion way?....(on the propane cook top).
The new TV sets only require a 100 watt inverter and use using little battery power.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

Yes there are other things using power, but my example was on point.

Maybe he will leave his original battery to handle the other house loads, I did.

It IS good practice to charge batteries, before they get to 50%.

PS: You can probably do this with a 1000 watt inverter. My "Mr. Coffee",coffee maker, uses 700 watts. Look at yours to find the watts.

It`s all good
Old 02-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
How do you intend to replenish the batteries? They might last 2 days before asking fora charge.

We have 400AH on our setup and can watch as much as we want. However we also have 600W of Solar to get the juices back during the day.

I would as well recommend doing coffee the good old way. Uf you have a coffee machine with heating pad and forget to turn it off you will be down to no power really fast...

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
That gives you 260 AH @ 12 VDC with a recommendation to recharge after 180 AH drawdown. (Yes, you can go lower but at the cost of longevity.)

The question is how do you plan on charging them back up? The existing batteries should be sized to handle the TV so the only real issue is the coffee pot. I found this:

"When making coffee the coffee machine will use around 300 to 600 watts for 2 cups of coffee and 1000 to 1500 watts for 8-10 cups of coffee. We estimate that an average coffee maker will use 800 watts to produce 4 cups of coffee in 10 minutes."

Source:
Electricity usage of a Coffee Maker - Energy Use Calculator

From that the average coffee maker uses 800 W x 10minutes/60 min/hr or 134 WH. 134 WH /12 VDC = 11 Amp Hours

What's the rest of your power budget? You do not need a 2000 W inverter for that. ;-) You also may not need the huge batteries.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The short answer is "Yes but".. very tight

That is the absolute MINIMUM battery bank for a 2KW inverter.. the recommended battery bank, is twice that.

By the way.. When you put six volt batteries in series you do not add the amp horus, you add the voltage so the pair is 260 amp hours at 12 volts.

How well it will work depends on what is running all night long.. I have about 2x that much battery and if I leave the inverter on so the DVRs can record overnight... I won't make it to 8 am.. If I turn it off, and do not use the furnace, no problem.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. One thing I didn't know was the two 6V batteries @ 260AH each didn't equate to 520AH. That will help to know. This past weekend we dry camped, generator crapped out so I did use a tea pot to heat water for making coffee. Worked fine, but gadgets are just sooooo fun to have & use!
bighamstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the info. One thing I didn't know was the two 6V batteries @ 260AH each didn't equate to 520AH. That will help to know. This past weekend we dry camped, generator crapped out so I did use a tea pot to heat water for making coffee. Worked fine, but gadgets are just sooooo fun to have & use!
It does = 520 AH if you run it as a 6 VDC bank. Parallel and the AH ratings add, series and the smallest battery sets the limit.

If you want gadgets try Melitta drip pots, or French press's. They can be quite cool. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

A point about inverter shopping, is to check the amount of power it uses at idle.

Both of my Xantrex sinwave inverters ( 1000 & 2000 watt ) use 1/2 an amp per hour. I leave them on all the time.

Some other brands, I have seen, use up to 4 amps per hour, and will run your battery down, unless you turn them off.

Happy shopping
Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #12

Being new to RVing and a gadget geek at home I'm expecting a bit of a shock when it comes to rationing energy. In preparation for this to some extent I'm installing a Magnum 2812 2800W inverter, 450W in solar panels, and 4 new batteries.

WHICH batteries to choose are where I'm at right now. The dealer originally suggested Interstate U2200s. With 4 batteries this would give me about 460 amp hours (230 per pair).

One other option is four Lifeline GPL-6CT at 300 AH for a combined total of 600 amp hours. These would be installed laying on their sides. This made my dealer think instead of the Interstate UL16 at 380 amp hours (total 760) or even the UL16HC at 420 (total 840).

So it's all making my head spin!
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

Anthony if you are upgrading inverters check out the Magnum Hybrid 3012. It will pull power from the battery bank if your pedestal power is low. This is the direction I will go when were install or solar next month
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Hey Bigham, in my last 2 rigs we had 4- 6volt Battery's and a 80 watt solar panel. I had a 1500 watt inverter (not sure if that's enough for a coffee maker) I only used the geny for the A/C or microwave. Watched tv all night and the heater worked great! When the sun came up the battery's charged.

stinespool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, inverter