Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #1

Inverter/Trimetric Shunt/300amp fuse install questions...

Hey all,

I took the plunge and purchased a Magnum Energy ms-2012. I have a Winnebago Journey 36L which, the batteries are located on a slide out tray.

Has anyone wired this configuration before?

What I'm planning on doing(as I don't have much choice) is to use 5' 4/0 wire from the battery to inside the RV under the bed. Shunt on negative, fuse on positive, then 12" 4/0 wire to the Magnum. I know this is "backwards" from what I've read(you want the fuse as close to the batteries as possible) but I don't see I have much of a choice with the slide out tray.

Will I be OK doing it this way? The other option would be to mount the shunt and fuse outside, exposed to the elements. Plus, I'd have to build some sort of contraption to hold it to the tray that would move in/out with it.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Thanks,
Rick
reilersjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should be fine. The fuse is a 250 or 300 amp fuse used as a catastrophic failure device. It will still blow if it is 5 feet away from the batteries.

However, the 5 feet of wire is not protected. If this section of wire shorts, it will continue to be a short after the fuse blows. Use wire loom and secure it well for extra protection on this section of wire.

Edit: After re-reading your post
Thinking about it, if this section runs under your bed and shorts it could be a big problem (fire). Forget what I said above. Put the fuse on or near the battery tray to protect the entire circuit.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #3

If by "Under the bed" you mean the area that is actually in the bedroom, in an unvented space, enclosed by wood and topped by a mattress, it would be the very last place that I would consider installing an inverter/charger that gets quite hot and requires good venting and is a potential fire hazard.

Just sayin'

My rig has the factory inverter/charger in the electrical bay with the genny transfer switch and power cord storage. Reasonably vented and all metal. What sort of set-up is yours?
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #4

If you are like me, and a large portion of RVing people, and turn off the inverter at night, the noise, and heat problem would be nill.

The shorting out possibility (I wouldn't call it a problem) would still exist so an extra measure of safe installation is necessary, but it sounds as if you have already taken that into consideration.

Ed
Who usually says "Just Do It".
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 AM   #5

How about using a battery terminal mounted fuse like this one:
Samlex America (DCFA300) 300 Amp Fuse Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, install