Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2022, 11:30 AM   #1

Jackery solar chargers as whole house system

I know Jackery is a sponsor.
I was wondering if anybody here
Uses one to power their rv
These have lithium ion bats
And can supply 3600 peak 1800watts continuous. For the price of 2 battleborns
One gets a boatload of wh. And can power
An ac. Has the pure sw inverter built right in.
So why buy all the components for a solar system when this does everything just add panels??
Anyone using one of these instead of a battery bank/inverter??
https://www.harborfreight.com/3600-w...ion-59391.html
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #2

I bought a Bluetti with a real LifePO4 battery instead.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
I bought a Bluetti with a real LifePO4 battery instead.
How do you use it??
Old 06-02-2022, 04:00 PM   #4

Just like a jackery. plug solar panels into Bluetti.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Just like a jackery. plug solar panels into Bluetti.
So instead of rv batteries do you use this instead??
Old 06-26-2022, 10:09 AM   #6

AC?

The specs say 1500WH which is 125 AH at 12 volts likely wont run the AC for an hour.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #7

Why do people invest thousand into a system? Well because of what they want the system to do. If this device would actually do it all, then you are right, there is no reason for other systems.

You tell us nothing about how you plan on using this item. It is impossible to say how long it will last. If you want to run an air condition from it it will last less than an hour. If you think you are going to use solar to charge it and keep up with the A/C use you will need to add at least 2500 watts under peek performance.

If you are trying to keep a few lights, charge some phones, maybe a little TV time this would likely last a few days.

Then to charge it, they are saying it will take 5 hours, at full sun with 400 watts of solar.

For me it would work for about 3 hours during the day or about 6 at night. I need a system that can last at least 24 hours without charging.

I guess a "a boatload of wh" is all relative. ~125 AH seems quite small to me. My battery bank is over 5x as large as this and I do not have a particularly large bank compared to many.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
For the price of 2 battleborns one gets a boatload of wh.
The two Battleborns (100Ah) will give you 2400Wh instead of the Jackery's 1500Wh. The Jackery has the advantage of easy portability and a built-in inverter.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #9

Converting the advertised watt hours to amps hours equals around 125 amp hours of capacity. Can you run an RV with it? Yes, depending on the definition of run. Air conditioner, probably, but not for long. Recharge? Depends on how much you take out and what you are using to recharge. If you are sucking out a lot of capacity, you'll need something large enough to stuff it back in.

One mistake a beginner makes when calculating input/output is to forget to figure in the charging loss by things that are running during the day. You need to figure net charging, not just what the panels are putting out. So, to run an air conditioner during the day, you need enough excess charging capacity to run the load PLUS charge the battery from the night before. For just running an air conditioner, that's about 1200-1500 watts PLUS whatever you need to put into the batteries. I've never seen a set of folding panels anywhere near that large. The bad thing about air conditioners is you need them at the same time you charge your batteries.

Certainly, if you want something in a box that can run many common loads without a physical install, AND you have the room for some properly sized folding panels, then sure. It could work.

Like any solar system the real answer is: It depends. Take your expected camping style and do you best to do an energy audit, then do the math and see what you get. Since these are batteries and inverters in a box, the math is the same - Ah out vs Ah in.

One thing about built in system is once they are installed, they are there. Nothing to lift, carry, or store. With some forethought the system can be expandable in the future. I started off 10 years ago needing something so I could go four days on a remote hilltop at an astronomy conference. Just needed to keep the propane refrigerator going, run the water pump and a few LED lights. Bought a larger deep cycle battery and added a 90 watt panel and cheap controller. It didn't fully recharge the battery but did extend it's run time long enough to make it through the conference. I've since graduation to full time RVing and have a large enough system to boondock where my holding tanks are the limitation - but still no air conditioners - fans yes. That said, I just bought a smaller unit so I can throw the telescope in the car and take off to a remote site. It's big enough to run my scope and laptop for imaging at night, and to run a fan when it's hot. I got a set of folding panels for recharging. Even with that I did the math, researching the draws of my various equipment and the fan. I've installed my main system so I was going to build myself a small portable set-up. Then I decided there's something to be said just writing a check and having it arrive in a box.

As for a more direct answer to your question. You might not find an answer here because running any RV off one of these batteries isn't mainstream. You'd be better off finding something like a Van Life or backcountry RV camping forum.

Good luck.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, solar