Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

Learned something today that might help others new to solar

I installed my 300 watt Renogy system last fall and felt like it was doing "ok". But the more I thought about it, what I was seeing in the app did not make much sense.

I would see 59 or 60 volts but only an amp or two. It seemed like it kept the batteries charged up, but it just didn't make much sense to me. Till this weekend.

The batteries were down to about 60%, 12.3 volts (2 trojan T105) when I picked up the trailer to bring it to the house for the weekend to do a few things on it.

Once I pulled it out of the covered storage I checked the app and it showed 61 volts, 225 watts, about 15 amps. So I thought great, it is working.

When I got home I checked it again, about 35 min ride, and it was down to about 8 amps. So I tried to sort out why it had dropped and was not working now. I cleaned the panels (wild shot since it was fine earlier), checked connections, nothing. Still putting out low amps.

This morning I figured I just try a test to see how the batteries held up if I used a slow cooker, I want to use one when boondocking so best to try it in the driveway. When I checked the app for the controller I saw it had jumped up to almost 13 amps again...

Now the lightbulb in my head goes off. The amps on the display is not what the panels are putting out, but what the controller is sending to the batteries.

So simple, I was interpreting the display wrong.

The panels kept up with the slow cooker on high for the four hrs with no problem. So I am now a very happy, soon to be boondocking, camper.

Maybe someone else is having this same question in their minds about the Renogy app and it helps them.
rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Same issue here when I first tried to make sense of the Zamp CC display panel values. I sent a note to Zamp, and they confirmed the same display meanings that you've figured out, all by yourself.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #3

Cool that you share this, as at one time - we've all been at the 'discovering & understanding' phase. This could help someone else out in the future...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar