Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #15

I agree with most of the comments. The BMS is not an issue. It only comes into play when necessary to prevent damage (charging below 32F, excessive charge or discharge, etc.).

I also think charging will not be a problem. Your charger will not hit 14.4V until all batteries have been fully charged. The smaller ones will charge more slowly as the larger one controls the bulk stage voltage, being the last one to let voltage rise to 14.4V. When voltage hits 14.4V, all will be fully charged.

All will likely have completed cell balancing by the time you hit 14.4V. However, some LFP batteries use a short absorption stage for the balancing. So, if any one of the batteries calls for 15 or 20 minutes of absorption, you should program that into your solar controller or lithium converter. Dragging an LFP that does not need or require absorption though a short absorption stage will not materially affect life.

What I would be hesitant about is discharging. While the differences between 12V LFP batteries (even comparing small cylindrical cells to larger trapezoidal ones) are small, they might not all approach 0% or 20% SOC at the same terminal voltage (being in parallel, they will be forced to the same terminal voltage). While the BMS is not doing anything during normal operation, it does introduce a bit of voltage drop and all BMS might not introduce the same voltage drop. Additionally there are likely some small differences in cell chemistry that affect voltage (verses SOC). I.e., since LFP batteries operate over a narrow voltage range, 13.0 to 13.3V, and have exceedingly low internal impedances, even a 0.05V difference in voltage drop among BMS would loom large. I.e., one LFP might be 60% SOC at 13.15V while another is 40%. And the battery that wants a higher terminal voltage will tend to bleed charge into the others (and thus discharge more quickly).

I'm thinking that if you don't get the bank below 20% SOC very often, you will be good enough. If you get down below 20%, one battery might deplete before the others, or at least get closer to 0% than the others. The BMS isn't going to help with this. The BMS is there for catestrophic protection and not there to avoid mild mistreatment. Some batteries like Battleborn 100AH aren't depleted until voltage hits 8.8V (2.2V per bank of cells) and surely you won't be going there!!

My long way of saying what others have. You are okay. Not ideal by any means, but okay. Still I'd avoid deep bank discharges to the extent possible.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #16

That really answered my question well. I am not a big poweer user, so i will most likely never get below 40%. And that would be only on cloudy days.
Thanks for the time and information.
Chuck
05 Dolphin #5342
Chuck Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium