Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lithium battery installation causing power fault and charger shutdown.

See enclosed monitor panel pictures at:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/95vtusmf4nZRNko59

While at the FMC a rally in Tucson April 2022 we had our batteries upgraded to 8 Lion Safari UT 1300 105Ah lithium units with a Victron Energy Smart Shunt 500A/50mV and lithium battery bay shutoff switch. A PCI tech contacted said I did not need a 12V DC to DC Converter as their factory installed system on our 2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4362 is compatible for lithium upgrade with their factory Lithium Battery Isolation Manager (Li-BIM). The Magnum Energy transfer switch settings were re-set for the lithium conversion. The goal was to run the rear AC overnight. To accomplish this the rear AC was rewired ‘outside’ the EMS system and all was well on the 2 week trip home to Ohio. Rear AC will now run for approximately 8 hours overnight as we had hoped.
Returning home to indoor storage we plug into 50amp shore power with fridge off and essentially no load. I came back a week later and noticed this red light power fault. The charger in the basement was silent with no lights on and it was not running. I turned off the shore power overnight, turned off the inverter breaker in the half bath & shut off the new lithium battery switch in that bay. The following morning I turned on the 50 amp service, turned the inverter breaker on and normal charging was again noted. The following day the same red fault light was blinking again and the Magnum panel green charger light was blinking indicating the charger is off in stand by position. The same fault seen before.
Everything now is left off again as this cycle cannot be good for the system which seems to charge normally, but once reaching full charge this apparently does not shut itself off at the upper fully charged limit causing the red light fault to shut down.
Can someone tell me the setting that is missing as the Tucson installer is at a loss to explain this. Refer to the GOOGLE PHOTOS pictures attached - (the first five) of the panel with the fault. The next 2 after the inverter picture are after the ‘return to normal charging’ after the system is off overnight. The next long sequence of pictures after the ‘Victron 97% state of charge’ shows all of my Magnum settings scrolled through.
Does anyone have a recommendation of which setting may be incorrect triggering this apparent over-charge fault charger shutoff?
Otherwise, can anyone recommend a phone troubleshooter for this resolution as we are all experiencing significant delay getting service appointments?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAULT.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	373098  
Contender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It could be that your battery BMS is going into some sort of protect or fault mode and blocking current from the charger. The odd think is that all of them would have to do that. Is your accept voltage set to high? I've included my setting below.

What version of ME RC do you have and do you have the correct manual for it. You can download a PDF manual from Magnum.

This is from my ME RC Manual which indicated Rev 2.8 or higher. Mine is about 5 years old so there could be a new manual.

Internal Charger appears on the
LCD. The FAULT (red) LED is on. The
PWR (green), CHG (green), and INV
(green) LEDs are off.

Internal Charger – The inverter shut down because while charging,
the charger circuit is attempting to provide maximum current, but is not
detecting any current or voltage rise to the battery bank.

What are you settings?

I use the customer battery.
14.2 Accept
13.6 Float
14.2 Equalize
Final Charge Float
Charge Rate 100%
Absorb time .1 hour

The Lion 1300 have a charge SOC and a reset but I don't see anyway to get more info like a Bluetooth app or a data port.

You might need to contact lion energy to get help understanding how to diagnose the battery BMS.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #3

some lithium battery need a slightly higher then normal to unlock the BMS once they have gone into shutdown mode. You need to call the battery manufacture to see if this is the case.

Tags
battery, charger, install, installation, lithium, power