Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Anderson Power Pole connectors are rated for 10,000 connect\disconnects. I use both Anderson and SAE but for heavy use\high current applications in my experience Andersons are a better option.
Yes I know Anderson's claim. I also know that SAE connectors last many reconnections, but I'm guessing not 10,000. Anderson's can break/distort easily when stepped on. SAE's can distort just as easily. We have three 15' cables with SAE connectors. We have used three only once, but it was needed.

I do choose Anderson connectors when they are located in an area not prone to abuse.

One needs to choose the connector for their situation they're comfortable with and we're giving the poster options.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Anderson Power Pole connectors are rated for 10,000 connect\disconnects. I use both Anderson and SAE but for heavy use\high current applications in my experience Andersons are a better option. MC4 is not a connector to be connected\disconnected frequently.
That is for the silver plated contacts. Tin will not hold up as well, and would benefit from contact cleaner/dressing. Per 3M "The Tin Commandments"
High DC voltage is an issue, 48v (mine) or 96v (2 in series). Are the connectors your handling water proofed? Can you reliably take precautions like throwing a towel over the panel? They make IP64 boots.
https://powerwerx.azureedge.net/prod.../ds-sbboot.pdf
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
MC4, Anderson, or SAE connectors are NOT designed to be reconnected numerous times. Anderson and SAE connectors are easy to use, but MC4 connectors can be a PITA. We chose SAE connectors: they are smaller, more robust, and less prone to breakage.

We do have MC4 connectors for the panels on our roof though. We rarely use our portable so our portable connectors should last a long, long time.

Enjoy,

Perry
I have to disagree on the Anderson's not being designed for reconnections.
They are rated for over 100k disconnects, they are used on electric forklifts that have the batteries swapped daily.
I'd feel comfortable using them.
The sae's seem like they would be fine as well. Dont look as robust as the power poles though.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepines View Post
I have to disagree on the Anderson's not being designed for reconnections.
They are rated for over 100k disconnects, they are used on electric forklifts that have the batteries swapped daily.
I'd feel comfortable using them.
The sae's seem like they would be fine as well. Dont look as robust as the power poles though.
I see we've gone from 10,000 to 100,000 re-connections. Doesn't matter. I doubt I'll wear out my SAE's.

I've stepped on and broken a couple of Anderson connectors that were on the ground, that's why I'll put up with SAE's that distort, but can be straightened. If we didn't have a connection on the ground I'd probably have Andersons.

Again, the poster has viable options.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #19

Haha Come on you shouldn't be stepping on any connections. Plus connections off the ground is good practice if applicable. Well that is my practice, cant speak for others. I completely understand what you mean with the connectors.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Has anyone converted a panel to a portable suitcase type?
suitcase is kind of the wrong wording but it's the general idea.

I don't want to install panels on the roof of my TT so I was thinking
I could just add some angle aluminum to the frame and set them on the ground.
1-2 panels tops, get one of those shipping blankets to wrap around and store on top of the bed while going down the road. (secured of course)

I don't like the price or the efficiency of the flex panels or other suitcase types I've seen so far. I know the "mounted" ones will be a bit bulky to
handle. Being able to park where I want, seems like a reasonable tradeoff to me.
I used the DIY build details in this Adventurous Way blog post to build my 200 watt portable solar last year. I used the same Renogy panels they did but used a different charge controller and connection to the battery. As my camper has a Zamp port on the side I used an SAE connector between the charge controller and the Zamp port and the MC4 connectors between the panels and the charge controller. I wired the panels in series and have the charge controller next to the Zamp port instead of out at the panels. As we often camp in more forested areas the ability to move the panels around and keep the trailer cooler in the shade was a compromise I was fine with. Last fall we did close to 2 weeks dry camping in Utah and Idaho and only ran the generator once, mainly to see how well the new PD4655 converter/charger did compared to the old WFCO it replaced.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Do the legs adjust for angle or is it just 1 angle?
I can see the mc4 connections not holding up, how about anderson connectors?
I could make them adjust. Just drill more screw holes.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #22

I purchased two 100W panels for my Ford E350 van I'm converting into a minimal camper. I decided to mount one on the roof and make a portable panel out of the second one to use with both the van and to augment the 320W I'll be installing on my MH.

Anderson Powerpole connectors are pretty much standard with ham radio operators. Beware of knock-offs.

Anderson Powerpole connectors are best installed via a specialized crimper but they can be installed "manually". Here's a link to a video on how to do this:

https://www.instructables.com/Crimpi...oles-Manually/
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You could get fancy add some hinges, a latch, fold down legs, and a carr uh ing handle. Make it when Closes the two glass panels are facing each other.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Haha Come on you shouldn't be stepping on any connections. Plus connections off the ground is good practice if applicable. Well that is my practice, cant speak for others. I completely understand what you mean with the connectors.

I agree, you shouldn't be stepping on any connectors. There's theory and then there's actual practice. BTDT!

I could lift the connectors off the ground for someone to trip over, but I'm too lazy.

Enjoy,

Perry

Tags
solar