RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Mini-Split AC Consumption Data Wanted

Does anyone have a mini-split system in their RV with actual utilization data?

My two roof AC units pull roughly 2.6kW (fans on high, compressors running) and I am looking at the option of a 24-30K mini-split to replace them, which will allow me to cram a total of 3900w on the roof.

I really want to make off-grid AC a reality, but need more data to see if the numbers are going to work. We like to live in an icebox.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 12.47.41.png
Views:	14
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	277484

n0arp is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Our coach has two Duo-therm roof A/Cs. When one's running it pulls about 140a at 12v nominal, about 1800w.

CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Our coach has two Duo-therm roof A/Cs. When one's running it pulls about 140a at 12v nominal, about 1800w.
Thanks, but I already have all the data I need on my conventional rooftop AC units. I'm looking for the consumption data of mini-split units.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
Thanks, but I already have all the data I need on my conventional rooftop AC units. I'm looking for the consumption data of mini-split units.

An interesting place to ask would be the Spaceccraft owners Facebook page. Several of those guys are running mini splits
Old 03-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This might help

Off grid solar powered air conditioner.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I ran across those and am very interested - but somewhat hesitant to replace two 15K BTU units with two 12K BTU units. I love the idea of the potential extra efficiency and keeping these loads off my inverters.

That being said, I was only looking at 24K BTU shared between the two 240V air handlers - just with the ability to push more than 12K into one room with an 18K handler.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:36 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I live over in Thailand, and 99% of all A/C are the Mini-Splits, and they have the Inverter models now, that use about half of the energy of the older ones!
That said, I looked at the user manual for our last Mini-Split we bought, a Inverter model Mitsubishi 9000, (it is in Thai) and I can tell you, it is very quiet, and will cool the whole downstairs of our house, if we want it to! It is a 240V model, so it would not work for your MH, but just used as a example!
I would google the manufactures like Mitsubishi, Trane, Hitachi, LG, etc. and see the spec's you need!
One thing, the difference between a MS and a regular roof top A/C are huge, the efficiency, noise, and just the cooling power of the MS is way greater, and will cool the same area, using half of the power, and BTU's!
The biggest hurdle is finding a place in your RV for the outside and the inside unit!
Go to "The Bus Grease Monkey" you tube channel, and see the big solar system he has installed, with a bank of Battle Born batteries and a huge solar bank on his roof, and it will run one of his roof airs now, and he is thinking about adding a inverter MS, so he can add more solar panel's to his roof!
I would like to do this too, but do not have a place to put the inside unit, without removing cabinets!
The haters will say that BTU's is BTU's, and a MS will not cool better than a same size Roof air! BS, plain and simple! I proved it in my semi many years ago, that half the size BTU (7000K) output MS, cools better that the 15K BTU roof air! And way more efficient!
Rail!
Old 03-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
I live over in Thailand, and 99% of all A/C are the Mini-Splits, and they have the Inverter models now, that use about half of the energy of the older ones!
That said, I looked at the user manual for our last Mini-Split we bought, a Inverter model Mitsubishi 9000, and I can tell you, it is very quiet, and will cool the whole downstairs of our house, if we want it to! It is a 240V model, so it would not work for your MH, but just used as a example!
I would google the manufactures like Mitsubishi, Trane, Hitachi, LG, etc. and see the spec's you need!
One thing, the difference between a MS and a regular roof top A/C are huge, the efficiency, noise, and just the cooling power of the MS is way greater, and will cool the same area, using half of the power, and BTU's!
The biggest hurdle is finding a place in your RV for the outside and the inside unit!
Go to "The Bus Grease Monkey" you tube channel, and see the big solar system he has installed, with a bank of Battle Born batteries and a huge solar bank on his roof, and it will run one of his roof airs now, and he is thinking about adding a inverter MS, so he can add more solar panel's to his roof!
I would like to do this too, but do not have a place to put the inside unit, without removing cabinets!
The haters will say that BTU's is BTU's, and a MS will not cool better than a same size Roof air! BS, plain and simple! I proved it in my semi many years ago, that half the size BTU (7000K) output MS, cools better that the 15K BTU roof air! And way more efficient!
Rail!
We have full 240V AC service available in our rig, so we're specifically looking at 240V units. Even single leg shore power sources (generator, 30A shore, etc) are stepped up to 240V before our inverter inputs. I have two locations picked out that just about any indoor wall unit will fit - and a couple options for the outdoor unit.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
That said, I looked at the user manual for our last Mini-Split we bought, a Inverter model Mitsubishi 9000, (it is in Thai) and I can tell you, it is very quiet, and will cool the whole downstairs of our house, if we want it to! It is a 240V model, so it would not work for your MH, but just used as a example!
Rail!

BTUs *are* BTUs but not all COPs are created equal...
Old 03-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
BTUs *are* BTUs but not all COPs are created equal...
But one question is - do my rooftop units actually produce 15K BTU? Especially after five years?
Old 03-09-2020, 11:05 PM   #11

Ten 250-watt panels and 16 golf cart batteries? I hope you are rich. (oh I forgot, everyone on the internet is rich).
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Ten 250-watt panels and 16 golf cart batteries? I hope you are rich. (oh I forgot, everyone on the internet is rich).
Not rich, but setting my rig up for off-grid is a priority for me.

I currently have 6x325w panels and will be adding at least three more in the near future. 15.2kWh of 48V Lithium. It's a large system, but there are some much larger ones out there.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:15 PM   #13

Where will you put all those batteries?
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper25 View Post
Where will you put all those batteries?
I already have them installed. They are lithium - fairly small in footprint.

Four of https://simpliphipower.com/wp-conten...tion-sheet.pdf