RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #1

My 675 Watts of Solar is up and running Video and Pictures

Recap I found 3, 225 watt Residential panels locally at a good price of 99 cents per watt.
With the help of the forum I chose a Morning Star 60 amp MPPT controller.
And a Bogart 2030-RV, Total amp hours of 510 4-6 volt battery's
Please let me know if i have made any mistakes in my install.
Total investment of $1600.00 prox. not including battery's of course.
Notice My custom made Mounting / hinge brackets.
Patent pending... "not really"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_152405.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	80481   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141130_133144.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	80482  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141129_224516.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	80483   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141112_154346.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	80486  

Attached Files

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #2

Let us know how much load you can place on your system regularly and still maintain decent battery charge ...
I have a 500w panel system...4 battery (6v type) 230 amp hour system with a TS45 controller....I run a 1000 w inverter and can run the frig...minor microwave use...minor toaster use...minor coffee pot use....occasional TV...water pump...all nite medical equipment...and lights.... Have not done any cold weather MH use to see if the furnace blower would play a big negative on the system if I added that device. That would amount to the best extent of the system in my install without expanding it to handle more daytime electrical use.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Very nice. What batteries did you use to get 510 amp/hrs? Most GC2 batteries give 225 to 235 amp/hrs giving you 450 to 470 amp/hrs.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #4

Looks good. You probably have room for another 2 or 3 panels. We have six x 235 W panels (3 each in series and then both series in parallel for 90 V) so that the Morning Star 60 amp MPPT controller is only handling 14 amps at 1330 watt maximum power.

The mountings looks strong. Do you plan to tilt? and if so, to what angle?

Thanks for sharing.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

I went with Deka GC45 battery's 255 20 ah each
They are a little taller then the T-105's I wanted to make the most for the space that I had in my battery box.

Yes i plan on tilting but I have not decided on how to make them yet.
Probably something with a series of holes so I can choose different angles.

As a test I plugged up a ceramic heater and let it run for over an hour and it took the battery's down to 85 percent.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #6

Yes looks good. I have the same battery box as you. In mine I have three house batteries and one starting battery. You have four house batteries - so where is your starting battery located?
bbtyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, nice install. Your going to like not having to worry about your power. You don,t need to keep it plugged in. You will be boon-docking more.

Get this software. You can monitor the panels performance.
Search - Morningstar Support

I would be worried about your hinge pin coming loose going down the highway. Take a look at these locking pins with a wire retainer.

McMaster-Carr

Also, your cables are loose on the roof, they can vibrate and flap in the wind, they should be secured. I just used Dicor to hold mine down.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

Bbtyan I put my engine starting battery in the bay that is on the left side of my door / battery box.
I had to move the water pump on to the side behind charge the controller.
I was able to use the original battery cables also.
Here is a Video of how i did it
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #9

MG thanks for the link
I looked for some of those locally but i could not find any.
Yes on the next warm day i will get out the Dicor.
What kind of useful info will the software give me that will be better than my Bogart 2030-rv ?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:29 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The software is free. It gives you trending data. Do it now for a baseline data, then you can check it in the future if problems arise. You can also use it to test different controller configurations. Like seting different absorbtion levels or time, you can setup a wintertime setting and a summertime setting for best operation. Granite, this is more for the hardcore users, but it doesn't cost anything but a cable and some laptop time. You can even setup your controller on your local network and monitor it from any computer and anyone you give the address and password to can look at it too.

What about securing your chassis battery? It looks like a standard "wedge" style hold down would work if you don't mind drilling a hole in the floor of the compartment.

I see a lot of corrosion from your old 2 -12 volt batteries. Have you ever thought about using mineral oil in your batteries? I put 4 Oz in each cell over 2 years ago and do not have any corrosion. I do get a light oil film that I wipe away every time I top off my batteries with distilled water. Search this forum, there is a lot of information on this subject. At the very least, I would put a light coating of vasoline on the terminals. The vasoline melts around 100 degrees and will coat the terminals, once coated, the terminals are not exposed to air. No air, no corrosion formation.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar