Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

My new inverter set up

I'm on my solar journey and I'm learning. I mostly want to use my Dish Sat'l at night and in the morning while I'm boondocking. I have the following:

2 golf cart batteries
340W of solar panels
Westinghouse iGen 2500 generator

I'm adding the following in the storage compartment of my TT
I like this because it has a remote on/off switch.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll just run this to where I need it.

The cable run will be less then 5 feet.

I will connect directly to the batteries.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

It's fun, the research on what components you want use (And for most, a balance between price and choosen components!).

One tip for the future, was shared with me while I was doing a battery upgrade and solar install, is that genuine dealz has a good quality cable, connectors and will do them right as far as putting the connectors onto the cable ends. So you might want to check their sight, for future cabling needs. Also very knowledgable customer service, the few times I've called with questions.

Good luck to you on your project. Bet the new trailer seems rather spacial after the Casita!

Best.
Smitty

https://www.genuinedealz.com
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

If that is all you want run off inverter, your solar and batteries will be able to keep up, as long as you have good sun.

I did not see a solar controller on your list, you want a MPPT, but not critical for this small a system.

You might also want a battery monitor. Good for lots of info.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #4

6 gauge wire for a 1000 watt inverter is a bit light, even with a short run. You could double up both 6 gauge wires.

Their 600 watt unit comes with heavier and shorter cables then your proposing.

Go to Auto Zone and get 2, 2 gauge battery cables. If they don't have what you need, go with genuinedealz.

They even have a voltage drop calculator.

You should also put a fuse near the battery to protect the wiring from melting down, if it develops a short or is overloaded.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
6 gauge wire for a 1000 watt inverter is a bit light, even with a short run. You could double up both 6 gauge wires.

Go to Auto Zone and get 2, 2 gauge battery cables. If they don't have what you need, go with genuinedealz.

You should also put a fuse near the battery to protect the wiring from melting down, if it develops a short or is overloaded.
Twinboat - That's a good call on the heavier gauge and adding the fuse. Safety should be apart of any good design!

Good luck OP, have fun...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I hope you don't mind us sharing some thoughts...

I didn't see a fuse in your list.

First,...I would probably look at a higher ampacity wire gauge than 6awg. The manual for this inverter tells you...the included cables are for low output. If you want higher output, then you must use larger cables. It also shows installing a fuse between the battery and inverter. They say 40A x 4... I guess that is a 160A fuse???

This actually makes sense.

At a continuous 1000w and 12.6v nominal battery.

1000w/12.6v = 79.36 amps

If you were to go to low voltage cutout...

1000w/10v= 100 amps

At surge of 2000w

2000w/12.6v = 158.7 amps...

I think if it were me...I would use 2awg and a 160A catastrophic fuse inline. The fuse should be on the bulkhead nearest the battery...then a run to the inverter from there.

The two golf cart batteries are probably going to yield you about 225aH...

If your normal drain from the satellite receiver draws 300w. Then 300w/12v=25a

50% of your storage would be 112.5aH

112.5aH ÷ 25A = 4.5 hrs of tv.

I guess what I am getting at is that you might want twice as many batteries.

Just throwing out ideas.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
https://powertechon.com/wp-content/u...rint_ready.pdf

Not much...but that’s a manual for the Inverter.

I see that twinboat and I are on the same page...
Old 09-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:

Typing on phone. Short message.
Planning to connect directly to batteries.
Fuse still needed?I
Size?
In line ok?
Type recommended?
Thxs
Old 09-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you go with 2AWG

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...bQL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...=t+fuse+holder

The fuse is designed...like your circuit breaker panel at home...to prevent a catastrophic event. If the wire from the battery is accidentally shorted to ground it will arc, spark, potentially catch your rig on fire...and the wire will heat up like an oven element. It is desirable to keep the wire going to the fuse a short distance. The wire going beyond the fuse to the inverter will now blow the fuse if that segment shorts out or your inverter has a melt down...and protect you and your rig.

You could also look at ANL type fuses. They are less expensive for some reason the T-Fuses. Or perhaps a breaker that you can check for damage or loose conections... then reset if needed...

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB18...JKD6MX529V06H8

Every positive lead off the battery should have protection. Here is a photo of the three heavy hitters on our rig...and the two tiny leads which are battery to battery monitors have small inline fuses as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180301_152214.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	220900  
Old 09-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
If you go with 2AWG

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...bQL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...=t+fuse+holder

The fuse is designed...like your circuit breaker panel at home...to prevent a catastrophic event. If the wire from the battery is accidentally shorted to ground it will arc, spark, potentially catch your rig on fire...and the wire will heat up like an oven element. It is desirable to keep the wire going to the fuse a short distance. The wire going beyond the fuse to the inverter will now blow the fuse if that segment shorts out or your inverter has a melt down...and protect you and your rig.

You could also look at ANL type fuses. They are less expensive for some reason the T-Fuses. Or perhaps a breaker that you can check for damage or loose conections... then reset if needed...

https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-CB18...JKD6MX529V06H8

Every positive lead off the battery should have protection. Here is a photo of the three heavy hitters on our rig...and the two tiny leads which are battery to battery monitors have small inline fuses as well.
I currently have 6 gauge wire.

I don't understand those fuses you liked to. They look huge! Fromm 150A to 400A ... 160V??????

Shouldn't the be much lower? In automobiles the amp fuses are lower like 20 amp.

This chart says max is 80 amp for 6 gauge.
Wire Sizes and Fuses

If you don't mind me asking. How could 80 amps or more go from the 2 golf cart batteries I have to the inverter? Another thing I don't understand.

Thanks

PS - I just ordered this 80 amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Car-Audio-Inl...mp+inline+fuse
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

A 120 volt device ( coffee pot ? ) will draw 10 times as many amps at 12 volts.

So your inverter will need 50 amps@ 12 volts from the batteries to make 5 amps @ 120 volts.

So a 1000 watt inverter has the potential to draw 83 amps from your battery, if you ask it to make 8.3 amps, 120 volts.

Look at what you want to run, it will have a watt rating on it. Add all of the things you want to run at once to get total watts.

TV = 100 watts, DirecTV box = 150 watts, sound bar = 50 watts. ( I'm guessing here )

Say it adds up to 300 watts. 300 ÷ 12 volts= 25 amps from your batteries. That's also 25 AH or amp hours if you watch TV for 1 hour.

Or 300 watts ÷ 120 volts= 2.5 amps from shore power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
A 120 volt device ( coffee pot ? ) will draw 10 times as many amps at 12 volts.

So your inverter will need 50 amps@ 12 volts from the batteries to make 5 amps @ 120 volts.

So a 1000 watt inverter has the potential to draw 83 amps from your battery, if you ask it to make 8.3 amps, 120 volts.

Look at what you want to run, it will have a watt rating on it. Add all of the things you want to run at once to get total watts.

TV = 100 watts, DirecTV box = 150 watts, sound bar = 50 watts. ( I'm guessing here )

Say it adds up to 300 watts. 300 ÷ 12 volts= 25 amps from your batteries. That's also 25 AH or amp hours if you watch TV for 1 hour.

Or 300 watts ÷ 120 volts= 2.5 amps from shore power.
Thanks - I was thinking that there may be some unusual circumstance that would cause too many amps on the inverter imput wires. I wasn't thinking about normal usage.

I'm only using my DirectTV Wally for the inverter. Is it possible that the Wally only uses 7.9W????
https://www.mydish.com/support/energy-efficiency

The only other things I may use it for are a laptop. My TV is 12V.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I currently have 6 gauge wire.

I don't understand those fuses you liked to. They look huge! Fromm 150A to 400A ... 160V??????

Shouldn't the be much lower? In automobiles the amp fuses are lower like 20 amp.

This chart says max is 80 amp for 6 gauge.
Wire Sizes and Fuses

If you don't mind me asking. How could 80 amps or more go from the 2 golf cart batteries I have to the inverter? Another thing I don't understand.

Thanks

PS - I just ordered this 80 amp.
https://www.amazon.com/Car-Audio-Inl...mp+inline+fuse
The wire size is to meet the max surge...which can draw up to around 160A momentarlily... so, by adding 6 avg wire and an 80A fuse (6awg, I believe is rated for 55 to 75A depending on the temperature rating of the insulating jacket.) ...as long as you run light loads you'll be fine. If you decide to make a pot of coffee, you will blow the fuse. Also...the larger the conductor prevents line drop in voltage. If we drop voltage, there must be a proportional increase in amperage draw to run the same load wattage.

If you just run the satellite...you'll be fine. Your amp draw will be manageable. But your inverter could potentially run larger draw items if short duration.... like reheating leftovers in the microwave... that when you'd need a larger wire/fuse combo.

The chart you have is more than likely automotive or marine rated... Automotive use allows higher amps for two reasons. Air circulation around the wire...and most have temp ratings of 105 degrees C. If you use that good wire like they sell at West Marine. If you read the fine printed info on the insulation you will probably see a 105 degree temp rating.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:42 PM   #14

The greatest strength of amazon is that consumers can post reviews of their experiences.

Perhaps consider to read them before buying your selected items, and not just the ones planted by the company selling a product.

Tags
inverter