Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New 100 watt panel installed, need some reassurance

Some one please reassure me that with the solar feeding thru the charge controller attached to the house batteries won't harm my factory 12volt charger/12volt house fuse/breaker panel.
I understand when on shore power or running the gennie the solar has to be disconnected.
I'm just worried about back feeding into the stock charger & burning something out.
I'm new to tying into the 12 volt RV electrical.
Mikee

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

"I understand when on shore power or running the gennie the solar has to be disconnected."

This statement is throwing me. My solar is connected all of the time. Never a problem.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar controller is just a battery charger. Muliple chargers connected at the same time is ok.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
You have nothing to worry about there.

On a good day, you might get close to 100 watts.

Most likely you will only see 50-75 watts because of the angle the sun will hit the panel.

The batteries will be up enough in voltage that most likely the charge controller will have cut off anyway if you are hooked to shore power and your charger is going.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
BobbyF

BobbyF

The way I read it. If you don't have an automatic disconnect on your electrical when on AC power the 2 chargers or Inverter will fight themselves.
I think the way it was explained.. Inverter try's to charge the batteries while at the same time the AC voltage tells the onboard charger to charge the batteries.
Then the solar is trying to charge also.
I think if it's a factory install the auto disconnect is already there.
Mine doesn't have any solar from the factory.
Just a big electrical circle is created.
Hope that makes some kind of sense.
Mikee

Old 12-26-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Unplanned.....
Going to add another 100 or 120 watt panel in the near future. I have another Harbor freight 45 watt I may add to the system just for a little more juice . It's not very efficient but I bought it 4 years ago. Been out of the box once. Planning to do some dry camping this year. Also need to find a place for 2 more batteries, only 2 right now. The big pusher we used to have had 4,-6 volt batteries.
Thanks for the reply.
Mikee

Old 12-26-2019, 07:39 PM   #7

There is no "fighting" of smart charge controllers (or even dumb ones to a point). As the batteries charge their voltage increases which pushes against the charging current slowing it down. Charging controller don't know the difference between battery voltage going up or another charger putting a higher voltage on the system. Bottom line is, when the batteries are fully charged whether they get the charging current from 1 or 3 chargers, any chargers connected to the battery should go into "float mode" which maintains the charged batteries voltage but doesn't really force any charging current down the batteries throat; so everybody will be happy at about 13 VDC.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #8

Ah, I think I get what you're talking about.

I use the "fool your system into thinking inverter power is shore power" hookup. Many people do. I plug my shore power cord into the inverter when I'm off shore power. Everything then runs from the solar-charged-batteries-to-the-inverter just as if you're on shore power. No additional outlets or circuits needed.

So, I always unplug my converter-charger from the inverter power when I'm NOT plugged into shore power or the generator - i.e., when I'm using the inverter - so that I'm not running my converter to charge my batteries to power my inverter to run my converter to charge my batteries to . . .

I think this is what you're talking about.

This guy explains it better than I can:

How to Disconnect the Converter Charger Automatically When Using an Inverter - RV With Tito

If you don't do this, you won't damage anything, but you will slowly drain your batteries.

Old 12-26-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

Wow, that's pretty complex and a lot of unnecessary work. As others have said, each charger will back down at their high side voltage regulator set points. No need to disconnect anything.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:03 PM   #10

You can't believe many things you see on utube. My inverter/charger is on all the time, and my solar through the solar controllers are on all the time, [in the daytime anyway]. Battery SOC will tell controllers or chargers to reduce current and/or voltage automatically.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As already stated they all just work together .. assuming they are all set the same. There is no backfeeding .. panels/ controllers prevent that. Your overthinking it, there are no issues
Old 12-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #12

"My inverter/charger is on all the time . . ."

What I'm describing doesn't apply if you have a combo inverter/charger - only when you have them as two separate units. Like I do - like many do. Not sure how class A's work - I have a C.

And then, it definitely applies.

It's not a backfeed issue - it's a matter of setting up a charging/discharging loop that, because of inefficiencies, slowly kills your battery charge. It's a variation of the perpetual-motion-machine problem.

This might not be what the OP was speaking of, but it's the only situation close to what he was describing that I can think of.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
"My inverter/charger is on all the time . . ."

What I'm describing doesn't apply if you have a combo inverter/charger - only when you have them as two separate units. Like I do - like many do. Not sure how class A's work - I have a C.

And then, it definitely applies.

It's not a backfeed issue - it's a matter of setting up a charging/discharging loop that, because of inefficiencies, slowly kills your battery charge. It's a variation of the perpetual-motion-machine problem.

This might not be what the OP was speaking of, but it's the only situation close to what he was describing that I can think of.
You are talking about charging you batteries with the batteries, a effort doomed to fail.

The OP is talking about charging batteries with 2 independent charging systems, something that is fine, and done all the time.

Solar controllers, engine alternators and 120 volt battery chargers are all voltage regulated. There is no danger of overcharging your batteries or damaging your equipment with them.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:33 PM   #14

"You are talking about charging you batteries with the batteries, a effort doomed to fail."

Yep. Exactly.

"The OP is talking about charging batteries with 2 independent charging systems, something that is fine, and done all the time."

Okay. That's what threw me. I couldn't see what he was worried about, so I found my own problem. Thanks.

Tags
install, led, panel