Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #15

We hope to go to the beach quite a bit here on the Gulf coast (we're in the Houston area). They're not the greatest beaches in the world but it is what we have and my wife loves it there. Sort of like a beach house without the homeowners rates higher than the mortgage payment, and without having it get wiped out by a hurricane every 15 years... All the trips that we plan on going out West it wouldn't have as much of a use. However, the solar would allow us to be at the beach and elsewhere and run the refrigerator off the batteries without the noise of the generator, which would be a welcome quiet time.
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
My primary joy of having solar is the silent battery charging and not having to bring a generator or a gas can. Some of us use our trailers where the air conditioning needs are minimal and go away when the sun goes down.

Solar is much cheaper when you have the ability to install it yourself.

I have camped off grid for 90 percent of the time because we enjoy dark places without close neighbors using lights or campfires which interfere with our enjoyment of the stars.

The payback is not financial, but the silence enjoyed by my family and neighbors.
He was looking at 2 MHs (twice as big as your TT)...not going to meet their energy needs even with your 1405W of solar.

OP, any time you need a high amp item (micro, hair dryer, coffee pot) you run the generator. especially with only 600W of solar ASSUMING the controller is big enough to add 2 more panels. A 2000’s rig is a good choice so the damage from salt air will not cost you as much, compared to the damage on a newer rig.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
He was looking at 2 MHs (twice as big as your TT)...not going to meet their energy needs even with your 1405W of solar.

OP, any time you need a high amp item (micro, hair dryer, coffee pot) you run the generator. especially with only 600W of solar ASSUMING the controller is big enough to add 2 more panels. A 2000’s rig is a good choice so the damage from salt air will not cost you as much, compared to the damage on a newer rig.
You are speaking if they have lead style battery that the generator would be needed?
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post

From what I've read and experienced is that some folks have a different concept on how a solar system works.

This is not meant to slam Ivylog but his post directly to the point.

The purpose of solar is to charge a battery bank, not to "power" stuff. The battery bank is the source for powering stuff although during charging power gets sidetracked to whatever load is on the electrical system, hence less or zero charging, or discharge.

When thought of as using the solar to replenish the battery bank the keys are amp hours used per day and the amount of storage available. This is why a battery monitoring solution is quite important in a solar installation, and not one of those idiot light cheapo gizmos from the factory. Something that monitors the amount (AHs) per day in and out of the battery bank is most desireable.

A very rough rule of thumb is 30 AH per 100 watts of solar, totaling in this recent example 180 AH per day gain.

Example: 1300 watt hair dryer and 200 watts for inverter inefficiency. 1500 watts total. Battery bank consisting of four lead acid batteries totaling 440 AHs of storage(not uncommon). One one need to draw 150 amps from a 12 volt system, less than a forty amp draw from each battery. A good pull but doable. Running that hair dryer for 12 minutes is 1/5th of an hour. Consumption would be 30 AHs from the 440 AH battery bank. Certainly doable.

This is why setting up an electrical "budget" is so important for a solar setup. And sizing the battery system for big draws is also critical.

Their are a lot of ways to reduce the electrical budget, some folks choose not to adjust and just want the RV to be used "normally". Coffee making is a good example. A cheapo drip grinder with a warming plate having to remain on because of the glass pot uses a bunch of electricity. Anything with a hot water reserve likely uses even more(I have no data for this point, just guessing). A drip grinder with a thermo pot uses less, but still a pretty good pull from a battery bank. We have moved on to pour over coffee, heating water on the cook top. An Aeropress or french press are other options, even cowboy coffee. This option reduces electrical use for coffee making to zero.

I run with one 100AH house battery in my class B and boondock about 70-80% of time, up to two weeks at a spot, at which point I need to do the fill and empty water tank dance. That's if I'm solo, one week with the wifey. Trips have ranged up to four months.

My electrical usage averages 20-25 AHs/day unless it is really cold out. I use LP for all of the "heavy lifting" energy uses, fridge, hot water, etc. If I want to use the toaster oven or microwave the genny gets fired up.

I have 150 watts of portable solar. It tends to be more efficient because of the collection angle so 60 AHs would be a reasonable daily harvest, roughly. It's usually on float by noon or so. This also ensures that the battery is fully charged on a daily bases(at least when the sun is shining), important for lead acid/AGM batteries. This setup cost less than $500 including 50 feet of extension wire, chain, and locks.

Different folks have different wants, needs, budgets, and styles for camping. One has to get a feel for how they want to do things and set up accordingly. And likely evolve that over time. For some people solar is for "looky here, I have solar". For me and some others it is a hassle free and quiet way to enjoy the outdoors in an RV. If plugged in most of time I see no justification for solar.

Key thought process to take away, solar is used to replenish batteries, not to power stuff.

Again, not meant to offend anyone.

Wow, this got long winded. Sorry.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Whether or not solar is worth it? Depends on how you use your RV and what you expect from it.

I am a retired, disabled Vet and I like to boondock... a lot. I am currently purchasing the materials and parts to replace my old EPDM roof with a new TPO roof. During this I will be installing between 8-10 solar panels on the roof. Depends on a few other plans that include removing the rear AC in favor of a Dual-Zone Mini-Split AC. I will also have about ~1000w of ground deploy flexible panels.

My goal is to build out this rig for long-term boondocking, and possibly using the vehicle as my 'Bug-out' vehicle. Self-sufficiency is important to me, and the projects keep me busy.

Is this the most efficient use of my money? Depends, my goal is to be able to fade off into the wilderness for weeks or months at a time with little or no direct contact with 'Civilization'. So anything that gets me to this goal is a good deal.

Scale your systems to your desires, you want freedom? It will cost ya... but if you are a road warrior and are stopping at RV Parks every night I would pass on a large solar investment.

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels