Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #15

This is Magnum calculator for my panels and they're pt100 amp solar controller. Hope it's legible.Click image for larger version

Name:	20191002_154616.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	262209
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #16

Looks like a system that will serve you well. As for panels putting out more than the STS rating, not something you see on any sort of normal basis, in fact, California for credits towards taxes etc. don't even allow the STS rating and instead have their own PTC rating which is generally about 10 percent less. Other system losses, flat mounting, dirt on panels etc. and for many months of the year you won't even get within 15 to 20 percent of STS rating.

That said, once in a while you do get fast transitory spikes with certain cloud formations that climb quite high if your controller doesn't go into a limit mode. Those peaks only last a few seconds though, and are only worth thinking about when ensuring your solar controller can handle the peaks.

As for your data sheet, looks pretty realistic. They didn't list the anticipated charge voltage for bulk, but with the Lithium batteries you're using the 13.6 volts it appears they based the calcs on, I think you'll rarely be leaving power unused.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We are using Grape Solar 180w from HomeDepot.

But you can easily calculate your panels max using the specs that come with your panel.

These are the specs that come with your panel.

If you calculate their max Power Current 9.31a by their max volts 24.3 that is their max theoretical watts on a perfect day that they could ever produce.

So in you case of these Rich Solar panels.

Amps times volts equals watts:
9.86a * 24.3v = 239.59w
Each panel has the potential to up to 239.59 watts.

Multiple that by the number of panels, and you've got the potential for 2395w.
We then take that and divide by your systems nominal voltage and we get:
2395/12v = 199.665 amps

So, on a perfect day, with cloud edge effect, on cool panels you have the potential to leave almost 100amps of unused charge capacity on the roof.

It's still something to think about in your environment because once again your spending $ on panels and potentially not utilizing all of it.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Why are you using Magnum for all of this? I have a Magnum 2000w inverter, Arc-50 remote and ME-BMK. But I installed a Victron charge controller - I might change the BMK to Victron in the future, too. Magnum’s remote leaves a lot to be desired.

The Magnum controller was far more expensive and not Bluetooth compatible with an app. Seems with a system the size of yours you’d be running all Victron equipment for that Bluetooth capability if nothing else.

I’m sure you have a reason you stuck with Magnum even though their products seem to be lagging in more modern features.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #19

Magnums support techs are the greatest. That means a lot with any product you buy!

The 2812 inverter works effortlessly and the BMS works great as well.

The Remote is very simple to use and tells me everything I need to know. It's always attached to the rig and it's reading match my meters exactly. I was able to set it all up in about 10 minutes. Once that is done, you don't need to play with it anymore. Yes, blue tooth is a fun toy to play with, but I don't need it.

Just me, but I feel I have enough toys to play with, without sitting and looking at the phone all the time.

I'm very pleased with Magnums products. No regrets!
Old 10-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting you mention this. We've been running full Victron gear (inverters, controllers, even batteries) and never once needed to contact tech support for anything. We don't use a phone to monitor the system as we've got a single display (CCGX) to show every aspect of the entire system including the individual cells in the batteries. When we were looking at inverters and everybody mentioned the phenomenal support from Magnum. For us this didn't mean anything because any additional perceived 'value' in Magnum support didn't provide any real value to me as we designed and built our own system and know each component and its functionality. If their stuff needs warranty to work, then I really don't need it in my rig. But there are those that need that, including those that buy Battle Born batteries for their 10 year warranty. Again, they too are a bit overpriced, but for us the battery warranty wasn't even part of our purchasing decision. They are either going to work, or I find a different brand, so different strokes for different folks and that's totally fine by me.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #21

My conversation with Vitron and Magnum took place before I purchased anything. Once I made my choice, I never looked back. The system works very well and I rarely look at the remote anymore except to see if I turned the charger or inverter, on or off. I'm not an expert like you, Natebert. It's the first time I've ever done this. But I can now say, it's not very complicated putting a system together. In fact, it was a fun project. Way less difficult than wiring new houses so many years ago. I think anyone could do it if they do their homework. The hardest part for this 66yr old man was climbing up and down the ladder while putting the panels on the roof. I have bad knees from snow skiing all my life. They were speaking out loud to me, "don't do that anymore!"
Old 10-04-2019, 09:04 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
As far as never needing support, if you own your RV long enough you will at some point require support.
My comparison has been from Xantrex to Magnum, and Magnum has been outstanding. Magnum has both parts and support here in the US and most of Xantrex production is now offshore. Glenn at Magnum has called me personally to help set up a complex AGS system. One of the Magnum founders actually designed the old Ridge Creek AGS that came in our 2004 coach. He was very helpful updating my system.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #23

One day I will get motivated enough to find the run sense wire for the AGS. The solar has worked so well that I'm thinking the AGS is not a priority. I'm enjoying taken a break from doing this and that.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #24

I am in the Victron camp too. Was reading some old parallel vs series posts, and decided to go on the roof and cover some of my series wired panels to see how much production was really affected. Nice to look at my phone and see actual real time voltage and amperage coming from my panels while I was up there and doing a shading test.
Easy to run wiring on some coaches and trailers from bays to interior, but a PIA on mine, so appreciate the bluetooth display and lack of wires. Did get a bad solar controller one time, and they sent me a new one and I sent the faulty one back in the same box as the replacement, at no cost, no questions asked. Standup company.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #25

Victron joining advanced battery charging community.

Years ago Midnight Solar added no guess end absorb to there charge controllers. Measuring amps into the battery bank regardless of loads via shunt leapt them to the for front. Magnum added this ability a bit ago with their PT100 and BMK via inverter. I've learned victron is joining this advanced community with VE.Smart Networking. In beta right now they are testing Smartsolar MPPT charge controllers reading "tail current" from a BMV-712 battery monitor with shunt. Hooray!

This can provide the ultimate geek mode. Get up just before the sun and get that cup of coffee. Go outside with my tablet and connect to my VE.Smart Network and watch my ground deploy array pointed east light up with those first morning rays. Watch how much harvested energy is actually going to the battery bank and how much the RV is using.

- Jeff
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:35 AM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unyalli View Post
Years ago Midnight Solar added no guess end absorb to there charge controllers. Measuring amps into the battery bank regardless of loads via shunt leapt them to the for front. Magnum added this ability a bit ago with their PT100 and BMK via inverter. I've learned victron is joining this advanced community with VE.Smart Networking. In beta right now they are testing Smartsolar MPPT charge controllers reading "tail current" from a BMV-712 battery monitor with shunt. Hooray!

This can provide the ultimate geek mode. Get up just before the sun and get that cup of coffee. Go outside with my tablet and connect to my VE.Smart Network and watch my ground deploy array pointed east light up with those first morning rays. Watch how much harvested energy is actually going to the battery bank and how much the RV is using.

- Jeff

Just a friendly heads up, this has been available for years with the use of their CCGX monitor panel and Ve.Direct cabling.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco Wolfy View Post
One day I will get motivated enough to find the run sense wire for the AGS. The solar has worked so well that I'm thinking the AGS is not a priority. I'm enjoying taken a break from doing this and that.
What do you mean by "find" the sense wire for the AGS? I too will be using the Magnum system parts for my future solar setup including the AGS along with the ME-ARC and Hybrid inverter/charger.

It was my understanding that the AGS plugs into the inverter/charger and you then run the sense wire into the coach as a temp sensor to trigger the AGS on temp mode. While I am at it can you have a pre-wire of some sort on a new build for the AGS and sense wire?

Thanks in advance

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #28

It always helps to identify any issues if site users know what type of rig you have. If you click on the "User CP" in the top left of this page, then click on edit signature. You can enter your Rig information so it appears on all your posts. It can help to get the right answers, based on what rig you have.

On my rig, the Magnum AGS is easy to wire up, except for one wire. The run sense wire is not a pre wire or near the inverter on my rig. I replaced a Trace rv2000 modified sin wave with a Magnum 2812, pure sin wave inverter. The old rv2000 had a built in AGS. Magnum inverter does not. There is a grey wire that is at the generator and extends to the two start/stop switches located at the dash or in the cabinet above the bed. It's call the "run sense wire" One of the Magnum AGS wires needs to connect to that wire in order to operate. Depending on what rig you have, it can be a little challenging to run a wire for that. The temperature sense wire is not the same thing. It senses the temp in the coach, so the generator will start up on your preset temperature setting in the remote. Another great Magnum feature. I hope that helps.

Tags
inverter, solar