Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Newbie with solar setup questions on new rig...

Have been a boater all my life and this will be my first RV. After some 16 months of trying to learn about RVs, I finally made a decision and will be ordering a 2018 Newmar 3401 in a few weeks.

I may have the opportunity to get some specials upfront as part of the build which may make an after purchase solar system more efficient, easier and with less waste-drama. I am hoping to get some suggestions on possible specials that I could order and/or what not to get?

I admit I think I know a little about a little but I hope you remember when... This is what I am thinking this so far for a solar system setup:

1. 750w ish panels on the roof.

2. Four (4) 12v batteries comes STD with unit. (note special; getting Std 8cu RV ref not Res). Will be replacing 12v batteries with four (4) AGM lifeline GPL-6CT to start with. (Thinking about Battle Born or other lithium later and would like to have that option in my set-up system).

3. Will have a 30amp system. Presume for this post there will be a front 15000BTU A/C and a second separately wired and independent 13.5 BTU A/C with its own 30amp plug in. 4000 gen set. (I know the gen set will only run the one 15000 A/C unit).

4. Would like the inverter/charger to run basically everything 120....such as a std micro, not convection; 2tvs, all the 120v receptacles and the 13.5 A/C (with soft start). Will have std 6 gal hot water heater (G/E) but not interested in this running off of inverter, only gen or shore power.

5. I like the idea of a hybrid inverter/charger because it is my understanding that through a BMS if there is enough in the Batt (plus solar) that is great but if not it will automatically start the gen to make up the difference which will also charge the batts during the gen process. (Am not too high tech so am not concerned with the wireless, rather run the extra wires for the monitor).

6. The four (4) batteries are on the driver’s side compartment on a slide out tray which is NOT enclosed. There is an enclosed compartment to the right of it which perhaps the inverter/charger, solar controller and combiner box etc, can go? To the left of it is the propane tank.

7. I can get STD what Newmar calls a solar “pre-wire” from the roof to the battery bank or perhaps I can get it to go to the compartment to the right of it. I believe they run a 6g wire but not sure where on the roof it is run from. I am hoping to get them to run conduit 2’ instead without any wiring so I can get better gauge wire if needed which I think would be better?

8. I would also like the automatic gen start to start the gen when the rig gets to a certain temp so it can turn on the 13.5 A/C or when the batteries reach a certain level of discharge. Have two (2) Golden Retrievers who will be with me.

Well there you have it as best as I can presently describe it. What do you think? Any comments or suggestions or system components would really be appreciated. I included a Youtube video link to the rig model above if that helps at all. Trying to get pictures of the roof to see how many panels can be put up there and where but no luck so far. Am hoping to be able to put them all on one side so they can be tilted.

Thanks for your help and suggestions....

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #2

You will absolutely HATE a 30A system. Opt for a full 50A system. Especially with two AC unuts. As for the rest of your post? Too much to take in all at once.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Will be replacing 12v batteries with four (4) AGM lifeline GPL-6CT to start with.

waste of $$ use up the reg 12v if maintained will last a long time

750 W is a good starting point

I would get the res fridge hands down
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, solar