RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Old school waste disposal

Just read this on the Truck Camper forum at IR.net

"...My 1972 camper came with a brochure for a 'waste disposal system' where the black and grey water is sprayed onto the hot section of exhaust pipe, and it all "Evaporates" into thin air! While it might work to evaporate 10 gallons on a 100 mile drive, it is not really practical, and probably dribbled enough water to make it not work at all. Anyway those systems are not for sale anymore - for some reason!"

Kind of like the old railroad cars that just "dumped" onto the right-of-way

Do not try this at home or on the road.

Reed and Elaine

Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Internet search for Thetford ThermaSan.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/black...tor-85851.html

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #3

Steve

Thanks for the backup information. Knew it had to have made the rounds before.

Reed and Elaine
Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's a couple of links to Thetford's Thermasan system. They even had one to 'burn' trailer black/grey tank waste in exhaust of the tow vehicle. It used a hose to send waste to the tow vehicle's exhaust pipe.

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Thermasan-flyer.pdf

http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Thermasan-Flyer-2.pdf

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Also helps to cut down on tailgating!!
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #6

There are probably a lot of regulations that forbid this device these days. The referenced web sites that Bob posted (#4) is an amusing read.

Reed and Elaine
Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What years was that option available?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:55 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
What years was that option available?
I know it was an option on GMC RVs, they were made between 1973-78, but I don't know if it was an option all 5 years. U.S. emissions started to tighten up in the mid '70s. 1975 was unleaded gas and catalytic converters, so I'd guess the sewer burner had to go about then.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #9

The nice thing about having 100ac is that I can go 'old school' any time it's needed....drive into pasture, exit MH, walk around to the left rear and pull the black tank handle....wait a min or two, close said handle, re-enter MH and drive away
Old 01-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
The nice thing about having 100ac is that I can go 'old school' any time it's needed....drive into pasture, exit MH, walk around to the left rear and pull the black tank handle....wait a min or two, close said handle, re-enter MH and drive away
I would HOPE you are kidding.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #11

In some places in Europe they use human excrement for fertilizer. Go figure. Not my cup of tea but it has been going on forever, and what did all those folks who have outdoor plumbing do. Of course they put lime down, covered the hole and moved the outhouse to a new location. And they survived - again Go Figure.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:14 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I know all about outhouses, (even dug a few), historic and current human waste disposal, and the diseases that can be spread by depositing 'night soil' without proper processing. In the 'old days' there were billions fewer humans on the planet. What used to be marginally acceptable isn't anymore. For an RV owner to pull in to a field and dump their black tank is VERY irresponsible, illegal, and should be prosecuted.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-12-2015, 06:08 AM   #13

Not illegal in this state. Matter of fact I can have my home septic tank pumped and dumped on my own property. "Legally" My septic system filters through the ground around my leach field. My neighbors "Large farm" spread their animal waste throughout their fields. What's the difference? It's his field. He should be able to do what he wants there as long as he's not hurting any one else.
capt.caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I know all about outhouses, (even dug a few), historic and current human waste disposal, and the diseases that can be spread by depositing 'night soil' without proper processing. In the 'old days' there were billions fewer humans on the planet. What used to be marginally acceptable isn't anymore. For an RV owner to pull in to a field and dump their black tank is VERY irresponsible, illegal, and should be prosecuted.
Bflinn, I disagree.

Ok, so along those lines, when I am backpacking and a go #1 & 2 in the woods, Black helicopters should appear and arrest me? We are talking urine and poop here mixed with a little toilet paper. Contrary to what the EPA had led the masses to believe it's not Haz-Mat material, it's organic and it decomposes just like the leaves that fall on the ground every season.

Did you know that you "could"(no I don't want to try it) drink the water coming off a properly functioning septic tank and it is harmless? We fertilize with many different species of feces worldwide, so I' pretty sure my pasture is going to benefit for the occasional "spreading".

I am not advocating that it's ok to dump in a public place, but on my land, away from any water source, I really think it's my business(pun intended)