Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Payback guesstiment anyone?

Any math genius ever tried to figure out how many saved gallons of generator gas it would take to pay off each $1,000 spent on solar panels on a mh? With gas prices up and generators so noisy, I am seriously considering solar now even if I have to borrow the money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 5.5 generator burns about 1 gallon per hour. If my math is correct, and gas at $4, I can run the generator about 250 hours for about $1000.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

So if you move to solar are you really going to shed the gen? Think about where you normally park and is there sufficient daylight to charge the batteries.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
My 5.5 generator burns about 1 gallon per hour. If my math is correct, and gas at $4, I can run the generator about 250 hours for about $1000.
So how many months of solar use will it take to replace 300 generator hours? Mine is a 4kw gen so I adjusted your number. I plan to full-time soon so if I could save 3 hours of gen time per day using solar, it will only take 200 days to pay off a $2000 solar system?

I'm a newbie so I have NO idea how many hours a day my gen will run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
So if you move to solar are you really going to shed the gen? Think about where you normally park and is there sufficient daylight to charge the batteries.
Oh no, just wanna save $ and noise.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have to have battery capacity to store the solar energy so that adds to the cost. I don't dry camp often but when I do, I run the generator about 4 hours a day. I have a 130 watt solar panel, 300 amp hours of battery, and a 2000 watt inverter. The combination of generator use and solar works for my use, but may not work for you.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It looks like adding solar may not be a diy project for me. I'm in the Oklahoma City area until early May and then headed to Rockport, TX for a week. After that I am planning to go east to Florida. Are there any competent rv solar dealers down south? Houston area, maybe? I'd like to get solar asap. Gas prices are just too unpredictable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #8

Using solar instead of a generator makes you a premium neighbor.
With a good solar system a generator is only needed for A/C.
See my post under boondocking "Solar That Really Works."
Learn how a proper solar system should be installed and settle for NO LESS. No there are very few solar experts.
Get a battery meter to see what is going on with the batteries. It measures power in and power out and power left in the batteries. Every RV should have one.

I do not know about the cost of a generator and gas but if you compare the cast of boondocking over CG's solar pays for itself in one year.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Wow, a gal an hour? Must be gasoline. My Onan 7.5 diesel is 0.21 gal/hr no load, 0.40/gal/hr 1/2 load and 0.70/hr full load. Even with both A/C's running (which I metered at 12 amp each) Im only at 3000 watts, or about 50% of my genset capacity.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Wow, a gal an hour? Must be gasoline. My Onan 7.5 diesel is 0.21 gal/hr no load, 0.40/gal/hr 1/2 load and 0.70/hr full load. Even with both A/C's running (which I metered at 12 amp each) Im only at 3000 watts, or about 50% of my genset capacity.
That's what I get for not proofreading better. I meant 1/4 gallon per hour or 1 gallon for 4 hours.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #11

Quote:
That's what I get for not proofreading better. I meant 1/4 gallon per hour or 1 gallon for 4 hours.
You had me scratching my head and counting on my fingers, It just didn't add up to me. I have a couple of 10k gensets I use when the power goes out at the store that don't use a gallon an hour.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky
It looks like adding solar may not be a diy project for me. I'm in the Oklahoma City area until early May and then headed to Rockport, TX for a week. After that I am planning to go east to Florida. Are there any competent rv solar dealers down south? Houston area, maybe? I'd like to get solar asap. Gas prices are just too unpredictable.
Sunelectric in Miami Florida has great prices on solar equipment. I'll be there this week getting some.

I trust myself for all installs and can't offer assistance on an installer down here but look for a post or blog by wheelingit. They had someone in south Florida install their system "properly".
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #13

Read ralphers advice closely. It may save you expensive headaches in the future, plus_ you know what to look for and expect if you contract a company installation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
battery meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
Using solar instead of a generator makes you a premium neighbor.
With a good solar system a generator is only needed for A/C.
See my post under boondocking "Solar That Really Works."
Learn how a proper solar system should be installed and settle for NO LESS. No there are very few solar experts.
Get a battery meter to see what is going on with the batteries. It measures power in and power out and power left in the batteries. Every RV should have one.

I do not know about the cost of a generator and gas but if you compare the cast of boondocking over CG's solar pays for itself in one year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Which battery meters do you like?

What (and where) should I look for in a good one?

Thanks!
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote