Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #15

I haven't had any issues using the Victron with single 12 Volt (18 - 23 Volt actual) modules. If I recall, they need about a five difference to start, but once they're up there only needs to be about a one Volt difference to keep going.

My recommendation is based on their versatility and remote monitoring, control, and ease of firmware update. Also, they can be programmed to only deliver set maximum values of current, which is really handy when charging small sealed lead acid batteries.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryn View Post
Thanks for starting this thread focused on portable panels for RVs.

I would like to suggest the use of a DC breaker in the circuit between the panels and the charge controller.

The actual available power from these panels is not all that high, but the step of connecting and disconnecting them can potentially cause quite an arc and make the connection unreliable over time. (maybe after just a connection or two)

If a breaker is present, then it can be turned on / off as appropriate for this connection / disconnection step and reduce the likelihood of potential issues at the connection point. DC breakers are designed to routinely deal with making and breaking this DC arc without damage.

Any of the DC breakers intended for PV service will work just fine and they are only $20. Example midnight solar, blue sea, etc (All are re-selling the DC breakers by Carling, so no need to pay a premium for a particular brand)
Hi Harry,

So I would cut the cable to add the breaker to it?

Why would Renogy not have added on to the system?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #17

The breaker is not "required", but it can help to minimize damage to the MC4 (or other) connectors in the longer term. If the connections are made or broken with sun on the module there can be damage to the connectors from the arcing of the current in the circuit. Usually this doesn't cause an immediate failure, but over time you can end up with a poor connection.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphenatem View Post
The breaker is not "required", but it can help to minimize damage to the MC4 (or other) connectors in the longer term. If the connections are made or broken with sun on the module there can be damage to the connectors from the arcing of the current in the circuit. Usually this doesn't cause an immediate failure, but over time you can end up with a poor connection.
Thanks,

I must re read what Renogys procedure is.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #19

Here are a couple of photos of the adapters and system that I made up for charging the various batteries around my garage. In the photo with the solar modules the cord connector on the left is the female connector. The male connector is the one attached to the charge controller. Since the 20W modules are connected in series and the controller is MPPT I can charge both 12 and 24V batteries with ease. The 2nd photo shows the controller connected to my 24V lawn mower. I used SAE connectors with 14AWG as they were available in bulk via eBay and required no special crimper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4175.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	173870Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4176.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	173871
Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #20

Called Renogy, they said a fuse was not really needed for 200w of solar but it is good practice. They recommended a 15amp inline mc4 fuse, which I purchased from them.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:22 PM   #21

yeah even my 400watt renogy "complete" kit (rooftop) didn't come with any(!) fuses. I was amazed...and promptly ordered seperately and installed them.

Are the portable "suitcase" style panels worth it for when they are folded up? EG, do they provide good protection etc? I'd love to go that route, but hate the idea of them bashing around in the basement with the grill and firepit...
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
yeah even my 400watt renogy "complete" kit (rooftop) didn't come with any(!) fuses. I was amazed...and promptly ordered seperately and installed them.

Are the portable "suitcase" style panels worth it for when they are folded up? EG, do they provide good protection etc? I'd love to go that route, but hate the idea of them bashing around in the basement with the grill and firepit...
The cases are very durable and the panels fold up nicely, each one is 2 50w panels.

I store mine in the very front storage in my f53 class A, they sit on top of the driveshaft hump. It's the same bay I have my charge controller in.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #23

Wink Make?

I'm considering a suitcase style solar setup. Several makes: gopower, ferrion, renogy, zamp, etc. Anyone have any experience they'd like to share? I'm leaning towards the Gopower 120 setup. Comes with all the typical RV adapters for OEM plug hookup. Ferrion in my case. I currently have a 3 bank RV marine deep cycle battery setup. Already have a inverter in place from factory to run Samsung residential frig. Thanks.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #24

Wondering if anyone has bought the 100 watt portable system that Harbor Freight has.?
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-wa...kit-63585.html

Has good reviews on their site. It's on sale with their coupon for $149.99 through 9/30/17. I'm looking to buy it for my son for Christmas. He has a older 5th wheel with two 12v deep cycle batteries. He's out boondocking now at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. He keeps saying how he has to fire up the generator to recharge his batteries.
He also comes out with us every year in January out to Quartzsite.
He has no solar on his rig now.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
Wondering if anyone has bought the 100 watt portable system that Harbor Freight has.?

Has good reviews on their site. It's on sale with their coupon for $149.99 through 9/30/17. I'm looking to buy it for my son for Christmas. He has a older 5th wheel with two 12v deep cycle batteries. He's out boondocking now at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. He keeps saying how he has to fire up the generator to recharge his batteries.
It might be worth trying.
Do report back.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post

Those amorphous panels put only half the wattage per square foot when compared to crystalline or polycrystalline silicon. Yes, it's a cheap package, but...
Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphenatem View Post
Those amorphous panels put only half the wattage per square foot when compared to crystalline or polycrystalline silicon. Yes, it's a cheap package, but...
I had to Google what an amorphous panel is.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
I had to Google what an amorphous panel is.

The Amorphous panels are also heavier too and if you look it up they are not a good performer in cloudy conditions. I believe the Monocrystalline is better choice all around typically.

Tags
solar