Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
I happen to be from Flint. Definitely more trees in meechigan than here in ok. But it gets really hot here and the AC works better if you're shaded. I love my solar. ....especially when driving and when is not hot out
I hang out in Davison half the summer and second your remarks.

Advantage poirtable as noted above (the Evil/Nice Sun blocking tree)

Advantage Roof Easier to set up.

I'd go portable for now if I was doing it.

What I plan to do if I get a knock on the door from the Prize Patrol

Bulid a house. likely 3 stories plus basement East West And south exposures all solar panels Tell local power company to "Go climb a pole".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #44

I gave this as a Christmas gift to my son. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQST-100W-1...oAAOSwjc5Z4GqV
It's well built and puts out as advertised. He's going to go out this weekend to Joshua Tree NP. That will give it a good shake down.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #45

100w panel, oriented at 90 degrees to the sun will put out about 5amps. You have to move the panels all day to keep them oriented. Now deduct for the wiring losses.

Whattay mean the wife and kids want to go for a hike? I gotta stay here and move the panels and to keep them (the panels) from walking off.

Paying close attention to the panels you may get up to 25 amps/day this time of year (optimistic, but you said Joshua Tree). Its a 5 amp trickle charger, that's it. Overcast, etc. you take what you can get.

On my 7kw house array, right now I'm getting about 30% of what I get in June. Portable panels, take too much attention, prone to theft. Outta sight, outta mind on top of the MH, I'll take what I can get from my rooftop solar.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
100w panel, oriented at 90 degrees to the sun will put out about 5amps. You have to move the panels all day to keep them oriented. Now deduct for the wiring losses.

Whattay mean the wife and kids want to go for a hike? I gotta stay here and move the panels and to keep them (the panels) from walking off.

Paying close attention to the panels you may get up to 25 amps/day this time of year (optimistic, but you said Joshua Tree). Its a 5 amp trickle charger, that's it. Overcast, etc. you take what you can get.

On my 7kw house array, right now I'm getting about 30% of what I get in June. Portable panels, take too much attention, prone to theft. Outta sight, outta mind on top of the MH, I'll take what I can get from my rooftop solar.
Yea he & I know it puts out only 5 amps but you have to start somewhere. He also bought a 175 watt panel to mount on the roof. Not going to get that mounted before this weekend. Like I said you have to start somewhere.
Not all of us can afford to dump thousands of $$ on solar.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #47

Good to see the thread I started still going :-)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #48

I think we just found something new. As my son has a controller for the 175 watt panel on the roof. When he connects the portable panels the roof controller shuts down. It's seeing the input from the portable smaller 100 w. panel.
So should we take the controller out of the portable panel and still connect to the batteries.
Leave the controller out and connect to the roof controller? The roof panel controller is 30 amps so no problem with the load.
He wants to run both panels at the same time.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #49

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A simple solution is to install an AB battery switch. two battery posts and one common post. You could switch between controllers as desired. Getting multiple controllers to play nicely in the sand box can be hard. Especially when their set points are different voltages. One controller is going to see the output of the other and think the batteries are charged and go back to sleep. You can use multiple controllers effectively when they are matched. LoL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:22 AM   #50

You can leave both controllers in service. If one is shutting down the other, that means there is no call for both to work ( battery charged ).

The controllers work by sensing voltage of the battery. Both controller do need to be connected at, or near the batteries.

Tell your son to run the batteries down or turn on a high amp item to draw down the voltage. Then both controllers will start working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #51

The controller for the roof panel is with in a foot of the batteries. The controller for the portable panels like all portable panels I've seen is mounted on the panel.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK46 View Post
The controller for the roof panel is with in a foot of the batteries. The controller for the portable panels like all portable panels I've seen is mounted on the panel.
Not in all cases.

The Controller for my Renogy portable has a separate charge controller.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Not in all cases.

The Controller for my Renogy portable has a separate charge controller.
I think you mistook what I'm saying. My 100 watt portable system also has it's own controller. It's mounted on the rear of one of the two 50 watt panels.
All the portable panels that I have seen for sale have been set-up that way.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #54

Quote:
I think you mistook what I'm saying. My 100 watt portable system also has it's own controller. It's mounted on the rear of one of the two 50 watt panels.
All the portable panels that I have seen for sale have been set-up that way.
I know what your saying.

My Renogy portable one has the charge controller mounted in the coach and I connect the panel to it.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #55

I guess that what I'm saying is the portable foldable solar kits I have seen have the controller mounted to the panel. That way they can be moved to any vehicle or batteries that need to be charged.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #56

Quote:
I guess that what I'm saying is the portable foldable solar kits I have seen have the controller mounted to the panel. That way they can be moved to any vehicle or batteries that need to be charged.
Gotcha.

For mine I need to move the controller to move the panels another rv.

The advantages are I can leave my panels out in the rain, have a long cable run to the panels (mine is 20ft), and it's easier to connect to the charge controller than battery.

Tags
solar