Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 10:44 PM   #1

Relocate Battery - Slide out power

Will be adding LiFeP04 and relocating batteries from trailer tongue to front storage. Noticed some odd wiring.

1. Slide out wiring is independent of cabin cut off switch in front storage. They went out of their way to do it, using extra 10AWG.
Why would they do this?

2. Break Away switch wire is not fused or breaker. Just connected directly to battery wire. Sounds like a recipe for a fire, but most of the run is on the metal frame.
Is this normal?

Front storage is not all metal and the LifeP04 have a high current kick. So I need a fuse or self resetting breaker for break away switch.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #2

Cause slideouts have high amp draw so they are wired directly from battery with an in-line fuse (Or DC CB)
Tongue Jack, electric stabilizers/jacks are typically wired directly also
Can be operated even with disconnect switch off

By Federal Law a Trailer battery must provide FULL Voltage to trailer brakes for 15 minutes should trailer become disconnected from tow vehicle
Trailer battery Only supplies DC to trailers brakes WHEN Break Away PIN is pulled out of the switch

Several engineers designed the system and have been used by ALL trailer MFGs for decades....seems to work
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

#1 6awg from battery, CB, cutoff switch, on up to converter fuse box, would be stout enough to handle 10awg slide out wiring and it's 20 amp auto reset CB. It doesn't make much sense to spend the extra money and effort, so I'm thinking the government is involved. Is there an RIVA standard or code for slide out wiring?

#2 Yes, it works and is normal. It is also a fire hazard without fuse or CB. Don't want flame in my storage compartment.

Searched the web and found stories of the wires getting pinched while installing a load leveling hitch. Wires got red hot, smoking, and destroying nearby wires. Batteries were on the tongue and damage was limited to non-flammable tongue area.

On my old A-frame the breakaway switch and roof lift motor were on the same 30A fuse. I would notice a blown fuse right away.
This time around I might use a 30A auto reset CB for Break away Switch and tongue jack. A CB that self resets can eventually drain the battery. Think I might add a 12v alarm or light across the CB terminals.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:48 PM   #4

Guess you didn't really want any reasons
So engineer on
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 01:05 PM   #5

I can easily engineer something.

Prefer to be within wiring codes and standards.
What are they?

Tags
battery, cat, power, slide, slide out