Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2022, 12:06 PM   #1

Renogy Wanderer replacement

I have had a Renogy Wanderer Li 30A controller on my two 100 watt solar panels for the past 2 years with everything working fine. Last time out camping I noticed the indicator lights were indicating a overcharged battery. Turned the panels off for a couple days and when I turned the controller back on everything seemed to be working fine so I left it on for the past two weeks and now the battery is shot and the controller was showing overcharge again. Just bought another new battery and the controller seems to be working but I am thinking it will probably overcharge the new battery so I disconnected it and plan to buy another controller. Should I get another Renogy Wanderer of try something else?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2022, 12:51 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Have you actually looked at the voltage the controller is putting out?
Old 05-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Have you actually looked at the voltage the controller is putting out?
Went to trailer this morning turned controller back on. All the lights are solid green but I get no voltage from the where the panels are connected or from the battery output. This makes no sense to me but I think I will just spring for a new controller and see what happens....
Old 05-07-2022, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B RAD View Post
Went to trailer this morning turned controller back on. All the lights are solid green but I get no voltage from the where the panels are connected or from the battery output. This makes no sense to me but I think I will just spring for a new controller and see what happens....
You are doing what I accuse many, probably most mechanics of doing: changing parts until something fixes it.

Get to the bottom of the voltage readings and really diagnose your problem. The controller should switch to a float voltage of something in the mid 13s when the batteries are full. It sounds like the controller is stuck in bulk or absorption mode which probably puts the voltage in the 14s when they are full. That is what ruins batteries, overcharging.

But reading zero voltage is totally wrong. I would first suspect the meter.

David
DavidEM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 07:39 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
If you read the manual there has to be 12v input from the battery for it to work. When installing controller or changing out the battery. The battery has to be connected first then the solar panels. So disconnect the panels.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #6

OP here and still trying to figure out what is going on.
Voltage at controller battery terminals is 12.20 and green batt light is on solid.
Voltage at PV terminals is 11.9 and green light is solid.
Battery voltage at battery is 12.4
What is happening and shouldn’t the green light be flashing not solid?

Now the strange part. Today I covered the Panel with cardboard and a blanket and it still produced 6.5 volts with panel disconnected from system and when connected the green PV light was still on and not blinking. Green light does go out when panel is disconnected.
Old 05-15-2022, 09:31 AM   #7

Victron Energy , 5 year warranty if I recall. I would consider the Victron line to be the gold standard of the industry . The VRM web page is nice for long term tracking of your projects installation success .

Not sure how you turn it off but with some solar controler if the battery is turned off before the roof PV and if the PV is turned on before the battery BAD things happen. Always PV off first and on LAST. My victrons chargers have a control wire that I have a switch on to turn off the roof , With lithium battery's I will only turn off at the end of the season and on again in the spring.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement