Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Residential Fridge dedicated inverter, or not?

We're shifting over to the Samsung 18' residential fridge.

I have a 800AH bank of X's 4 L16's Lifelines. We have 1200W of 48V high efficiency Solar Panels. I also had a Magnum MS2812 PSW inverter/charger installed.

I typically have no problems with power while off grid, using the generator only for longer times of the Convection oven. Days we don't use the Convection, we are fully supported by the SP and existing battery bank. Soc dips to 85-88% overnight, on nights that we run the HydroHot for heat.

I turn the Inverter off, old habit, when not needed. Daytime and nighttime.

My question is opinions on just leaving the existing Magnum MS2812 on 7/24. Or continue my current on when needed, off when not. But then getting a smaller PSW inverter dedicated to the Samsung. Figure the smaller inverter would draw less during idle times. But I suspect the savings to be relatively minor in the overall scheme of things, especially overnight while sleeping. (During the day, we are usually always very positive on the power side of the Solar Panel output.)

However another advantage of having a second smaller PSW inverter, is that I'd have it wired so that I could easily change the fridge from one inverter to the other, by just moving the plug to a different outlet. That way I'd have some redundancy for at least the fridge. (But then again, how often to MS2812's fail... and, I could always fire up the generator from time to time to keep the fridge cool until repaired.

I'm leaning towards just using the MS2812 and see how things go for awhile. Can always add a second PSW later if for some reason I feel I have a problem.

Why the post? Lots of you have much more experience with inverters, and changing over to residential fridges - so wondering if I've missed something and should just do a second dedicated PSW and be done with it?

Opinions please!!

TIA,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:24 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Leave it on your Magnum. Unless you need additional inverting power there is little reason to add another inverter. I run mine on a Xantrex 2000 W MSW inverter with no problems.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Leave it on the Magnum. I run my Samsung on the ME 3000 hybrid with no problems. Battery bank is 2 8D Lifelines. You can even shut the system down overnight and only loose 5 degrees in the refer and maybe 5 degrees in the freezer
Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A smaller inverter would typically before efficient, so dedicated would be better. I am a fan of multiple point of use inverters, leaving the large inverter off until needed for microwave or other high draw item. However, with the way you have outfitted your coach I would use it as is. Monitor to see how it goes. Then if needed, add a dedicated inverter.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

Had along talk with a neighbor fellow RV'er, who is also a retired electrician. He felt that a second inverter, even for redundancy, was not warranted.

Confirmed that my 'at idle' savings of going to a smaller inverter, was not worth worrying about, due to the size of our battery bank. He also said that once you get a year under your belts with a new inverter (MS2812 in this case) - the chances are it's good for the long haul.

So, saving some coin now and will go with the single MS2812 for a period of time. Always come back and add a dedicated or redundant unit later...

Appreciate your guys input!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, fridge, inverter