Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Roof to basement wire run

It seems as though most will drill a hole in the roof and find a wire chase somewhere. Why not drop it down the vent pipe? I have a gray water vent stack that runs from the area I want to install the solar converter to the roof. Is there a drawback to this and avoid more holes in the roof? Something I am missing?

Thanks,
Ed
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Putting a wire in the vent from the top is one thing, but you've got to make a hole to get the wire back out of the vent in the 'basement.' Not a safe, or normal way to do such a thing. Most use the refrigerator roof vent to access a large open space running top to bottom. You could also choose a hole in the roof above a closet or other space running to the floor that wouldn't be too noticeable to run wires.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Need to know voltage/wattage/amperage from panels to controller. The higher the voltage, the smaller the amperage and smaller wiring can be used. We have hit 1360 W to controller but voltage from panels is 90 V so our amperage is about 15 amps. Our battery suite is 48 V nominal so amperage from battery is 28 V. If the voltage from panels were 12 V, this would be 108 amps and would require much thicker wire and bigger controller. We use a TriStar MPPT-45. If we were at 12 V, we would have to use two MPPT-60s.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #4

2 100w on roof, 6ga cable 13 ft to trimetric 2030 controller, 2ft to 2trojan t105, 4ga? I have read most of the posts here, and handybob. I do have the chase the vent pipe runs down, just didn't seem right making more holes in the roof than necessary. I do see your point about having a hole in the vent pipe though!
Thanks,
Ed
Old 05-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Not a big problem with running wire(s) through the vent pipe. Drill a hole large enough for the wire as far above the tank as you can within reason. Feed the wires UP thru the drilled hole and to the J-box or panels . When wiring is completed and connected, tape the wire to the pipe for tension relief then seal up the pipe hole with non-leveling Dicor.
Old 05-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #6
Community Moderator

my setup is the same as bob (BFlinn181) suggested. fridge vent is a good path for the wires to go through. 2 cents.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Gray vent is not a bad place to run wires, just make sure that where it exits the vent pipe you get a tight seal around the wire to avoid odors in the coach, AND there can also be vapors in the vent that are (over time) are corrosive to bare metal. Electrical or rescue tape over any exposed connections.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Previous rig had large solar panel. The wires ran thru the refrigerator vent
Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the input. I'll have to think on it some more I guess. I have a rear fridge and front batts so that's out. In fact it is factory pre-wired for solar that way. 42feet of 10ga wire! Is dicor the best option to seal the pipe?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Non-leveling Dicor or liquid electric tape never really harden, if you might ever need to rearrange things. Household Goop will make a much more permanent fill.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:17 AM   #11

I ran mine besides the vent pipe at the vent cap.
There was room for the extra wires. Also larger vent caps are also available.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

I had a vent pipe with two 90 degree bends that made just pushing cable through almost impossible. I used my smallest hole saw to make a 1 1/16 inch hole and saved the cut out. Then I finally got my fish tape past the 90 turns and out the vent on the roof. Marked the positive end with red tape and pulled it through from the basement and then to the controller. Once everything was in place, I used a utility knife to notch the saved circle for the cable to run though, put a loop of thread through the pilot hole and notch to keep it from going down the vent, lined the edges with Dicor and pushed it in place to seal the hole. I just left the thread there.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
2 100w on roof, 6ga cable 13 ft to trimetric 2030 controller, 2ft to 2trojan t105, 4ga? I have read most of the posts here, and handybob. I do have the chase the vent pipe runs down, just didn't seem right making more holes in the roof than necessary. I do see your point about having a hole in the vent pipe though!
Thanks,
Ed
This is a good set up as you know since you have been doing your research. Grey water vent is fine but perhaps you can just run the wires down next to it and not drill into it. Your other post about the 45 feet of number 10 wire is not a good set up at all.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The vent pipe runs all the the way last time I checked..... At least on a Class A with enclosed tanks it does.. May, however, bend.

Tags
roof