Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
.........we're projecting only 20-25A per hour with just one of the head units of the mini-split running in the future, which is a real game changer, stay tuned!
You are the engineer! Two-head units are generally less efficient than the single-head units UNLESS you run just one head. Still not as efficient as a single-head unit, but close. I have four mini-splits on my house, two single-head, a two-head, and a three-head. The multi-head units are loafing when only one head is in use. A two head with the usual 4:1 turndown ratio and two same-sized indoor heads can operate at half load to quarter load depending on the demand on the one running head. Very efficient.

And no duct losses!!! Yes, some refrigerant line losses, but those are small compared to RV duct losses.

Question though, you have a diesel pusher so that rules out the outdoor unit at the rear, right. So you will put it on the front? My son has a diesel pusher and is looking at this issue. His auxiliary generator is on a slide-out on the front, so this complicates things for him.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hclarkx View Post
You are the engineer! Two-head units are generally less efficient than the single-head units UNLESS you run just one head. Still not as efficient as a single-head unit, but close. I have four mini-splits on my house, two single-head, a two-head, and a three-head. The multi-head units are loafing when only one head is in use. A two head with the usual 4:1 turndown ratio and two same-sized indoor heads can operate at half load to quarter load depending on the demand on the one running head. Very efficient.

And no duct losses!!! Yes, some refrigerant line losses, but those are small compared to RV duct losses.

Question though, you have a diesel pusher so that rules out the outdoor unit at the rear, right. So you will put it on the front? My son has a diesel pusher and is looking at this issue. His auxiliary generator is on a slide-out on the front, so this complicates things for him.
So a couple of things.............
1. I will likely not ever run both heads together unless I am plugged into shore power and then it won't be as much of an issue. Running on battery however we will likely not need both heads so the efficiency will make a HUGE difference on batteries

2. Plan is to mount the Outside unit in the Battery Bay............ How can we do that? Well, when we did the Lithium battery upgrade we moved the batteries inside the coach, to the foot of the bed actually so this leaves the battery compartment wide open The plan is to mount the outdoor unit in there and modify the door to allow the exhaust fan to vent to the outside..... we will mimic the design of the side radiator, only shorter as the door is only about 36" wide.

This will allow us to easily route the lines through the basement to both the front and rear of the coach

Hopefully it will be very Cool......in more ways than one
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
So a couple of things.............
1. I will likely not ever run both heads together unless I am plugged into shore power and then it won't be as much of an issue. Running on battery however we will likely not need both heads so the efficiency will make a HUGE difference on batteries

2. Plan is to mount the Outside unit in the Battery Bay............ How can we do that? Well, when we did the Lithium battery upgrade we moved the batteries inside the coach, to the foot of the bed actually so this leaves the battery compartment wide open The plan is to mount the outdoor unit in there and modify the door to allow the exhaust fan to vent to the outside..... we will mimic the design of the side radiator, only shorter as the door is only about 36" wide.

This will allow us to easily route the lines through the basement to both the front and rear of the coach

Hopefully it will be very Cool......in more ways than one
Neat. So you have room in the battery bay for the outdoor unit to be upright and facing out?

I'll have to have my son check his storage areas for some place tall enough to accommodate the outdoor unit. He has four Mitsubishi 6K single-head units on his house. SEER 33 and they loaf so extremely efficient.

BTW, if you ever have to lay the outdoor unit over on it's face or back or side, it needs to sit upright for 24 hours before use. Time for oil to flow back to the reservoir.

My neighbor owns the central CA distributorship for six or eight mini split brands. He was helpful when I did my house. But, unfortunately he said then he could not sell directly to me. I should have gone with ecomfort.com like my son did, but a local HVAC contractor that specializes in mini splits gave me a fair deal on the four I needed. ecomfort.com only does tier one makers, so not cheap (though much cheaper than though an installer). Lots of tier two on Amazon. Home Depot too I think.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #18

I am using the Pioneer+++ units. Highseer.com. My 120v wall unit be in sevice 3 years now. The 240v cassette unit for 2 years now. Trouble fee.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries