Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your LiFePo4 Lithium battery system?
I have a DIY built LiFePo4 battery bank and am happy with it. 25 17.73%
I have a Drop In Commercial LiFePo4 battery bank and am happy with it. 65 46.10%
I have a DIY built LiFePo4 battery bank and regret it. 1 0.71%
a Drop In Commercial LiFePo4 battery bank and regret it. 1 0.71%
I don't own a LiFePo4 battery but feel I must click on something. 49 34.75%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #15

Couldn’t be happier with our modest sized LiFePo4. Perfect choice for us.
Gave us multiple days of boondocking without generator
Charges up extremely fast compared to our old FLA
Gobbles all the solar amperage we can produce
By mounting in pass-thru, Took weight off the tongue
Works well in freezing weather, and charges In cold, because we mounted inside
No worries about anything, including deep discharging
The BMS protects the battery from me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 05:21 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Self installed or company installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I have 1050 Ah of Lion Energy Batteries wired in series/parallel in a 24V system. We also installed 1600W of Solar panels and dual 24-12/15 DC-DC converter/Chargers and dual Victron 3000W inverter/chargers.

I couldn't be happier with the Lion batteries, we've had them installed for a little over 2 years and we've never had any issues.

We rewired everything in the coach to run (including both AC units) whether we are plugged in or not.

This system has completely transformed the way we camp and we couldn't be happier.
I like the sound of your set up did you do a self install or pay someone? And do you have list of the products used for the install?
The batteries look super clean my back ground is in aviation and I like clean installs 😃
TravelingDodsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:56 PM   #17

Can we get some regretful people to vote please? I don't want to cough up lithium-level money next season to be one of the happy people!
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingDodsons View Post
I like the sound of your set up did you do a self install or pay someone? And do you have list of the products used for the install?
The batteries look super clean my back ground is in aviation and I like clean installs ��
Thank you got the compliment. I too have an aviation background (private owner/maintenance) so I'm a little anal about trying to do it right.....and that was certainly a learning process.

I embarked on the learning process about 5 years ago with a voracious appetite to learn all I could and try to stay on top of the technology available and changes taking place.

Like most aviation types I really wanted to have as much information as possible about my system.

We elected to go with a complete Victron (sans batteries) solution with real-time tracking across the entire system.
Victron Stuff:
Cerbo with GX Display
(2) Victron 24/3000-70 Inverters
(2) Victron Orion 12-24/15 DC-DC SmartChargers
(2) Victron Orion 24-12/70 Converters
(2) Victron Lynx Power Distribution modules
Victron 712 BMV (Battery Monitor)
Victron 100A Autotransformer (Allows 120V Generator to provide Split-Phase charging power so both inverters can charge at max amps)
Victron 150/100 MPPT
(8) High Tech 200W solar panels
(10) Lion Energy UT1300 batteries wired Series/parallel @24V
Various wiring including all 4/0 cabling between inverters/distribution panels and battery bank.......4GA cabling from MPPT to Lynx

We also completely rewired the electrical panels so that all circuits are hot via inverters, which allows one or both rooftop AC units to run off-grid (Solar and battery limited of course).

I did almost all of the installation myself but had help with the final configuration/programming of the dual inverters in split-phase but now feel very comfortable with this process.

If I was doing this today I'd look seriously at DIY batteries, an option that was not very robust when we did this installation.

I am now consulting with a local RV repair vendor with multiple locations (2 AZ and Colorado Springs) to help them design and install solar systems properly and we've established a relationship with a Victron Master-distributor for supply and even more advanced support as necessary.

If anyone has any specific questions or needs help please feel free to send me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	365740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523 (2).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	365741  

Name:	IMG_0556(1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	365742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263(1).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	365743  

2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:09 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahively View Post
Can we get some regretful people to vote please? I don't want to cough up lithium-level money next season to be one of the happy people!
I've been on this and many FB forums for a number of years and I have seen very few folks that have made the jump to lithium that have regretted it. in most cases, the regret seems to stem from either poor installation or poor choice of equipment!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
This is a simple poll, it is primarily for those with Lithium batteries, I want to know if you regret buying them? I ask because when the topic of Lithium batteries comes up there are always those that say they are not worth it, ... these people also tend to be people that don't own them.
I have Battleborn 100Ah and am very happy with the product. But I do have one "regret":
I had mentioned to my brother that I was going to replace my LA with Battleborn 100Ah heated. He ordered for me, which I'm happy about - except he purchased the non-heated model.
I don't dare say anything, and I'm very grateful for his generosity, but now I'm going to have to cobble together some kind of heating pad.
Old 05-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #21

My solution to having unheated batteries was to move the battery bank into the climate controlled cabin area, specifically a hard to get to cabinet in the kitchen.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:43 PM   #22

I have seven 100 amp-hour BattleBorn batteries between my sit and sleep sofa and wall between the front storage area and the cabin. The space was completely unused. I put a lid of polycarbonate twin wall so nothing can fall into the battery storage area.

Keeping them inside keeps them above freezing with our somewhat mild Reno winters. I monitor the batteries, inverter/charger area and under the trailer temperature using the Cerbo GX. The batteries have near gotten close to the cold weather protect temperature even with no furnace running during storage mode all winter. My system stays active when the trailer is stored at home. It acts as a 8200 watt*hour UPS for several house circuits connected to a manual transfer switch. These circuits are powered by the Multiplus 3000VA transfer switch and are feed with solar power when the batteries are above 73% and then from house power flowing to the transfer switch when the relay closes when the batteries go below 70%.

I have 2040 watts of solar feeding the batteries when the trailer is parked at the house.
The Cerbo GX is great for long term monitoring of all the Victron Energy equipment.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:49 PM   #23

Quote:
You might want to relocate the battery away from the tongue, LiFePo4 batteries prefer
the same temperature ranges that humans do, and steel boxes can get VERY hot.
Quote:
My solution to having unheated batteries was to move the battery bank into the
climate controlled cabin area, specifically a hard to get to cabinet in the kitchen.
I'd been considering that, and after further
consideration, I think it's exactly what I'll do.
Our TT has a sofa which converts into a bed
by sort of a "hide-a-bed"-like mechanism.
The only thing under it is the
furnace, and the rest is dead space.
Seems like it might be an ideal spot.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #24

No regrets. Just joy. The best part has been not having to lug out the 75 ft 50A cord when I get my camper out of storage and bring it home to load it. I have to park on the street and in the summer, I had to connect to shore power to get the a/c's running. Now I just turn one a/c on at storage and by the time I am home (20 minutes) the camper is cool. It's just so nice to have the same capability with or without shore power or a genset.

But we do need to load manage. Can't run the a/c and the microwave. We can live with that.

I've posted these everywhere a few times, but why not one more time?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DC wiring 290RL rev 1 cubby.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	365902   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC wiring 290RL rev 1 outside.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	365903  

Name:	DC wiring 290RL rev 1 panels.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	365904   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC wiring 290RL rev 1 tanks.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	365905  

corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 02:47 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
What is DIY?

Is DIY built 12V system from 3V cells, or would it include building a 800AH system out of 200AH cells, moving all the batteries, and reworking the fuses, switches, and distribution?

Quote:
This is a simple poll, it is primarily for those with Lithium batteries, I want to know if you regret buying them? I ask because when the topic of Lithium batteries comes up there are always those that say they are not worth it, ... these people also tend to be people that don't own them.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:51 PM   #26

My intention with the question was to distinguish between batteries built from cells, BMS, etc vs commercial "drop in" batteries, not how extensive the installation was with moving battery locations, adding DC-DC chargers, etc. I did this to potentially distinguish between people that were happy/unhappy with either commercial "drop in" batteries or batteries home built from cells.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 03:25 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
400ah of DIY LifePo4 and 800watts of solar. Rarely ever need to plug into shore power unless we want AC or Microwave. Even when plugged in to shore power I have only twice turned on the charger/converter.

We love the flexibility of camp options and the freedom to enjoy the outdoors.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:37 PM   #28

We ordered our Tiffin Wayfarer from the factory with 2 dragonfly/Battle Born batteries and 2 rooftop solar panels. Best decision for us. No hassle with battery levels, no hassles with making sure we don’t run them down too low so they don’t get damaged, they are half the weight of AMG or Lead Acid, and for the extra money it’s worth having one less thing to be concerned about and deal with. We’re retired (early 50s) so we don’t go cheap, life’s too short with more years behind us than ahead of us.
Rob918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, lifepo4, lithium