Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2022, 09:16 AM   #1

Smart Shunt or Meter??

Hi,
I'm looking at adding a battery monitor to my trailer. I do have a small solar setup that uses a Victron charge controller and I'm happy with that. My question is would just a smart shunt like the Victron SmartShunt be good enough or should I go with the Victron BMV-712 Bluetooth monitor.

Does the display of the monitor justify the price difference? If there's something else you'd recommend, I'd like to hear.

Thank you in advance,

Shimmy
Shimmy830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 09:52 AM   #2

I use a Victron Smartshunt that connects directly to the batteries. It is Bluetooth enabled. The best part about it is that it uses an app on your phone to monitor your battery use. So, you don't need to run wiring for display or any of that kind of stuff.

The Smartshunt tells me how many amps I'm drawing, volts, state-of-charge, and how many hours or days of battery life I have remaining.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200922_183841816.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	376370
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #3

I have the BMV-712. The display is buried in the battery box, as the Bluetooth app is far more convenient. I use the Bluetooth for my inverter and solar controller also.

Some folks say the Bluetooth range of the BMV-712 is better than the range of the SmartShunt. I have never used the SmartShunt so cannot say if this is true or, if it is true, just how much difference there is.

If I was to buy one again Iíd probably get the Victron SmartShunt. I think it hit the market just after I bought my BMV-712. I donít know how much after - maybe a day? 30 seconds? 😉
Old 09-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #4

I haver the BMV-712 because the SmartShunt wasn't a product yet. I recommend the SmartShunt because you don't need to run a cable between the small display and the shunt. Bluetooth app works great from anywhere in the trailer.

Later I installed the Cerbo GX which has cables to the BMV-712, Multplus Inverter/Charger and 4 MPPT solar controllers. The Cerbo GX lets me monitor everything from the touch screen panel or anywhere with Internet access. The long term (2 years+) data monitoring is great using the VRM portal.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #5

I have the Smart Shunt because I felt there was no added value in having a monitor screen. However, the smart shunt has very limited range compared to the BMV-712. I can connect from anywhere in my camper, and only sometimes from my truck cab. If you have a motorized rv, it’s probably better to get the BMV-712.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #6

Capability wise they are the same. In fact if you get the temp sensor for the smartshunt its the same one the 712 uses. Convenience, 712 has hassle of mounting display. Either way make sure you introduce your solar controller to the monitor so you can use tail current to end absorb among other things.
unyalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #7

I have had both victron smart shunt and the 712. By far the 712 is better. The smart shunt you will not be able to connect to it more then 6~8 feet away. The 712 has a much better interface and you don't need a phone all the time to check on your battery. I liked the 712 for more forward capabilities for system integration. Smart shunt dosent work well if it has to go through a wall to connect to it , basically you need to be standing over it.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #8

I also have the 712 and use both the display and the phone app. Iíve been very happy with it. I placed the display near the front of the camper so I can connect to it while towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D45AA827-1D77-4104-A1F3-B673263AFDCB.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	376948  
ShockSLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #9

I have a BMV712 and various other Victron chargers and inverter. A few observations.

The Bluetooth on the BMV712 is much stronger then my other Victron Bluetooth devices located in the bay. This is a huge advantage over the smart shunt which many people have Bluetooth range issues with.

The display is nice. Mostly so my wife can easily check it.

The BMV712 has a relay in the display. Most people probably don't use it, but I have mine hooked up to my AGS (onan EC30) this allows me to start generator based on state of charge or voltage.

When I got my BMV712 the smart shunt wasn't available, but as you can see I'm glad I have it.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:49 PM   #10

I have the relay on my BMV connected to the batter heat on the BattleBorns , Programable relay is nice feature that I can set to 35* to turn on the heat and not use battery heater above that temp. it uses the temp probe bolted on the battery terminals for the on/off temp .
Old 10-02-2022, 02:01 PM   #11

I am happy with the Smart Shunt. Don't check on it much when things are going good. Nice that it sends voltage and current data to Victron Smart Solar controller.
I like the history data on the smart solar. History data is likely only reason to upgrade to Cerbo GX. Would that require the BMV712 too?
Yea, Smart Shunt and Smart Solar blue tooth is weak.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappion View Post
I am happy with the Smart Shunt. Don't check on it much when things are going good. Nice that it sends voltage and current data to Victron Smart Solar controller.
I like the history data on the smart solar. History data is likely only reason to upgrade to Cerbo GX. Would that require the BMV712 too?
Yea, Smart Shunt and Smart Solar blue tooth is weak.
Do you need to provide a cable between the SmartShunt and the Smart Solar controller or do they just 'talk' between them?

Thanks.
Shimmy830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy830 View Post
Do you need to provide a cable between the SmartShunt and the Smart Solar controller or do they just 'talk' between them?

Thanks.
You set up a wireless network. The instructions are clear and the process is simple, at least for Victron equipment.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy830 View Post

Thanks.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...working-en.pdf
zoso1971 is offline   Reply With Quote