Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #1

Solar & Onboard Generator

We will soon be full time in a 40’ Montana 5er and I’m thinking I’d like to have about 1000 watts of solar to routinely run the house and an Onan propane 5500 onboard to run both the ACs when needed. We don’t like temps above 75 or so and intend to move with the weather, but there will inevitably be days when that doesn’t work.

So question - what thoughts do you have about that idea? Is that possible? Or what might be a better strategy? Thanks!!
RickSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We dry camp often with 1500w of solar panels and six 6v wet batteries. And RR.

Typically don't need a generator run to charge batteries unless in the winter when the sun is low and some furnace is needed through the night. In this case will run the generator and hour or so as needed before quiet hours to top up the batteries to last the night.

Air conditioning of course requires generator support. As does extended operation of the microwave or convection oven.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 AM   #3

We have an Onan propane and a 600 watt cheap gasoline generator as a backup

When we do not have to run furnace, it takes about an hour a day to charge the batteries.

Also driving a 100 miles will charge the batteries.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSr View Post
We will soon be full time in a 40’ Montana 5er and I’m thinking I’d like to have about 1000 watts of solar to routinely run the house and an Onan propane 5500 onboard to run both the ACs when needed. We don’t like temps above 75 or so and intend to move with the weather, but there will inevitably be days when that doesn’t work.

So question - what thoughts do you have about that idea? Is that possible? Or what might be a better strategy? Thanks!!
As you saw my answer over on the other media Rick solar and propane generator is very doable.

Depending on your usage numbers 1000watts maybe a little light. For the average fulltimer without special needs like cpap it's a good start.

With the right layout, efficient components, proper use one will know quick as well and have a path for expansion visualized.
Bigbro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

You can certainly think of the power system as two different power systems (generator for a/c and solar for everything else) but that is potentially not optimal.

We install combination setups using solar + battery packs + generator "systems" that run the whole shebang. In other words, solar power contributes toward the air conditioning power demand as well, and the generator can contribute to the house loads if ever required.

For general planning purposes, each air conditioner will consume approx. 1 kW continuous average power, and of course there will be peaks but they can be averaged out.

If you plan to run 2 a/c units, that is nominal 2 kW average power generation required over time on a hot day, but peaks can easily overwhelm a 5 kW generator - for example if they start simultaneously.

The key is to use a 48 volt battery pack, the "right" inverters and some other items to make the integration work.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:

I think a 1000 watts of solar is great. But you don't mention your battery bank. Lots of solar won't be great if you don't have decent bank. You can see in our signature what we have for solar and battery bank. Were not full time (YET) but even with our 400 watts of solar and 4 6v GCB'S we're very happy. It has freed us up so much better for boon docking. We use a lot of amps, 2 TV's, pathway satellite, 2 wally receivers, surround sound, C-pap machine and other things. We rarely need to run the Genny. I would love to see how much better 1000 watts of solar would be.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

I think your on target - I would add at least a 6 Batteries to shopping list to take advantage of all the solar. 8 if you can do it.

We typically run the generator 2-3 hours a day with our 600watts of solar and my full time job (computers/monitors/etc on all day).

The on-board generator in my mind is pretty important if your full timing - Makes staying at Truck stops, towing in the heat, and life etc MUCH EASIER.

We've also been moving around the trailer here in Arizona during the day, and since we can't run the AC while towing (no onboard generator) when we arrive the coach is well into the 90's and all the chocolate is melted heh.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

How many batteries...of what capacity...and type?

How big of an Inverter?

What are your electrical demands? Type of fridge, microwave, coffee maker, water heater, furnace, lights, LED or Incandescent? TV use?

It’s hard to say if you have enough, too little, or too much...due too little information.

If you still use propane for Dometic cycle fridge, and water heating...I am just wild guessing...but 1000w sounds good. Probably suitable for up to 500aH bank of batteries.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #9

Thanks Vince and Susan!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #10

Thanks Kit and Rita. Question about your Onan, is the noise level acceptable? Does it ever bother you or your neighbors? Oh - and does it produce power ‘clean’ enough to run your electronics? Or maybe the electronics run off the batteries and the genny just charges the batteries?? Can you tell I’m a newbie? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #11

Thanks BigBro24 - I suspected it would work but still new enough to not be sure of myself. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #12

Harryn - you are describing what I think I had in mind, a single integrated system where the power sources work together to supply the needs of the house. Although I’m as yet quite uninformed, that sounds ideal. I’ll have to learn more about why you recommend 48v. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Every rig has a different energy budget. Depends on your life style and batteries, solar and generator.

We have a 32ft 5th, 1050 watts solar flat panels, 4 6volt GC batteries, 460 AHrs, 3500 watt (peak) geny. We use propane for the frig and water heater and have a propane heater and furnace to heat with. We do not have an inverter. If we use the microwave, we fire up the geny for a few minutes (remote start). We seldom watch TV so that's not a factor really. We have 12 volt chargers for all of our computers, phones etc. This setup works well for us.

The propane frig makes hard ice and keeps my ice cream hard.

Your needs will be different and the right solution will be different.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #14

Weredoingit - I have been thinking we’d want (5) 100 amp lithium batteries, assuming 80% discharge (I forget what the proper terminology is for that). That would give us 400 amp hours of storage, I think. I know that’s pretty expensive but my initial research leads me to believe it’s equal to or cheaper than the more traditional batteries over the long haul. (I’m pretty sure I’m in way over my head when it comes to understanding all this! Ha!)

Tags
generator, solar