RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solar install

I mounted 3 195 watt Kyocera panels, these put out about Voc 68.1, 6.8 amps ea.

I was concerned about the combined output with a 30amp Kid controller.

Spoke to their engineers, said the Kid has a built in over protect, said that with the oversized array I will get a bigger window of solar gain (number of hours per day).
At times mid day I see the lits blinking overcharge, but for instance it's 7:20 AM now I'm getting 20-25 watts of charge, peak I saw so far was about 420 W.

Since the Kid is the latest & greatest controller by Mid Nite it really works great, using 4 x 6V trojan T-105's.

Mounted the panels with standard L brackets, using the white roof sealant, drove 2400 miles they are still there
connected all with #10 wire, into two combiner strips one + one -, the positive has a circuit breaker before the Kid,

I also added a battery temp sensor.

I have a Kisae 2000 watt inverter no charger or built in transfer switch $320.
A seperate 20amp transfer switch ($60) from the main distribution panel to new sub panel. I left the 2 AC's & electric HW in the main panels for use only when plugged in or genny.

I rand a new wire for the 55amp converter charger off the existed transfer switch so it's only working on shore genny.

The solar charges the batteries way better than that charger.

The Kid was set to 15.5 volts equalize charge, this is a great feature to keep the battery bank in full even charge, it's not automatic you do it when you thin you should maybe once a month.

Lastly, I added a Magnum AGS.

So I think I can go off grid for a while.

ball park cost panels charge controller misc about $1,000.

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Subscribed.
Going to do something soon, probably less complex system though. Will be interested to hear how it goes. 600W is quite a bit of power! I was thinking of about half that to start. I have just two of the GC batts, seems to be enough for what we do with the coach. Also recently installed an IOTA converter...should'a done that a LONG time ago.

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I switched off the converter 6 days ago, not needed
Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #4

Best to have sufficient controller and wiring so that you can go with more panels if you so choose.

We noted that the batteries charge a lot better with solar than with gen set on our original system.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I agree they do charge better.

well we are now into out 6th full day off the grid, solar is doing it all.

came close yesterday with lots of cloud cover, soc hit 11.9, then the sun came out out.
the inverter will shut off if soc hits 11.7

tomorrow its forecast for severe clear, so all is good, trying to go 2 weeks as test.

i
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #6

now all you need is a tie grid inverter like i have and when you are at the SB seal power back and help cut the cost of the home power bill

giving its on some thing the moves it cuts alot of the red tape the power Co like to make us go through
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry735001 View Post
now all you need is a tie grid inverter like i have and when you are at the SB seal power back and help cut the cost of the home power bill

giving its on some thing the moves it cuts alot of the red tape the power Co like to make us go through
Nice! We did this with our RV system while in our old house in NC.

Funny story, we recently moved North and installed a PV system in our S&B. The power company said that if they had left the meter that was installed (a newer one with digital readout) they would charge us for power we produced as well as power we consume. Talk about rip-off!

Fortunately our system in NC generated less than the base load of the house so we weren't paying double there!

jimbo2013, the kid is a great controller, designed by one of the pioneers in the PV industry, Robin Gudgel, who also happened to design the Trace SW inverter I use in my coach (and I noticed terry735001 uses one too). They're 15+ years old and still going strong!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #8

Jimbo - good going. We are a year off grid except for one day during floods in Colorado last August or so. Do have a 1 kW Honda which we had best run someday to make sure it is working. Don't even tie up in trailer parks. I does give one a sense of satisfaction to be autonomous (OK, we still use propane for cooking and heating).
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
Funny story, we recently moved North and installed a PV system in our S&B. The power company said that if they had left the meter that was installed (a newer one with digital readout) they would charge us for power we produced as well as power we consume. Talk about rip-off!

Fortunately our system in NC generated less than the base load of the house so we weren't paying double there!
Wow, never heard of that. Your state needs some new legislators! Here in CT, I get paid wholesale for every KW I put out over and above my own use on the S&B. And with a 5KW system, it does add up. I have what is called a "net meter" (also digital readout), keeps track of what goes in and what goes out.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
So I think I can go off grid for a while.
Nice job Jimbo! If you like your setup half as much as I like mine you will be a very happy camper!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

We do run the fridge with solar during the day. Just tried the water heater. Wow, about 2 kW. Do not think I shall do that regularly.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
May want the water heater on propane
Old 07-26-2014, 07:35 PM   #13

Have always used propane but was curious as to how much power it took to do it off battery/solar. Was running the refrigerator on AC at the time (battery/solar) so it may have been less than 2 kW for the water heater. Only turn on the water heater as needed.
Reed and Elaine
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Cundiff View Post
Have always used propane but was curious as to how much power it took to do it off battery/solar. Was running the refrigerator on AC at the time (battery/solar) so it may have been less than 2 kW for the water heater. Only turn on the water heater as needed.
Reed and Elaine

i do this all the time on my RV solar

not 100% but here is what its run

my newer refrigerator is 3 amp on AC

so if your running it on a 12vdc inverter 3 ac amps x 3 = 9 DC amps
so if it ran all day x 24hr and it would not but just saying 9x24=216 amp hrs ... most have a battery bank that big... solar panels needed would be
216 / 5 hrs in a day giving where you live is 43.2 amps every hr coming in

so if you had like 5 sharp 120 watt 8 amp panels you could do it

its not 100% again but if your running 12vdc system then just x by 3 of what every your AC load would be

i am running a bigger 24v inverter so for me its all most one to one

terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, solar