Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #1

Solar installation recommendation

I am retiring in 52 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes, and 53, 52, 51....sorry, getting a little anxious. We are in the process of selling our home and heading out on the road full-time. Before we do so, I want to install a solar system so that we are not as dependent on camp ground hook-ups. I am very much a DIY guy, but I draw the line at climbing up on the roof. So, I'm looking for recommendations on who to have install the system. We have a 2019 Newmar DS4369 that is currently located in the Portland, OR area. Obviously an outfit in the Pacific NW would be most convenient, but since we'll be full-time and on the move somewhere, I'm willing to travel to find the right person/shop. Any recommendations based on your good experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

One of the best independent RV service shops in Oregon is Carrier RV Service in Eugene. They have done repairs and upgrades for us the last seven years. The Carriers and their staff are knowledgeable and a pleasure to do business with.

RV Service - Carrier RV Service Center - Eugene, Oregon
Old 05-13-2021, 06:25 AM   #3

Give AM Solar a call they are in Springfield,OR. I purchased several items from them for my solar install. They also have a lot of how to videos on YouTube.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepoland5 View Post
I am retiring in 52 days, 3 hours, 55 minutes, and 53, 52, 51....sorry, getting a little anxious. We are in the process of selling our home and heading out on the road full-time. Before we do so, I want to install a solar system so that we are not as dependent on camp ground hook-ups. I am very much a DIY guy, but I draw the line at climbing up on the roof. So, I'm looking for recommendations on who to have install the system. We have a 2019 Newmar DS4369 that is currently located in the Portland, OR area. Obviously an outfit in the Pacific NW would be most convenient, but since we'll be full-time and on the move somewhere, I'm willing to travel to find the right person/shop. Any recommendations based on your good experiences will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Arizona Wind and Solar in Flagstaff has an outstanding reputation. I am a DIYer and doing my own but word on the street is they're very good. Talk to them and see what you think.
The_Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:06 AM   #5

Thanks, all, for the recommendations!
Old 05-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #6

I am a little squirrelly with heights, but got past it to install my own system. The money you save is enormous, and would pay for some nice lithium batteries. I am not questioning your choice, just giving some hope that the roof is something that gets more comfortable quickly.
treeoflib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflib View Post
I am a little squirrelly with heights, but got past it to install my own system. The money you save is enormous, and would pay for some nice lithium batteries. I am not questioning your choice, just giving some hope that the roof is something that gets more comfortable quickly.
It's not the height that bother me. It's more the effort it would take to get me and my extra 50 pounds up there that is the concern. There are days when gravity is not my friend.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got quotes from several places. The two most competitive were Wellspring Components in Indiana and Discount Solar in Quartzite, Az. Bottom line for an off-grid Victron system I could find was around $16K, the batteries being the heavy hitters for cost. Estimates for the same system were as high as $31k. YMMV, especially if you can DIY.

You have lots of roof space, I assume. I'll suggest you'll want 2Kw or more for panels (residential type is ok), 5-6000w inverter(s) and 800Ah worth of LiFePo4 batteries for an off grid system. I had Wellspring put mine on and would do it again. The system we have provides all the power we'll ever need.

The good part of having a system like this is that you make your own electricity. You can boondock easily as campground spots get harder to come by.

Feel free to PM me if you want.
Jack
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #9

If you can wait until January, you might want to have it done at Quartzsite, They usuall have great deals there at the show. I would contact Discount Solar in Quartzsite and see what they can do for you. JACJETLAG had very good advise and his system spec's should work well for you.
Bruceea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
If you are in the PNW then I would recommend you either look in Coburg OR or alternately call Continuous Resources in Price Utah and talk to Matt. Not only are they one of the largest suppliers of Victron, Magnum, and all other major components but they will also do Installs, and they do a VERY professional job.

Give Matt a call at 1-435-267-2295 - Tell him Paul Bruce sent you!

www.continuousresources.com
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:37 PM   #11

Once again, thanks for the continued input and direction. It's very helpful and greatly appreciated!

Tags
install, installation, solar