RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solar Installer Va Beach area

I have a 2005 Newmar Dutchstar motorhome in need of some electrical upgrades. Iíve been collecting the various parts this past year.

My goal is to get a few solar panels on the roof so when my RV is in storage at the least theyíll keep my batteries charged. Thereís a possibility of maybe doing a bit of boondocking in the future.

The parts I have on hand are as follows:

Magna Sine Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger (2000watts)
Trimetric TM-2030 battery monitor
MorningStar MPPT solar controller 45amp
Magnum Energy Automatic Generator Start

My near term future purchases are:

Three 160 watt Solar panels.
Four Lifeline GPL-4CT Deep Cycle Marine Battery (6V)

Iíve been wanting to try the install myself by following how others have done on their rigs. The undisputed master is a guy called HandyBob his website has been the source of my purchases. HandyBob's Blog ¬ę Making off grid RV electrical systems work. However, time is never on my side and the storage facility forbids such work on site.

Does anyone know of a reputable solar installer who is within a reasonable distance of Virginia Beach.

Thanks so much.

Mitch

Mitchone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchone View Post
I have a 2005 Newmar Dutchstar motorhome in need of some electrical upgrades. I’ve been collecting the various parts this past year.

My goal is to get a few solar panels on the roof so when my RV is in storage at the least they’ll keep my batteries charged. There’s a possibility of maybe doing a bit of boondocking in the future.

The parts I have on hand are as follows:

Magna Sine Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger (2000watts)
Trimetric TM-2030 battery monitor
MorningStar MPPT solar controller 45amp
Magnum Energy Automatic Generator Start

My near term future purchases are:

Three 160 watt Solar panels.
Four Lifeline GPL-4CT Deep Cycle Marine Battery (6V)

I’ve been wanting to try the install myself by following how others have done on their rigs. The undisputed master is a guy called HandyBob his website has been the source of my purchases. HandyBob's Blog ¬ę Making off grid RV electrical systems work. However, time is never on my side and the storage facility forbids such work on site.

Does anyone know of a reputable solar installer who is within a reasonable distance of Virginia Beach.

Thanks so much.

Mitch

This guy also has alot of good information, without the attitude.

RV Electrical

Sorry I can't help you with an installer in the VA beach area. Come on down here to Louisiana I will give you a hand.

06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the offer. If I was a full timer I'd definitely take you up on the offer. Louisiana is a tad out of my range for the weekend journeys I partake in.

Appreciate the link, no such thing as too much good information.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I follow another site too. Here is some more good information and pictures of other RV owners solar installations.

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Forum Members Solar Installations With Pics
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
This is absolutely amazing.

Thanks so much.

Tags
install, solar