Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 04:38 AM   #1

TM2030 went postal?

I have had the new system up and running for almost two weeks. Rv has only been in and out of its shed while I work on other stuff while getting ready for a beach run.

The TM monitor is to the left of the steps, so I always glance at it to see my voltage which is usually around 13.5. So I'm in and out "dodeedeedum"..."hmmmhmmm".............."aruuuughh h???"...16.2????

I pulled the step cover off the battery and could hear them 'cooking'. I know that 16.2 is what voltage is used to equalize then, but it is my understanding that they don't equalize automatically, I have to tell the TM to do that.

I went through the settings again and they all looked correct(after disconnecting the batterys). Since then I am showing normal voltage, so what happened?
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 04:59 AM   #2

Motor7-

The TM-2030 is just a meter- it reports, but does not control charging. In the case of equalization, it provides just a "reminder" for you to manually equalize the batteries.

I'd look into the settings for the battery charging system.

For instance, the manual for the PD9260 converter on our coach says it applies a 14.4V "equalization" charge on the batteries for 15 minutes every 21 hours. Note: NOT 16.2V.

It's great you have a TM-2030, or how would you have known your batteries are seeing such a high voltage? Not with the typical "idiot light" system.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:13 AM   #3

You may also need to check your solar controller. It may have a EQ mode that was causing the overcharge.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #4

It's tied to the SC2030 and and was not on or set up.

EQ IS recomended every 3 months or by specific gravity, so why would a coach charge converter do it every 21 hrs.... Would that not be excessive?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
TM2030 went postal?

The tm 2030 is tied to the sc 2030 but not ON correct? Because the tm. 2030 IS a controller if used with the SC2030
. I would contact bogart via phone or email with your concerns and settings .. they have been very responsive with my questions ...
if the sc2030 and solar aren’t connected and on , one of your other chargers is and is in eq mode. even at that over 16 is damaging to many of your circuit boards most eq I’ve set is in the 15 range. In fact with proper charging Equalizing is not needed often according to some. Mine is set to never equalize I need to manually do it.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something is doing the equalizing other than the Trimetric meter...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
It's tied to the SC2030 and and was not on or set up.

EQ IS recomended every 3 months or by specific gravity, so why would a coach charge converter do it every 21 hrs.... Would that not be excessive?
My converter does the 14.? volt " boost " charge every 24 hours or so. Its just to stir up the acid everyday.

Its not a full EQ that can be done every few months at the higher 16.? voltage.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Something is doing the equalizing other than the Trimetric meter...
I don't see how, coach was unplugged and genny off. Only thing on was solar.

16.2v is the default EQ voltage for the trimetric. It can be changed in programming though. There is a lot of capability of this thing to learn understand for sure.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
TM2030 went postal?

The manuals for the trimetric when connected to the sc2030 controller are online at Bogart .. the settings are available when it’s connected to the controller it opens up the additional controller settings.
Turn off the equalizing. I don’t have my manual handy but it’s easy to do when you know what # it is.

I have two sc2030 30amp solar controllers paired and controlled via the TM2030. Its a great system but it does need to be set for your situation.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

That's the confusing part, EQ was off or at least was showing off. I reprogrammed the 2030 again and am now keeping an eye on it.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #11

According to the technical manuals, the battery equalization process with the TM-2030/SC-2030 combination must be started manually. The TM-2030 "P6" setting to "OFF" simply stops the "Days Since Equalized" reminder from coming up on the TM-2030 screen. Even the reminder must be manually reset after each manual equalization, if it is going to reflect the correct number of days since equalization.

Another way to put this is that if you are seeing 16.2V at the batteries, and you didn't start the equalization process as described in the SC-2030 manual, then something else is still broken. EQ is "always off," unless you turn it on- each time.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
According to the technical manuals, the battery equalization process with the TM-2030/SC-2030 combination must be started manually. The TM-2030 "P6" setting to "OFF" simply stops the "Days Since Equalized" reminder from coming up on the TM-2030 screen. Even the reminder must be manually reset after each manual equalization, if it is going to reflect the correct number of days since equalization.

Another way to put this is that if you are seeing 16.2V at the batteries, and you didn't start the equalization process as described in the SC-2030 manual, then something else is still broken. EQ is "always off," unless you turn it on- each time.
That is correct, and I know I did not start the EQ process. I have been at the beach with the coach since Mon, and so far no issues. As suggested, I will call Bogart when I get back home to see what they say, and will update here their response.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #13

Bogart is good when it comes to answering questions. When I’ve contacted them it was Ralf himself that go back to me.

One thing to look at right away is programming a value into P8 which isn’t set unless you do it deliberately. This sets a maximum limit voltage for the system. I set mine to the maximum voltage of my refrigerator controller. Depending on you battery profile you have set, temp compensations etc and what charging profile you’re using the system can do a mini equalization at the end of each charge where it lets voltage climb but clamps current. With the Trojan battery profile and cooler weather this could give me a short period of higher than desired voltages on my system sometimes until I limited it with the P8 max voltage limit option.

Good luck. Fantastic system for maintaining batteries once you sort it out. I’m running dual sc2030s controlling 1000 watts of panels.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #14

Well, on the way home it did it again. Stopped at a rest area(full sun) and shut the engine down to give the mutts a break. When we stepped back in the voltage was all over the place between 15.1 and 16.2. I thought it would be a good time to call Bogart...nope, no phone number on their website at all....email ONLY. So I unplugged my solar panels and drove home. I have to say I am disappointed in Bogart since trouble shooting via email is not going to be very efficient, but I will give it a try tomorrow.