Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

Upgrade Battle Born battery/alternator/bim

need some confirmation I have research for this upgrade and I think I need a li-bim 225 for the alternator to charge my 4ea lifepo4.i am no expert and still kind new to solar and lithium
I do have solar panels and Victron 100/50 charge controller/Victron 3000w inverter/ charger/bmv712/color monitor for the upgrade
my coach is a 08 Fleetwood bounder
I need to know if the new bim need to be installed in the bcc(battery control center) and if this is the wiring diagram that I need to figure out how to wire up this new bim or can I do without the battery isolation manger(bim)

thanks for your help
tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fleetwood-southwind-intellitec-battery-control-center-wiring-diagram-9 (2).jpg
Views:	220
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	264385  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 03:45 AM   #2

To install without tearing up the original system, run battery size cables, as marked with red lines, to the BIM.

Remove, and separately tape up, the small wires in the green circle.

The only other thing needed is the aux start switch wire moved to the BIM.

You don't need the BIM for charging the lithiums with shore or generator power. You need it to protect the chassis battery from overcharging while charging the lithiums or discharging while using them.

While on the road, the BIM protects the alternator from overheating because lithium batteries take all the amps you can send them. Alternators can't handle full output full time.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-22-05-33-02.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	264389
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:53 PM   #3

thanks twinboat for responding and I found the bcc in the first compartment on the passenger side that houses the bcc and my propane tank and I am assume the automatic charging and aux start relay is being replace with the new bim and I assuming this old relay is underneath the circuit board and I need to disconnect the chassis battery ca and the house battery ca and connect to the new bim and ground the new bim not sure if the y on the old relay is the aux start wire switch

hopefully I am on the right track and not confusing myself
here the diagram I found on the cover of the bcc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191022_160531[491].jpg
Views:	151
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	264446   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_160450[490].jpg
Views:	109
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	264447  

Name:	20191022_160435[492].jpg
Views:	91
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	264448  
Old 10-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #4

It looks like your system uses copper links between the relays. Removing the solenoid leaves some connections in the air.

If you disable the automatic relay, ( remove the control wires ) while leaving it in place, you can add cables from any of the points I marked, to your BIM terminals once you find a place to mount it nearby.

The yellow marks go to the chassis batteries and the red marks go to the house ( coach ) batteries.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-10-22-20-07-15.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	264450
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
To install without tearing up the original system, run battery size cables, as marked with red lines, to the BIM.

Remove, and separately tape up, the small wires in the green circle.

The only other thing needed is the aux start switch wire moved to the BIM.

You don't need the BIM for charging the lithiums with shore or generator power. You need it to protect the chassis battery from overcharging while charging the lithiums or discharging while using them.

While on the road, the BIM protects the alternator from overheating because lithium batteries take all the amps you can send them. Alternators can't handle full output full time.Attachment 264389

twinboat I should be getting my new bim and think I know what you are saying about the battery cable to the new bim and the ign on the new bim goes to a on/off switch on the coach and ground goes to a ground on the coach.….but the only thing is the aux start switch is that the switch for the coach to assist when the chassis battery is low to help start the coach?
sorry to sound such newbie cause I am...

thanks again
Old 10-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTRVING View Post
twinboat I should be getting my new bim and think I know what you are saying about the battery cable to the new bim and the ign on the new bim goes to a on/off switch on the coach and ground goes to a ground on the coach.….but the only thing is the aux start switch is that the switch for the coach to assist when the chassis battery is low to help start the coach?
sorry to sound such newbie cause I am...

thanks again
and I am assuming the aux start switch hook up to the sig on the new bim
Old 11-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #7

figured out the wiring on the battery isolation manager(bim)and installed my battle born battery 100AH x 4 wired in parallel for 12v hope fully this will help someone else

ps do your research but this is what I came up with
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled (4).png
Views:	478
Size:	687.1 KB
ID:	266821   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_155512 (2).jpg
Views:	183
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	266822  

Old 10-30-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Yes, this is very helpful to somebody in the future, as I'm about to do the exact same thing. But I have a couple of simple questions to make sure I'm seeing it right.

1. In the diagram in the above post, the red lines... I would leave the battery cables connected to the BCC, and run short cables to the BIM terminals?

2. Suppose I didn't connect the blue wire to the ignition. That should mean that the house batteries would charge the chassis battery when on shore power or solar, but the alternator would not charge the coach batteries when the engine is running. With solar power, I might not need that.

3. I thought we disconnect the control leads to make the solenoid permanently open. I don't understand why the yellow wire leads to the solenoid... it seems I should connect to the wire that was removed from the solenoid, which is controlled by the dash switch. Is that it?

Appreciate if somebody could confirm that I'm seeing this right. And thanks for the above drawings/notes. I was very confused at first, but if my assumptions in 1-2-3 above are correct, this will be pretty easy.

Tags
alternator, battery, upgrade