RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #1

Using existing battery area for Lithium batteries

I am investigating changing from lead acid to Lithium batteries.

I would like to use the existing battery bank area but to support the Lithium batteries I would need to enclose the battery bank area to protect the Lithium batteries from outside elements - mainly to maintain temperature control. I am more concerned w/ low temps than high temps but both need to be considered.

I am curious if anyone has enclosed the RV battery bank to house Lithium batteries? If you could share design details this would be much appreciated.

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 09:38 PM   #2

I don't have a Newmar but have a 2015 Tiffin Red DP. I replaced 4 AGM batteries with 2 lithium batteries that fit perfectly in the slide out tray of the original 4. No additional mods necessary. Replacement done professionally 2years ago.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:07 AM   #3

Some manufacturers have lithium batteries that are less sensitive to cold weather use. Relion for one. I have 2 of their RB100LT units.
https://relionbattery.com/low-temperature-series-line
I swapped my lithiums into the existing battery bay and put some rubber support pads under them to reduce vibration and protect them from road debris, but they're still exposed to the elements, more or less. I did have to modify the battery bay with an angle grinder to get the larger litiums to fit.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #4

Can't charge them below freezing. Can use them though. Most people avoid freezing temps. They do not off gas so can close that area in and provide heat for it. Add a duct off of your furnace. It has extra.Be heated when furnace is in use.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #5

I considered putting them inside the RV behind the drivers seat but in the end I kept my lead set and added the lithium in the inverter bay where the inverter will generate some heat. Also the BMS generates some heat so do not totally seal off the area because too much heat is bad. I also have a thermostat and fan to keep it from getting too hot. A can switch between sets and do not live in a real cold area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200826_182212.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	302290  
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Can't charge them below freezing. Can use them though. Most people avoid freezing temps. They do not off gas so can close that area in and provide heat for it. Add a duct off of your furnace. It has extra.Be heated when furnace is in use.
If you bothered to look at the link, oh yes, you can if they're Relion LT Series batteries.
"The LT Series lithium iron phosphate batteries are cold weather performance batteries that can charge at temperatures down to -20C (-4F). "
They steal/redirect some charging power to keep themselves warm. Other manufacturers have adapted their off the shelf battery wraps and boxes to do the same thing. Relion just built it into the battery itself.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is a link to my system and pictures of the battery bay. I put a piece of sheet metal underneath after sliding in two 1" pieces of foil backed insulation. I used 2.5" of concrete insulation from H.D. on the inside floor, walls and top. After `15,000 miles not even a dent in the bottom foam. Covered inside with 1/4" hard board to protect the foam and it does not conduct. I also put sheet metal and insulation on the front behind the front tire. I sealed around the door like the rest of the bay doors. Hope this helps.

New Solar, Batteries, Inverter
Old 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
If you bothered to look at the link, oh yes, you can if they're Relion LT Series batteries.
"The LT Series lithium iron phosphate batteries are cold weather performance batteries that can charge at temperatures down to -20C (-4F). "
They steal/redirect some charging power to keep themselves warm. Other manufacturers have adapted their off the shelf battery wraps and boxes to do the same thing. Relion just built it into the battery itself.
Wow $1348 for a 100ah battery. I did a DIY set for under $1500 and have 560ah. They (2) take up the size of a Large battery box you buy at the auto parts store.
Tror Fourwinds Class C, 1961 American Eagle 01 Bus
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Wow $1348 for a 100ah battery. I did a DIY set for under $1500 and have 560ah. They (2) take up the size of a Large battery box you buy at the auto parts store.
For sure, they aren't cheap off the shelf. I haven't got the skill sets to build them from scratch, at this point, and to me, they're worth every penny, so it was money well spent. Our off grid requirements only need around 200 Ah over a few days, once in a while, so they were perfect for us. Pricey, but perfect.
Whatever floats your boat?
Old 09-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #10

Ive bought a couple 50ah batteries for my kayak motor from Amped Outdoors, they have 100ahs for $699 that Im looking at for my rig.
https://ampedoutdoors.com/collection...aterproof-case
Old 09-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Lifeblue lithium batteries with integrated heaters.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #12

We're planning to enclose the area under our steps where the current two golf cart batteries are stored. We'll put in two Battle Born GC2 batteries that wont charge once their internal temperature drops to 24F but will discharge down to -4F. Those temperatures are rare where we're at and after this winter we'll be chasing 72F full-time.
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving "Betsy" 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R F53 6.8 V10 20.5K | Samson 245/70R19.5 | CHF | Bilstein HD | Safe-T-Plus | UltraTrac Trac Bar | 5 Star Tune | TST TPMS | Blue Ox Alpha tow bar | RVibrake3 | 2009 Hyundai Accent
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #13

On our previous coach, 04 Allure, I 97.5% sealed off the battery bay. This bay held both the House and the Chassis, but I'd change all of the batteries to Lifeline AGM's, so felt safe having it pretty well closed off.

When the bank of AGM house batteries needed replacing, I'd planned on going with the LifeBlues that are good for low temperature versions too. X's 2 of these:

https://www.lifebluebattery.com/rv-b...mperature.html

At that swap over, I would have added insulation to the battery bay, and exhaust fans too. For extreme heat conditions, say AZ with 110F + temps - I had planned to add two runs of 4" dryer vent hose, with fans. (The battery bay in that coach, was directly below a non slide wall of the bedroom, with a set of dresser drawers above it. Would have run two 12-15" runs of the 4" dryer vent hose. One with a pancake fan blowing down from the bedroom, the other with a pancake fan blowing back up from the battery bay. Both switchable on/off as needed. Cut in a series of 1 1/2" holes in the base of the drawers for access to the rear bedrooms AC system. I admit I do not know how effective that would be. But heck, close off the back bedroom and that rear 15K AC could get the room down to meat locker temps pretty quick. Figured it would certainly help the battery bay, by circulating the air from the battery bay. And chassis 8D Lifeline AGM, and Lithiums, should have kept us relatively safe!).

We sold that coach, and I have not planned out what we'll do with our new one. But I share that concept, in case the Ventana, or other coaches, have a battery bay that is relatively easy to splice into the coach for air circulation...

Heat, and cold - both don't play well with any kind of battery!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
On our previous coach, 04 Allure, I 97.5% sealed off the battery bay. This bay held both the House and the Chassis, but I'd change all of the batteries to Lifeline AGM's, so felt safe having it pretty well closed off.

When the bank of AGM house batteries needed replacing, I'd planned on going with the LifeBlues that are good for low temperature versions too. X's 2 of these:

https://www.lifebluebattery.com/rv-b...mperature.html

At that swap over, I would have added insulation to the battery bay, and exhaust fans too. For extreme heat conditions, say AZ with 110F + temps - I had planned to add two runs of 4" dryer vent hose, with fans. (The battery bay in that coach, was directly below a non slide wall of the bedroom, with a set of dresser drawers above it. Would have run two 12-15" runs of the 4" dryer vent hose. One with a pancake fan blowing down from the bedroom, the other with a pancake fan blowing back up from the battery bay. Both switchable on/off as needed. Cut in a series of 1 1/2" holes in the base of the drawers for access to the rear bedrooms AC system. I admit I do not know how effective that would be. But heck, close off the back bedroom and that rear 15K AC could get the room down to meat locker temps pretty quick. Figured it would certainly help the battery bay, by circulating the air from the battery bay. And chassis 8D Lifeline AGM, and Lithiums, should have kept us relatively safe!).

We sold that coach, and I have not planned out what we'll do with our new one. But I share that concept, in case the Ventana, or other coaches, have a battery bay that is relatively easy to splice into the coach for air circulation...

Heat, and cold - both don't play well with any kind of battery!

Best to all,
Smitty
Nice batteries. Same idea as Relion, borrow some of the charging current to self heat the batteries in cold weather.
At 110F in AZ, I'm not sure how much battery power I'd be using, as I'm pretty sure I'd be plugged in to shore or running the generator to run the A/C, as well.
The spec sheets on those Life Blue low temperature models said they're good for charging between -4F to ~119F with a 140F max, so you'd have a little bit of wiggle room above the 110F example ambient temperature.

Tags
batteries, battery, lithium