RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #1

Victron Battery Protect no longer recommended

I was just curious how many people here have the Victron Battery Protect in their system along with an inverter.

Based on what I've been reading, I'm pulling mine out quickly so as not to burn the rig down.

Victron has now changed their installation manuals to indicate that the BP should not be hooked into a system with an inverter. They apparently knew this all along, but their business used to be primarily through people who know this stuff better than the average solar-power buyer, and who already knew that you shouldn't do this - and so they're starting to make their instructions amateur-proof.

Just wish they had noted this before I bought one.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 05:01 AM   #2

Most inverters have a low voltage shut down built in.

Use it for standard house loads, besides the inverter, in case you leave something on.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:23 AM   #3

What's the issue?
Old 02-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #4

Old 02-14-2020, 09:10 AM   #5

First, Victron amended their manual for the BP - they added the following:

"The short circuit protection of the SBP will be activated if you try to directly connect loads with capacitors on their input (eg inverters). For that use case, please use the SBP to control the remote on/off switch on the inverter, instead of disconnecting the higher power DC line."

(See here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...T-ES-IT-TR.pdf at item 4.)

Victron techies are telling people not to use the BP in any circuit containing an inverter. I'm no EE, but I think they're saying the huge current surge of loading the capacitors fries the mosfets in the BP. It might merely make the BP inert - i.e., providing no protection without telling you - or it might melt and burn.

I had originally wired my BP directly after the shunt, and in line with both my DC loads and my inverter leads. Apparently, you must instead pull the inverter off of the BP line. To me, this limits the effectiveness of the BP, as it will no longer shut down everything in the face of low voltage. You can rely on the inverter's low-v protection, but the BP is out of the equation.

Will Prowse has also gone through his old vids and comments and now recommends NOT using the BP.

There are ways to keep the BP. You can use the remote-switch function of the BP to trigger the inverter off (if your inverter has that switch-off function built in.) I'm looking into that (as I'd rather not simply throw away the BP) but I'm not that far yet.

But it does seem like Victron and Prowse are both saying, fire hazard with a BP and an inverter. So I thought that maybe the better solar-educated minds here might want to explore.

(ETA) I should add that this is in addition to the bi-directional problem dealt with here: https://community.victronenergy.com/...fire-if-y.html - that indicates that your solar charge controller must not be wired such that it passes charging current back through the BP.

And - if people want more reading material - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ba...99/#post-39983

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 PM   #6

I don't have my inverter downstream of my Victron battery protect. My inverter is much too large for that. I have my 12 volt stuff other than the inverter on the battery protect.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
First, Victron amended their manual for the BP - they added the following:

"The short circuit protection of the SBP will be activated if you try to directly connect loads with capacitors on their input (eg inverters). For that use case, please use the SBP to control the remote on/off switch on the inverter, instead of disconnecting the higher power DC line."
The words highlighted above suggest to me that the problem is unnecessary shutdown of the BP. I.e., no fire hazard. Just the thing shutting down maybe every time you fire it up into the inverter or turn the inverter on. The reason being just what you outlined, a surge of current into the inverter's input capacitor when the inverter is turned on. I'd guess the problem will be intermittent and depend on the charge on the capacitors when the inverter is turned on (connected to the BP) which may vary depending on time since the inverter was last used, whether there was load on the inverter when it was last shut down, where the inverter switch is located (electrically) etc.

The surge of current into an uncharged capacitor can be very very high. It's limited only by the resistance of the wires between the BP and the capacitor and the resistance of the capacitor leads (some of which are internal to the capacitor) and the capacitor plates. This resistance might be a small fraction of an ohm. By ohms law, 0.05 ohm of resistance would generate 260 amps (assuming 13V) if the input capacitor has no charge when the inverter is energized. That 260 amps will drop very quickly as the capacitor charges, but the short-circuit protection can probably operate in a millisecond or two.

hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery