Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2022, 05:19 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Victron Smart Shunt

Just finished installing my Victron smart shunt to go along with my Victron controller. Wired all negatives, including chassis ground to the load side and the single battery negative cable to the other terminal. Now I find my magnum 2812 inverter will not deliver a continuous 120 V output. Rather, it appears to be cycling intermittently on and off as indicated by the little green status light on the inverter as well as voltage turning on/off. Yes, I have verified all my connections, yet this thing does not seem to work correctly. BTW… It does indicate battery voltage and current draw, so it appears to be working, at least at the shunt monitoring level. Any ideas where to look for next? Or maybe I simply have a bad shunt?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not think the shunt, as it's just a precision resistor. I'd think more likely a poor connection. But easy enough to proof - just move the battery connection on the shunt to the load connection to bypass the shunt, to test.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
The best way to determine if the shunt is causing the issue is to remove all negative cables from the shunt and use a temporary bolt to tie all grounds together.... this will remove the shunt from the equation. If the problem persists it is in the shunt, if not you have a different issue..... chances are that it is NOT the shunt based on the issue you are describing.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:05 PM   #4

Have you turned on something that draws a few amps from the inveter/charger ?

Almost seems like it's in seek mode. That means it's switching on looking at the load and switching off if not detected.

Seek mode is a setting in the control panel.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:25 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
After installing the shunt, I noticed the Magnum green status LED was off. By pressing the nearby on/off switch I got it to come on but with intermittent flashing....2-3 regular flashes, then a couple of very short flashes...this sequence keeps repeating itself. My refer didn't come on, but the warning light for the water filter change was flashing on/off. The microwave wouldn't work. Nothing operating on 120v worked. I sure appears that my 120 out of the inverter is intermittent.

After looking through the Magnum troubleshooting info, I probably need to do a re-set tomorrow when I go back up there. BTW...I am using the 500 amp shunt...assume this has ample capacity for my 8 -6V battery battery bank(840A-H).
Old 03-27-2022, 11:22 AM   #6

two possible causes , the first is your Magnum has lost its set up program and needs some minor re-programing. the second is as the inverter is coming on line it has low voltage from possible small wire or poor connections . Turn off energy saver in your settings , turn the search setting off or as low as possible. Make sure you set the low battery cut off to a round 10.5 volts.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:26 AM   #7

The size shunt you used is based on how many amps are drawn thru it, not how many AHs of your battery bank.

Your system will never exceed 500 amps draw.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
BTW...I am using the 500 amp shunt...assume this has ample capacity for my 8 -6V battery battery bank(840A-H).
Yes, it's the correct size. The 500a shunt rating is for current going through it, not dependent on battery bank amp hour capacity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:08 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
OK...a little follow-up. The prize (and "CUPIE DOLL") goes to TwinBoat and XC-Mark! I re-set the seek/search to zero after doing a "soft reset" and everything came good! Sure is neat to see my amperages as I turn on the salesman switch and the refer.....I think I'm really going to enjoy this new monitoring capability. And BTW...I am aware the draw from inverter and house 12v system drives the shunt....I only included battery capacity as a bit of context for my system. Again...thanks to all who commented on this thread.