Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #1

Warm White LED replacement lamps

Anyone else used some of the new warm white color LED replacement lamps available in 1156 bayonet base?

On my last motorhome we replaced most of the incondecent lamps with flouresent fixtures from thinlite at about $60 each. Using these LED bulbs in the existing fixtures is a cheaper option this time around but have not 'lived' with them for any time. They seem a good idea. Do they hold up? I have bought a few at $20 each but before buying enough for the whole coach would like to find some lower cost suppliers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #2

LED Light Technology is an awesome thing these days. LED's don't burn out they just start to become dimmer over age. If you notice most trucking and bus companies have replaced their taillights with LED because they do not burn out. I believe it takes years and years before they ever start to dim. I have two shop drop lights from Home Depot that are LED and they are excellent and put off huge amouns of light. I also have a Darcy tactical flashlight with one LED bulb that is brighter than any flashlight I have ever had.
Jimmyzw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

I've done some research on them and purchased a few. I'm awaiting delivery on some Command Electronics boards. I hope to have them by the end of the week.

Of the ones that I looked at the Command Electronics seemed to be the brightest and the best. They were slightly more expensive, however, he will soon be introducing a 21 LED version of the board (the standard board is 30 LED's) that is less costly. I've been in contact with him since the write up I did...he's a good guy.

I did a LONG write up of the different lights I ordered here.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/led-lighting-62658.html

I don't work for them, I just like their product.

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:55 PM   #4

I wonder how the 18led bulbs you got from ledwholesalers compare to the 18led ones I bought from Superbrightleds.com. The ones from ledwholesalers show more lumens and a lower operating voltage and are $4 each cheaper. Guess I need to order a few and give them a try. The smd leds they use do appear smaller than the ones that Superbrightleds has on thier lamps. Not sure if surface size of the led elements means much.

I do like the color and brightness of the ones I bought from Superbrightleds, wife even likes them. The color is very un led like. Most folks would not know they were not incondescent except for the lack of heat.

I tried a few of the board types like command sells but the beam pattern was all wrong in the fixtures and the just looked bad once installed. never fit right etc. In a fixture designed for them I suppose they would work great but not as replacements.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #5

we have some of these in both colors and like em
1156-PCB-xWHP9 White LED Lamp
at http://http://www.superbrightleds.co...lbs.htm#TBLPCB
Lewisclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #6

I bought a replacement light with a built-in switch for about $40.00 and mounted it next to the incandescant in the kitcdhen area of our 88 Sunflyer. It works well but pricey.

I then saw in a Cabela's Marine catalog some listed LED lights. Bought three 18 LED light at $20 each. These came without switches so bought micro-switches from Fry's electronic and put those in brackets next to the lights. These lights are bright and are waterproof. Be nice if they had switches though.
THe Cabels's LEDs are bright enough to allow you to read a book with no problem.
Three of my old incandescant lights woulds draw 4.6 amps, four of the LEDs draw .6 amps and no heat.

Wife and I boondocked for 3 days before we had to run the generator and only then because I don't know if the propane fridge will shut down if the voltage gets too low.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #7

Just a quick followup on the 1156 replacement LEDs.

I ordered a few from LED Warehouse to compare against the ones I already had from SuperbrightLEDs. Both 18 SMD warm white leds per unit.

The ones from LED warehouse are a bit brighter side by side but a bit more white as well, not blueish at all just not as warm as the ones from Superbright which are very close to incondesent in color.

The units form LED warehouse are $3 each cheaper as well and appear made as well or better. Time will tell if either are more reliable.

I have now replaced every interior incondesent lamp with an LED bulb in our coach. The wife knew I had bought 'a few' and asked which were which. I told her they were all now LED and she remarked that had I not told her, she would not have noticed the difference except they do not get hot. Worked out much cheaper than the flouresent thin-lite fixtures we used on the last coach and the instant on is much nicer too. They should fair better in cold as well. The flouresents were dim when started in the cold and got brighter.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Has anyone found a CHEAP replacment for the 1383 style, these seem to be very expensive, they call them elevator lights.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #9

I considered converting to LED 12V lights until I read this: Super Bright LEDs - Conversion to LED Car Bulbs
Which states that generally LED's are not as bright as incandescent bulbs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I considered converting to LED 12V lights until I read this: Super Bright LEDs - Conversion to LED Car Bulbs
Which states that generally LED's are not as bright as incandescent bulbs.
Generally one should not rely on generalizations to make specific decisions.

Look at the lumens light output for the incondesent lamp you wish to replace and pic an led version with the correct base, equivelent or perhaps even higher lumen output and the color temperature you desire in that location.

Many LED replacements are BRIGHTER than the incondesents they replace as heat is not a problem.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #11

Ya, but_ when the folks selling them say they are not as bright what is one to believe?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 AM   #12

That was the point. Many are brighter than the bulbs they replace now. Find a seller of better LED lamps, several have been mentioned on this thread. These sellers will tell you which are brighter. The specs are posted on the web sites.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Best part of LED - less battery usage!!!! The lumms and all that stuff are nothing compared to a dead battery in the am!!!! The LED's are AWESOME and save soooo much battery voltage for the next day!!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:09 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slp45 View Post
Has anyone found a CHEAP replacment for the 1383 style, these seem to be very expensive, they call them elevator lights.
Don't know about cheap - $20 at the Quartzsite RV show last Jan - but they are bright.
The problem is that the beam width is smaller than the regular bulb and my fixtures won't move out far enough to put the beam where it needs to be.