What happened + how to prevent in the future??
I've got a puzzling problem and I'm hoping the sage knowledge of the IRV2 group can help.
I’m trying to figure out what happened and why so that I can prevent in the future.
My environment is Magnum hybrid 3012 inverter + Magnum BMK + Magnum MPPT 100 + (3) 200a LifeBlue Lithium batteries (the new high amp “fixed model”)from Starlight + 1300w solar array on the roof.
I live in NH and the RV is stored for the winter(sadly). This was my first ‘season” with the new Solar/Lithium install and I am certainly not an expert or even close. Everything has been working great since I completed the install earlier this year, with the help and support of Larry @ Starlight and this great community. We had several trips in the spring and summer with the completed install and everything worked flawlessly.
I put the RV into storage in OCT, made sure all the batteries were not fully charged (were approx. 70%) tripped the breakers to the solar so no charging, no 120v from street into house batt., but I did have a small trickle charger to the Engine battery. I flipped the "Salesman Switch " to kill all 12v batt usage, locked her up and went home.
In NOV, went to check.. all good... batteries fine.. exercised the genny with a load for about an hour, but made sure it wasn’t charging, as I didn’t want to raise the charge levels in the lithium. Then I checked all switches, batt levels, etc, flipped the salesman switch again and left.
Came back in DEC, and 2 of the LifeBlue couldn’t even connect via BT so I couldn’t even get a connection on the BT or reading on my iPhone app. There were No house lights, no 12v anything. Checked all breakers, all good.
Even the Magnum BMK was blank. I did get a reading of ONE of the lithium @ 79%. the battery that the Magnum BMK was wired to.
So I plugged in street 120v.. still nothing.. let it sit while I booted the laptop and MiFi to research what went wrong.. and after about 10 min, the BMK came to life, and 2 of the LifeBlue that I couldn’t get a reading, came back to life with 0% SOC. Magnum BMK came back to life to.
all the Magnum BMK settings were still there except for date/time. I started charging, Bulk mode. ODD as it only ‘bulk charged” @ 13.6-13.8 (it fluctuated), and not at the 14.6 that it is set for. Unless I am misunderstanding this.
I am guessing that the ONE battery @ 79% prevented it from going to 14.6?
here is what I am puzzled at:
1. Why did they drain at all? All switches were off/tripped, should have been zero drain I would think?. Could I have potentially a bad “Salesman Switch” and the phantom drains were really still there?
2. Why did they drain to zero, and why only two of them drain and not all three? I didn’t note it, but I thought I saw the two @ 0% still had 11 volts. I believe that this is what the built in BMS stopped it at, to prevent completely draining the battery. Is this correct?
3. Did I do any damage to the batteries?
4. Why not all three drain/charge the same rate? I did properly bring them to full independently before connecting them together during the initial installation.
5. Why does one maintain @ higher SOC?
6. What happens if the storage charge is over 50%?? Should I have brought them ALL to 50% before I shut them down for storage? Did keeping that @ over 50% cause impact?
7. Magnum BMK when set to equalize mode, it is only bulk charging at 13.8 vs 14.6 which is set for absorb mode. Why is that?
8. Again this 2 dead + one good is bothering me. I have no idea why this is.
Thanks everyone in advance
Mike & Jo
2005 Itasca Horizon 40KD ISL 400 Freightliner
2006 Jeep Rubicon Toad+BlueOx - LostInOurTravels.com