Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Your opinion on LifeBlue LiPo heated batteries...

Just watched this entire LifeBlue LiPo 200ah battery install video (its long) including the difference of heating these batteries by charging them from the charging source instead of from the battery power itself like the Battle Born heated batteries do.

There is also the difference of the cost of these batteries compared to the Battle Born batteries. What say you?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #2

Around the 20 minute mark when they talk about the cut off from over voltage charging and the battery shutting the charging down, I believe if they just lowered the absorb voltage and then walked the voltage up after a few charging cycles the cells would of balanced themselves especially once they wired them together. I would imagine opening the battery might cause an issue with warranty if something went bad.

Good thing for fast foward to shorten the view time.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I think even the LifeBlue 200ah battery at $1510 is too expensive. LiFePO4 battery prices are continuing to fall. Within a year or so they will be half the current price.

You can purchase four 280ah cells for $433 and a quality BMS for $100 and build your own battery. Add a few bus bars and a case and you have a 280ah battery for under $600.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #4

Many folks don't want to build their own and a quality dropin with support and warranty means alot for some.

If I didn't have my GBS system I would look seriously at Lifeblue and now with heat pads in them, a nice dropin option.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
Around the 20 minute mark when they talk about the cut off from over voltage charging and the battery shutting the charging down, I believe if they just lowered the absorb voltage and then walked the voltage up after a few charging cycles the cells would of balanced themselves especially once they wired them together. I would imagine opening the battery might cause an issue with warranty if something went bad.

Unfortunately no. The batteries do not have balance boards so no internal balancing. Lowering the charge to a lower value (as I also suggested to David in my comment) will help with one cell being higher than the other 3 during charging but will not bring them together. I have one battery that after 4 years has one cell that wants to be the first one to 3.65 vpc while the others are at approximately 3.45 vpc.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:15 PM   #6

I would of thought they had passive balancing. That explains why they opened the pack to tighten the cell voltages to start.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've three 200AH Lifeblue batteries with the heaters. Going now on two years. Zero issues. Support has been excellent - responsive and knowing. . The built in monitoring is excellent to have.

Travel 6+ months of the year and dry camp a larger percentage of that time.

Very satisfied. I'd likely buy again today.

###

Using with Magnum Hybrid inverter/charger and 1500w solar with Victron controller.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I think even the LifeBlue 200ah battery at $1510 is too expensive. LiFePO4 battery prices are continuing to fall. Within a year or so they will be half the current price.

You can purchase four 280ah cells for $433 and a quality BMS for $100 and build your own battery. Add a few bus bars and a case and you have a 280ah battery for under $600.

They are not difficult to make. Plus the warranty is how long as you make it. But I think the real point is the cost benefit on the cheap price VS paying 5 times for a production battery (amp hours) that is basically the same parts just to get a warranty.

augie1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
I would of thought they had passive balancing. That explains why they opened the pack to tighten the cell voltages to start.
I think passive balancing can be a help in some cases but more often I think it is a hindrance.

By the way did you see in the video where they set in the CC/CV charge voltages? Absorb 14.5v and rebulk at 13.8v. Wow! That pack will never leave 100% SOC while on shore power.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #10

Yes I did and thought the same thing. After almost 5 1/2 year 14.1v absorb & 13.6v float in everyday use has been working for me.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:21 PM   #11

I looked at the Lifeblue. Availability and price was bad. Also read some bad reviews.
Built my own 200AH battery. I have heating pads and a temperature controller. Not installed yet, it's still summer. Maybe I will pull them out of the battery box and put them in an old cooler.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #12

Will's youtube channel is quite awesome He seems to be very knowledgeable about solar anything, panels, generators and batteries.

I have his book on RV solar and also have been a subscriber to his channel. Like others say I would rather buy than build. Hopefully when I am ready to pick up my 2023 Bay Star 3401 from the Newmar factory next year the prices on these may be lower

Since I can't have my solar on the RV now I am in the process of putting two 180w (Newpowa) panels that will tilt on my 2017 JKU Should be fun the stuff is coming soon!

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:

Correct. One could limit the charge current so the higher voltage cells don't go so high as to trigger the battery cut-off from a too-high cell voltage. Moreover, this would give the balancing system in the Lifeblue BMS time to work on balancing the cells. By time to work, I mean many hours, maybe dozens of hours. The balancing system in the Lifeblue, like most, bypasses current around the higher voltage cells thereby giving the lower voltage cell(s) more current and allowing it(them) to catch-up charge-wise. The Lifeblue balancing circuits, like most don't carry much current so are only suitable for a "fine tune" on the balance. They might eventually balance a way out of line cell, but it might take months of cycles. A battery that experiences high loading (and thus higher cell internal losses, especially in a weak cell) might never get balanced.

The current that bypasses the cell via the balancing circuit is fairly small and is about the same regardless of charge current. So, the lower charge current you suggest would provide time for that slow balancing to finally take care of the lower SOC cell.

I'm impressed with your thinking. For those building their own LiFePO4 batteries, this would be a good trick to do the final balancing assuming one is not in a hurry to get the battery installed.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Unfortunately no. The batteries do not have balance boards so no internal balancing. Lowering the charge to a lower value (as I also suggested to David in my comment) will help with one cell being higher than the other 3 during charging but will not bring them together. I have one battery that after 4 years has one cell that wants to be the first one to 3.65 vpc while the others are at approximately 3.45 vpc.
Actually, it would work. On my last LiFePO4 battery build I did something very similar though I did the balancing manually by placing a healthy resistor across the cell(s) with the highest voltage. There's no reason the built-in balancing circuitry couldn't do this in the Lifeblue. It would just take more time since the balancing current is quite low. Limiting the charge current by lowering the absorb voltage would provide this longer time. And, yes, Lifeblue batteries do have balancing circuitry in the BMS. You can watch it work if you bring up the individual cell voltage read-out and watch it carefully (though with my Lifeblue there's rarely much unbalance so one might have to watch for many hours before seeing it work).

I have a home brew 280 Ah battery that has a cell with higher resistance than the others. It behaves just as you outline. During charging it hits 3.65 before the others and no amount of balancing is going to help since the problem is not SOC but high internal resistance. I confirmed this by ensuring all cells were fully charged and then measuring cell voltage drop with load applied individually to each cell. I also capacity tested the cells and this one was only about 2% below the others (due to it dissipating some charge internally in the higher resistance). I supposed I could have asked for a replacement ... but I had better things to do.

Tags
batteries, heat