Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
General Motors is building Yukon and Tahoe Hybrid SUV's that have dual mode propulsion systems. In the first mode the vehicle will operate on its 300 volt electrical system or on the gasoline engine as determined by the speed and/or load.

In the second mode it runs entirely on the V8 engine and can handle towing up to a maximum of 6200# (2WD). The SUV is EPA rated @ 20 mpg city or highway which doesn't seem so great when I consider the '02 4x4 Yukon we have now will get 19 on a highway trip.

Has anyone bought one of these SUV's and if so, what is your personal experiences regarding fuel consumption and towing ability?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
General Motors is building Yukon and Tahoe Hybrid SUV's that have dual mode propulsion systems. In the first mode the vehicle will operate on its 300 volt electrical system or on the gasoline engine as determined by the speed and/or load.

In the second mode it runs entirely on the V8 engine and can handle towing up to a maximum of 6200# (2WD). The SUV is EPA rated @ 20 mpg city or highway which doesn't seem so great when I consider the '02 4x4 Yukon we have now will get 19 on a highway trip.

Has anyone bought one of these SUV's and if so, what is your personal experiences regarding fuel consumption and towing ability?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

I don't know about their towing performance,but I looked at one the other day and the sticker claimed 22 mpg hiway which didn't impress me considering the $12,000 differance (So. Florida price) compared to the conventional gas engine. Sure can buy alot of gas with 12 grand!!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the real benefit is the increase in City stop & go mileage, not on the highway.

I have a 2005 Yukon 4WD that gets about 17 to 18 mpg on the highway at 70 to 75 mph, but in town you can figure 13 mpg at best on a good day.

Hook up my 21' Boston Whaler to it (about 5,500#) and you will only get 10 mpg assuming the road is fairly flat and you go 60 to 65 mph.

The hybrid supposedly gets the same City and Highway. 7 mpg increase in the City ain't shabby, but you are correct that the extra cost is a consideration.

If you have a "Green" mindset, it might be worth it. I just spent over $6000 to put a new solar hot water system on my house (after tax credit and incentives about $3,500) but I feel better and have not used electric to heat any water (except the few watts for the pumps) in over 6 weeks!
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote