Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
rray32539, You are omitting one critical and important factor in this equation. Ford wanted to be fully vertically integrated including the chassis, powertrain and body. Ford now controls its entire destiny, the powertrain as a whole and the complete vehicle now more than ever. For the first time, the vehicle comes under the entire domain of the Ford Motor Company. That's what it's all about. Contests aside, this has been Ford's focus through the years and when they were ready, they moved on this opportunity and implemented the new business model.

The way I read it was Ford had its 7.3 that was out like forever. Chevy came out with the DirtyMax and Fords pickup was taking a hit. Ford had Navistar R&D a new motor the 6.0. This thing was never really tested and rushed out to compete with the DirtyMax and the rest of the 6.0 is history. After the $$$ Ford lost on the 6.0 I dont think they had much of a choice but R&D their own motor. Give me a Cummins motor with a Allison tranny in a Ford truck.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #58

Tiffin Owners Club
I try to buy from a American owned company. I want the profits to stay here in this country and not go to a foreign country. I am happy for the Americans that are employed no matter who is the employer but for now my auto purchases are from GM or Ford.

Living in Michigan I have seen some of the worse recession possible in my lifetime.
W8EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8EB View Post
I try to buy from a American owned company. I want the profits to stay here in this country and not go to a foreign country. I am happy for the Americans that are employed no matter who is the employer but for now my auto purchases are from GM or Ford.

Living in Michigan I have seen some of the worse recession possible in my lifetime.

Do you consider Mexico foreign?? Because thats were it was probably assembled. American owned but alot of labor out of US.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Do you consider Mexico foreign?? Because thats were it was probably assembled. American owned but alot of labor out of US.
YUP - both Ford and Dodge have MANY of their trucks built in Mexico - as my '02 Dodge/Cummins was - and GM has operations in Canada for some of their models as well.

Sadly, that quaint notion of "buying AMERICAN made stuff" is just that - a notion that has long since evaporated into fantasy - as even those products that ARE "assembled" in the USA are filled with individual components made in various foreign locations - mostly Asian...

Sorta ironic that Fords, Chevies and Dodges are assembled in Mexico and Canada - while many Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans are assembled right here inside our own borders...

The battle for American made goods - those TOTALLY made in this country - has long since been LOST beyond any reasonable hope of recovery, and it now it only remains for buyers to try to cope with an American dollar quickly and steadily drifting lower in value and buying power, by at least shopping for the best bang for their buck.

Sadly, hoping and waiting for America's return as a major player in the global manufacturing and industrial arena, is sorta like still believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #61

RetiredBlade has the concept correct. We complain about the cost of fuel, the unemployment rate, the national debt, excessive government regulations, etc. Then we (collectively as a nation) purchase foreign goods, sending our jobs, our investment capital and our quality control overseas. Even if the MHs from China were not produced by starving children at minimum wage (just kidding, truly not my belief) I would choose to purchase a product that is produced, at least in majority, in the United States or North America (Mexico included in North America).
JMHO
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
There aren't any Chinese built autos for sale in the US that I know of. Why would they consider entering the US market with a RV before testing the waters with an auto?
FYI, there are Chinese manufactured autos available for purchase in the US. China now owns Volvo.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #63
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Bing back the YUGO
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #64

Most Americans (including me) want to buy American products for a variety of reasons. We want to support our workers and keep the money in the country to foster growth. However, these same Americans don't want to pay more for a product than they have to. You put two identical in function and quality products on a shelf. One costs $80(made in Mexico) the other costs $90 (made down the street) and the majority of us will buy the $80 product. America is the high cost producer of just about every retail product.

We tend to blame corporations for "sending" jobs overseas at the expense of US workers. The fact is, is that if companies did not do that they we be flat out of business. This is not true for all companies and it depends on what they make. Some companies have actually brought manufacturing and service back to the U.S. due to poor workmanship, but this is rare. It is more than difficult to compete with companies paying $1-2 a day for labor to make socks and American companies pay $20 an hour including benefits and social taxes.

We tend also to blame retailers such as WalMart for doing everything they can to provide us with the lowest cost products (hopefully ones that work) and to use their buying power to make this happen. I see nothing wrong with this and hope they keep doing it. Suppliers do not have to sell their products through Walmart. Walmart has done more in the last 30 years to help the lower income among us than anyone else, especially the feds. (just an opinion)

Would I buy a Chinese made motorhome? Perhaps as long as I did not have to go to Beijing to get service.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can thank the unions for almost killing the US Auto Industry. Now there stonghold is the schools and government and we can see how well thats going.

You want to buy a Chinese Motorhome ? How about the Chinese Wallboard aftr Katrina !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #66

Didn't say I wanted to buy a mh built in China. Just that I would not rule them out just because it was made there.

Several posts have pointed out how some Chinese made products don't meet US standards for quality, chemical uses, lead in paint, etc. We should insist that any product imported to the US meet our safety standards. At the same time we should insist that US companies do likewise. There are many recent cases of US made product recalls, poisons in dogfood made in SC, production/safety issues with various drugs, hamburger, sausage. eggs. Let's not forget all the recent recalls for WH brakes and Norcold fridges. China is not alone in having both bad and good products.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #67

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fact remains that we are all in a global marketplace now. You would be hard pressed to buy everything American no matter how hard you tried.
Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think it funny that all these folks that did their heels into the sand about buying American only are the same ones I see buying the cheapest stuff they can find. And guess where most of it comes from??

Dave

Tags
china, chinese rv, horvath, yutong bus