Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Exclusive: Fran Roberts Discusses Camping World Buyout

Exclusive:
Fran Roberts Discusses Camping World Buyout

By Greg Gerber @ 2:46 PM
RV Daily Report

SEFFNER, Fla. -- In an exclusive interview with RV Daily Report, Bob Zagami talks to Fran Roberts, the owner of Long View RV, which recently sold his Florida store to Camping World. The two discuss what led to the Camping World buyout, the speed with which it happened, and what will become of Long View's dealership in New England.

Bob Zagami: Why Camping World and why now?
Fran Roberts: As the greater Tampa area continued to expand, we would frequently get inquiries from other real estate brokers on the possible sale of our Florida location dealership. There were many offers from non-RV related entities but we always felt that the best use of this property should be another RV dealer.

Several RV dealerships looked at the property this year but they struggled with the investment it would take in building a flagship facility. Also, the recent press releases regarding the RV turmoil in the Tampa Bay area clouded retail RV sales.

Our wholesale inventory was dramatically reduced when Gulf Stream exited the market. This left us without a motorized product and other brands we wanted to carry were already spoken for in Florida.
As the Camping World situation changed in Florida, Marcus Lemonis walked in and was ready to make a deal. It was a simple and fair process and they showed their willingness to move quickly and make something happen here. And they did. We were truly amazed at the efficiency and capabilities of their company to turn this from an idea to an executed deal in such a short period of time.

Bob Zagami: How could they make something like this happen so quickly?
Fran Roberts: Camping World immediately saw the value and potential of this property to significantly change the Tampa market and use it as their premier location in the country to showcase what the company can do for RV consumers nationwide. They flew several internal staff members in to Tampa to inspect the facilities and provide feedback on their ideas and what it would take to match the vision of Marcus Lemonis. We were really amazed at how quickly they worked and the synergy of all their people in meetings with our staff and management team. This was one of the quickest and most straight forward major decisions I have seen in the RV industry.

Bob Zagami: Are there any regrets after signing on the dotted line?
Fran Roberts: Actually just the opposite! I know that this is a great opportunity for our Tampa team to grow with a national leader in our industry. Having the expertise that Marcus brings to Camping World and the financial strength to continue expanding the retail stores and RV sales, will provide them a lot of opportunity to expand and grow that we could never have matched in today’s market.

Knowing that the facility we built down there will now become a national RV showcase is very rewarding for Frank, Shirley and me. It’s truly a winning situation for everybody.

Bob Zagami: When does Camping World take over the day-to-day operations of the dealership?
Fran Roberts: Soon! We don’t have an exact date yet but they are working with our team to understand the facilities and how they will expand them and they have already started site improvements on landscaping, paving, and new signs will go up soon. Given how fast they executed this deal, it will not be long before it is the newest tourist attraction in the area and the parking lot will be filled with visitors and buyers. They have the capability to move a lot of inventory to this site in a short period of time. Frank, my son, who has been the president of the dealership since it opened, was very impressed with the Camping World management team and will be their main point of contact moving forward.

Bob Zagami: Are you going to retire now?
Fran Roberts: Hell no, whatever gave you that idea? This has been our life story since we opened our first location on the Mohawk Trail in western Massachusetts in 1959, selling Winnebago’s under an observation tower and next to a gift shop owned by my parents.

I still remember the story you did on us in 2002 when you were the editor of RV News about how we started in business and the first time you ever saw our first location:
“Roberts started as a youth, while still in college. He began his career under the high observation tower that was part of his parent's souvenir and tourist attraction on the picturesque Mohawk Trail in Greenfield, Massachusetts. Frank and Shirley worked the business by themselves, never hiring their first employee until 1970.
"Three years later they actually sold 55 Winnebago motorhomes in two months.
"I remember stopping at this Mohawk Trail landmark as a youngster when traveling with my parents. We didn't go camping as a kid ... hell; I didn't know what camping was when I was a kid. The trailers next to the souvenir shop never even garnered a glance from me ... all I wanted to do was climb the tower and look at the beautiful scenery in all directions that spanned three states. This was the first place that I ever remember seeing a Winnebago motorhome. I must confess - I didn't have the slightest idea what it was and never even went over to look at it.”
Shirley and I have enjoyed every minute of it (well ok, almost every minute of it) and we were excited when Frank joined the business after graduating from Northeastern University. Frank furthered his training by working at Beaudry’s RV of Tucson, Ariz., and Lazydays of Tampa. It’s kind of ironic that Frank wound up building a great dealership just one exit down the road for us.

We are not retiring and will now focus all our attention at our Windsor Locks, Conn., facility right off Route 91 between Hartford, Conn., and Springfield, Mass.

We don’t have a Camping World store anywhere near this location. Their closest stores are in New Hampshire, New Jersey and New York. So, given this experience of working with Marcus and his team, we would seriously consider adding a Camping World retail store to this property with excellent visibility to hundreds of thousands of RVers that head out of New England on vacation or on their way to a snowbird location for the winter.

Bob Zagami: Ok, so you are staying around and staying active, what do you see for the industry in the years ahead?
Fran Roberts: We don’t have enough time to cover all the issues and challenges facing our industry today! No, seriously, I think the years ahead will be good for our industry. Trailers and fifth wheels will continue to lead the recovery with some great products coming off the line. Our fifth-wheel business is great and we see a lot of former motorhome owners opting for a pick-up truck and a fifth-wheel trailer.

We are starting to see some younger families coming into the lifestyle, but we have to continue focusing on them and the new demographics of families as they see the new Go RVing ads and start to visit dealerships.

Service is always an issue and we have to attract more young people into training and apprenticeships to show them what a great career opportunity they can have with a dealership, especially given the economy and job market right now.

We are seeing the next generation of owners coming along, like Frank, who have more formal education and business training, who are in the same generation as new owners. They grew up on the computer, the Internet and now communicate with their friends and customers through social media and new technology associated with smartphones and tablets. They get it, and it will help them build the business with their communications on a national level with a computer-savvy prospect and customer.

The new generation of smaller, more fuel efficient, gas and diesel motorhomes will still find many waiting prospects and owners who still want to enjoy the lifestyle from the cockpit of a motorhome. This new generation of coaches in the 26- to 34-foot range are getting a lot of attention and manufacturers are turning out some great product to keep them coming back to the dealership.

I think it is also time for the industry to move beyond their bashing of Camping World and Marcus Lemonis with the many negative comments, often unsigned by people willing to say things but unwilling to attach their name and stand behind what they are saying. We found Marcus to be extremely professional throughout all our discussions, genuinely concerned about our employees and customers, and dedicated to growing his company and providing a professional experience for the Camping World employees and customers. I was very disappointed to see these types of comments posted to the story about our recent sale to Camping World. It’s obvious to us that these people, in most cases, simply don’t know what they are talking about or the man they want to chastise for running a successful business.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #2

The wife and I stopped at a Camping World above Marysville,WA, on the way to our daughter's to check TTs last week. Very high pressure salesman. Didn't know his inventory. We walked all over the lot. Some units were filthy. Ended by giving us brochure of brand we never looked at that didn't come in the size we wanted. I know not all are like this, but we weren't impressed and won't go back.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkQ View Post
I know not all are like this, but we weren't impressed and won't go back.
We like the store in Nashville TN but they're often out-of-stock on something we went there for. We can usually find a knowledgeable salesperson to help us. We also liked the new CampingWorld in Ocala FL.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just not impressed with the high pressure to buy something. Often overpriced, but with a discount?
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
I hate sales people that don't know their products. I also hate the high pressure used car lot sales approach. I would hope if Camping World is trying to corner the RV market they do it with quality staff and service.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #6

Sounds to me thst Camping World is trying to get a bigger share of the dealership market by buying turnkey dealerships instead of opening there own. I believe lakeview is the second dealership that sells Newmar products that they have purchased in the last few months
Willie Makit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #7

the tacoma washington store has a company set up at the exit door trying to sell camp ground memberships.very high pressure the secong you walk out the door very hard to get them to leave you alone.we do not go there unless we cannot find it anywhere else
nail40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I'm with you. I hate those Vultures , we try to avoid CW as much as possible. They have really changed the companies culture for the worse.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #9

Store OK ---- RV dealerships suck....

I started my quest for my first Diesel Pusher at Camping World. Felt like I needed a shower when I left. Great store when I bought my first 5er. Had to buy everything and the membership helped a great deal. Only buy a membership, now, when I need something big......
lakedweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestme13 View Post
I'm with you. I hate those Vultures , we try to avoid CW as much as possible. They have really changed the companies culture for the worse.
One of the few things Steve and I agree upon.

It is easy to avoid buying from CW. Just visit our sponsor:

RV Motorhome Parts and Camper Supplies : RV Water Pump : RV Accessories Parts : RV Tank : RV Store : Motorhome Covers : RVUpgradeStore.com

Nice people, fast service, competitive prices...no membership needed!

I'm just a loyal customer!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
ED, I just now paid attention to your avatar .... I miss her too!

AND Yes your right about www.RVUpgrades.com. Bill runs a good store plus he loads us up with door prises for our rallies.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #12

Has anyone noticed that as soon as CW takes over a dealership or integrates the RV Sales division, there is no parking for big rigs (the people that made CW what it is today)? Nothing but Vultures hanging around with high pressure tactics for a New rig or campground membership,etc? And all I wanted was a outside floormat and roll of Toilet tissue.

They have ruined what CW used to be. I despise the name when it's associated with one of their "new generation" concept stores.
Macpeety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail40
the tacoma washington store has a company set up at the exit door trying to sell camp ground memberships.very high pressure the secong you walk out the door very hard to get them to leave you alone.we do not go there unless we cannot find it anywhere else
Yes , I have been there and also avoid it unless I absolutely have to go in to the store. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with the guy at the door but it just made it uncomfortable trying to avoid him.
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Macpeeeeety, DITTO. I'd just as soon they lost the RV sales, and went back to the way it was. A dump site with overnight parking, a SUPER WALLY WORLD, just for campers!!!!!
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping