Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
New Gas Chassis Coming in Spring 2013

November 2012
Coming Spring 2013,
New Gas Chassis

December 1, 2012 -- Union Gap, Wash.-based Jones & Sons Chassis is in development of what the company calls the “next generation” of front-engine gas chassis design, with the work in progress scheduled for an unveiling at the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association’s (RVIA) 50th Annual National RV Trade Show, Nov. 27-29 in Louisville, Ky.

Gary Jones, who founded the company in 2005, tells RVBUSINESS.com that this new platform is specifically designed and engineered for the RV body builder and will be available in a standard stripped-chassis format or in a coach-ready version in which a great deal of componentry like outriggers, leveling jacks and generators are already in place for the body builder.

“We can’t release any specifics prior to the trade show,” said Jones, who declined to elaborate on drive train details on his new gas chassis project, which has been in the works since February. “But it sure has been fun to work on.”

The chassis will be “competitively priced with significant product improvements” and is intended as an innovative alternative to Ford, Workhorse and Freightliner units, said Jones, adding that his company is targeting the entry-level segment of the Class A gas market with chassis measuring “up to 30 feet” in length.

Jones & Sons Chassis’ veteran staff members have previously worked on a wide array of proprietary chassis for companies such as Fleetwood Enterprises Inc., Safari Motor Coaches Inc., Country Coach Inc., Western Recreational Vehicles Inc. as well as Tiffin Motorhomes Inc.’s Power Glide Custom Chassis program, which supports Tiffin’s Allegro Breeze, Allegro Bus and Phaeton luxury lines.

"The APEX"

Jones and Son Chassis
"Chassis You Can Believe In"
·
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure missing lotsa parts.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Sure missing lotsa parts.
You bet!

The chassis is just a prototype (concept) demonstrator.

It seem like this was the norm rater than the exception. Just wait until you see my Spartan Extol pictures. It can be best described as skin and bones.

When Workhorse displayed a chassis those units were all able to run and be parked. I expect that next year at RVIA they should "both" have working models.

Rather than not showiing anything at all, they exhibited a prototype and they were willing to speak about the product and answer questions.

The rail itself was nearly complete and the next steps would be to begin adding accessories, plumbing and electrical harnesses.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

Well how about that, looks as if Spartan & Ford will have a bit of competition when it comes to the smaller chassis applications.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Well how about that, looks as if Spartan & Ford will have a bit of competition when it comes to the smaller chassis applications.
You bet. When Workhorse closed the doors there was money left on the table. There are companies out there that want to pick it up and so much the better for consumers.

Most likely Ford will keep most of their business and there's little downside for them because of the quantities of chassis that would be ordered by OEMs. Ford is going to have a number of things going for them so it's going to be difficult to beat a company that has been doing this over and again for 20 years

The Apex is limiting itself to a nieche of 30 to 33 feet (at the moment) and as far as I know, Spartan's Extol is looking for an audience for the front gas chassis (but they already have OEMs that buy from them). With Extol being powered by an 8.8L engine you can probably expect wheelbases on the order of 228" - 248" with GCWR of ~26K pounds.

It looks like the gas chassis business is going to be interssteing in 2013.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #6

I'll be interested to hear what the compelling reasons to use this chassis will be -- at least in the pictures, it's quite conventional.

Steve
Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I'll be interested to hear what the compelling reasons to use this chassis will be -- at least in the pictures, it's quite conventional.

Steve
Competition!

It always improves the older brands and keeps them on their toes!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know, from my viewpoint of the APEX chassis as shown, they are the one who must step UP to the competition to be successful. From what I see, they can't hold a candle to the competition presented by the Ford chassis. JMHO.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
From what I see, they can't hold a candle to the competition presented by the Ford chassis. JMHO.
dieselclacker; Once must look at the tale of the tape. I will try to upload the specification sheet as a PDF. (2)

Hopefully its not going to be too large.

The equipment that is installed on the Apex is so unconventional and overrated that it can not be compared to a competitor. it's like tring to compare and M1 tank to a lawnmower.

You're going to see a 23,500 pound rated 33 foot long coach with Quadraulic HPB brakes, Allson 2100 transmission, 50K psi steel rail, dual 40 gallon tanks, Ahrens push button shifter and on and on ....

The only thing that I see missing is the 400+ HP BIG block gas engine which will leave the Apex at an initial disadvantage if they don't come up to speed on getting an 8.8L for expample when it becomes available OR the use of a V8 diesel engine like the MaxxForce7.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Apex_1.pdf (1.58 MB, 154 views)
File Type: pdf Apex_2.pdf (2.32 MB, 153 views)
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
With Ford being a long time player and the experienced Spartan beating AP to the market, I believe they will have a tough time.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #11

I love to see entrepreneurship and innovation in the good ol' USA. Keep up the good work and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor to compete with the "big-boys"...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
With Ford being a long time player and the experienced Spartan beating AP to the market, I believe they will have a tough time.
Dirk, You maybe right but the lead engineer comes with credentials. He's the father of Tiffin's proprietary chassis and the guy that made the Tiffin Breeze a working product.

I'm sure that the American Chassis guys are going into this knowing their competition & more importantly their market.

Opinion?
Old 12-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Nice job Mike

I think we need to give every new comer the chance to prove themselves.
IMHO we need as much competition as possible, it keeps everyone honest and continuing to develop new ideas. I for one would love to see a strong running gasser in the 32'-38' range getting 10mpg or better. I can see this being an easy task with efficient power plants and more aero designs. We as RVers need to start thinking outside the ole BOXs.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #14

History is littered with well engineered products that didn't succeed commercially.

We could make the many of the same arguments about the old Freightliner FRED or the Workhorse UFO. And neither of those products had the spectre of financial uncertainty that an effectively new company will face.

Steve

Tags
chassis, gas