Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > RV Industry Press
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Location: Full-Timer (Thousand Palms RV Resort - Inverness Fl)
And Steve, DriVer's comments are for you - no sense in stopping in a normal manner - slam them babies on and see how fast you can stop.
MCPO Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2007, 04:26 PM   #30

People want to talk about how great the exhaust brake is on a DP and how nice it is descending grades with it. Has anyone stopped to think WHY diesel pushers have and NEED exhaust brakes...? That's because those DP's with air brake systems typically have air drum brakes, which are extraordinarily prone to heat fade and CAN'T be ridden all the way down the side of a mountain.

So before you talk about how bad those "glowing rotors" are at the bottom of the hill, remember this: At least you could stop, get out, and look at those rotors at the bottom of the hill WITHOUT an exhaust brake!

Air brakes have their place and hydraulic brakes have their place. To me, hydraulic brakes are a suitable system for a motor home but have only been engineered to date for <33,000lbs GVW vehicles.

BTW, in a panic stop who has time to flip on the exhaust brake...?

ALSO, does anyone have an appreciation for how violent it is to stop a 26,000lb vehicle traveling 60MPH in 189 feet!!!!

Regards,
Goldsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
its the age ole story, the cheapo swearing its as good or better then the expensive one. i believe if hyd brakes were that good, they trucking ind would have had them.

i drove the ufo and it really does have outstanding brakes, but i will never admit it

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
i drove the ufo and it really does have outstanding brakes, but i will never admit it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #33

Trucks have air because it's less maintenance, no fluid to change. And because of the trailers. Just imagine how much fluid would be lost every time you hooked up and unhook. Not to mention the cross contamination of "bad fluid".

Roadmaster Brake system
mthom12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mthom12:
Trucks have air because it's less maintenance, no fluid to change. And because of the trailers. Just imagine how much fluid would be lost every time you hooked up and unhook. Not to mention the cross contamination of "bad fluid". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You hear a lot of complaints when an autopark system fails and locks up which approximates what happens when air brakes fail, can you imagin all the squawk if all motorhomes had air brakes which would lock up or fail to release all the way when they took their foot off the brake pedal because they used up all their air reserve or experienced a pressure loss.

Each system has their high points however I don't know of any states that require special certificates or training/competency riders for the use of hydraulic brakes only on air systems.

Use what works for you but learn about the limitations and adjust you driving style to match what you have got.

I drive an F53 and have had to make a panic stop at 60MPH when a fire engine pull out accross the road. Yes I was going the posted speed and no I did not hear or see the fire engine until it entered the road 200+ feet ahead of me. It was an extremely violent and close stop and I really would have appreciated having a few more feet reserve between us after we got to a full stop.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mthom12:
Trucks have air because it's less maintenance, no fluid to change. And because of the trailers. Just imagine how much fluid would be lost every time you hooked up and unhook. Not to mention the cross contamination of "bad fluid". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much the same reasons trains have air! In fact, trains had it before trucks. Invented by George Westinghouse and patented in 1869. Henry Ford was only six years old!

SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #36

Mid Atlantic Campers
very good USA !

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote