Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2005 Discovery 39S

After about 6 months of blood, sweat, and tears I finally scored a Motor Home!

This is the 4th MH that we seriously pursued. Two motor homes were on consignment lots and were beautiful and clean to the uninitiated eye. However, the inspection process found both engines had serious problems ($2000 for the privilege of finding that out btw). One motor home, a very promising 2000 Monaco Dynasty was sold out from under us after we had purchased plane tickets to go pick it up.

Finally, we found this gem. It has 60,000 miles and was used in a business only within the state of Texas. The bottom looks showroom clean. The PO said they only took one vacation in it in 8 years of ownership.

The coach has maintenance records and has been used fairly continuously throughout its life. The Cat technician said it had no codes in the engine and passed the cylinder cut out test and high pressure fuel test. (He also said "buy this coach")

The main flaw with the coach (so far) is a place on the rear fiberglass where PO hit his trailer hitch that needs repair and some paint touch up. The coach has been kept under cover its whole life. The tires are 2011 (probably another year left before I start to worry, but my first purchase was a TMPS).

My dear wife is laughing at me because I am obsessing over the details. The remote keyless entry fobs would not work. I found the manual and it said to push the button once to unlock. Turns out mine takes two consecutive pushes and works every time. Also, i figured out the button for the steps...

I have a lot more learning to do, but that is all the fun. Oh, by the way, the first thing I did when I got it home is to break off the handle that raises the batwing antenna (anyone know where I can get one?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewMotorHome.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	111471  
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Nice Rig Sir, As for the fobs, check to see if the batteries are ok, and for the Ant Handle, any RV dealer should have one. Happy Trails Y'all.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #3

Looks nice. I'm sure it will work out for you. Unless there are visible issues with the tires I wouldn't worry about them for another few years. We run our tires as per Michelins recomendations. At year eight we have them properly inspected by our tire guys. If they are questionable we change them.

Happy trails.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks guys. Feeling more confident already.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #5

Nice looking!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a beauty there. Enjoy.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on purchasing a very fine rig. May it give you many yaars of trouble free travel and enjoyment.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #8

Nice looking rig, if you haven't done so, join the Discovery Owners Club. They have a great forum and is dedicated to Discovery. Lots of very knowledgable owners.
unclebones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

That is a nice looking rig Now start racking up the miles and making memories.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebones View Post
Nice looking rig, if you haven't done so, join the Discovery Owners Club. They have a great forum and is dedicated to Discovery. Lots of very knowledgable owners.
I have joined, thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #11

I'm glad you finally found one. I am bouncing back between a TT and a class C. If i am looking at a Class C Used, I do not know enough to about engines myself to look under the hood to determine what's going on. Is there an etiquette to follow as far as getting the engine or whole RV checked out by an unbiased 3rd party? I'm not sure how to approach this an any input is appreciated. I assume I would pay for this service? Thank you.
marriola27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:42 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriola27 View Post
I'm glad you finally found one. I am bouncing back between a TT and a class C. If i am looking at a Class C Used, I do not know enough to about engines myself to look under the hood to determine what's going on. Is there an etiquette to follow as far as getting the engine or whole RV checked out by an unbiased 3rd party? I'm not sure how to approach this an any input is appreciated. I assume I would pay for this service? Thank you.
I think it depends on how motivated the seller and buyer are. If the seller is motivated, you can ask them to get the coach and chassis inspected and they may do it, they probably will if you offer to pay. I had one owner give me maintenance records and offer a warranty, but that is pretty motivated.

If it is a very nice RV and you are afraid someone else is going to buy it, you can have mobile technicians come to the RV and do the inspections. This will cost you ($1000?).

In my experience, if a coach has been for sale for a while, there is very little chance someone else will buy it before you can get it inspected.

Search mobile RV technicians in your area to find a technician. It helps to look at their on line reviews and BBB ratings.

Good luck

Monty
Old 12-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
D-S

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji2 View Post
That is a nice looking rig Now start racking up the miles and making memories.
I agree with Benji,
Don't let set around! You and your wife go make memories, and lots of them... even camping somewhere close can be magical.

I speak from experience, as my wife was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So for us every trip, whether I'm working a rodeo or not is a memory for me!!!!

Congrats, ENJOY your rig!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:45 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-S View Post
I agree with Benji,
Don't let set around! You and your wife go make memories, and lots of them... even camping somewhere close can be magical.

I speak from experience, as my wife was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So for us every trip, whether I'm working a rodeo or not is a memory for me!!!!

Congrats, ENJOY your rig!
Really sorry to hear about your wife. We have alzheimers very strong in our family (grandmother, aunt, and mother). I think there are some new drug treatments that my help. Keep strong and seek help of others.

Monty