Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #1

2005 Newmar Essex 4502

Welp...we did it!

We put down a deposit on a 2005 Newmar Essex 4502.

We head down to North Carolina to pick it up in a couple of weeks. (from Spokane WA...yes..yes..we JUST got back from a trip from ABQ when we thought we'd found our rig, so yes, LOTS of driving!)

This was listed yesterday and we called and we were the 3rd folks to call about it but the FIRST to put cash down. So excited!

Thy owner has already removed the add but here's a link to a similar one (other than "ours" (oh man that feels good to say!) has a new 3 door residential fridge and carpet in the living area): Oh, it's not black like that one, but the usual two tone, brown and tan, not my favorite, but the inside is almost identical.

https://www.legacycoach.com/learn-ab...502-Quad-Slide

The aquahot has been replaced a year ago, and the generator has been rebuilt a year ago (it has 3000 plus hours) and the owner has all service records on the 500HP engine. FIVE HUNDRED HORSEPOWER! Whoa Nelly! Hey? Maybe that's what we'll call her!!! NELLY!

Okay..I'm giddy...sorry about that.

So, everyone, tell me your good and bad stories about Newmar Essex's. What should I be concerned about.

We know we'll be replacing the tires as soon as we get there, and the owner was willing to have all the hoses and belts replaced as we'll need to get on the road asap to get back to Spokane. Seems like we've been gone more than we've been here. Well, I guess we have since we spent the winter in Florida.

And if anyone knows of a good tire place around Asheville, NC or between there and Spokane WA let me know. I don't want to go too far on tires that are 7 years old, but I can't seem to find anyone in Asheville that has on hand replacement tires for 315/80R 22.5. (Not wanting Michelins)

Okay..I'm rambling and giddy...giddy up Nelly! WOOYOO!!

Thanks!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig! Let the adventure begin!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Congrats on the new rig. Enjoy many adventures with it.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #4

Congrats folks, Newmar is always a good choice. Enjoy
Old 06-15-2021, 01:12 PM   #5

Thanks everyone...soooooo excited! HUGE step up for us and into a world that is somewhat overwhelming...I mean..diesel? NO IDEA all the issues that come with a complicated rig like this...but I'm trusting all you folks here will help me out.

The very 1st time I test drove one I didn't even know what that big round 'thingy' was next to the transmission push button whatchamacallit plate thingy. Then the guys said, "it's the air brakes...you have to push it in order for it to go"....oh..ok. LOL! Seriously, I'm sooooo nervous. But I'll have 2500 miles to learn on our way back to Spokane.

I'm hunting down video's for newbies in the hopes I can get a leg up before we start our return trip. I almost wish it was THIS weekend we were going to get it, but for some reason the kids wanted to hang with me this Sunday...go figure.

Thanks again everyone...this has been a LONG LONG wait to find, what we hope, will be the rig of our dreams!

Here's a pic of the rig (Hopefully will have more coming):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our-rig.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	332245  
Old 06-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Absolutely beautiful!

I think folks waste a lot of $$ by thinking they need to go new to get a good coach. Ours is an '07 had very few miles when we got it in '17 but it's certainly nothing like that on the inside! Newmar's are soooooo nice! Every time I see one on the road and the wife will make a comment like "there's a nice one" I'll say yep, it's a Newmar...

Do you mind me asking the price?

Weather is great up here right now, one more storm to blow through (as of last night) and then several days of great weather (Astoria area)
SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:04 PM   #7

Very nice. Enjoy it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:27 PM   #8

Congratulations. I used Free Service Tire in Kingsport TN when I put six new Hankooks on mine back in the spring. The location on Eastern Star Road is the truck location where I had mine installed, Free Service Tire & Auto Centers
710 Eastern Star Rd · (423) 207-5891. Coming from Asheville west on I26 it would be the exit before I81 interchange. They have a location in Knoxville also.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconkin View Post
Congratulations. I used Free Service Tire in Kingsport TN when I put six new Hankooks on mine back in the spring. The location on Eastern Star Road is the truck location where I had mine installed, Free Service Tire & Auto Centers

710 Eastern Star Rd · (423) 207-5891. Coming from Asheville west on I26 it would be the exit before I81 interchange. They have a location in Knoxville also.

Perfect! Just what I was looking for! Thanks so much for the suggestion! I’ll call them tomorrow!!
Old 06-16-2021, 08:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats TriMoot, on finally locking down your next coach!!

Looks like you’ve got yourself an absolute beauty of a coach. I remember that new coach excitement! Essex was on our list when we were looking and always considered them a great coach.

All the best, and have a fun and safe first trip!!
Josh

PS if you’re looking for new tires, I can not recommend Toyo M144 tires enough! Amazing value, price, wear, and ride. Been running all 8 since 2019. When we did a search on here back then for tire recommendations, it seems it was an almost unanimous vote for the Toyos.
Our 2001 Signature Repairs & Upgrades Thread
JJTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:18 PM   #11

Congrats on your new coach.

May you have many miles of smiles.

She’s a beauty.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 08:43 PM   #12

Congrats on the New-to-you Essex. That should be a very fine coach that should serve you well for a long time.

The Newmar Owners forum here will give you all kinds of information. See you there!
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:44 PM   #13

Congrats on your new Essex!!
utarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #14

Thanks everyone, we are very anxious to get out to NC to pick it up this Saturday...woohoo!

I've been attempting to read/watch as much information about Diesel Pushers and BIG RIGs as possible.

I think turning right is what is concerning me the most. I've watched a lot of video and think I understand it in my head, but until I get to practice it I probably don't really "know". I did tell the owner that during my test drive I would also like to find an open parking lot so I could practice turning, backing and whatever else I should learn.

So excited!!! WOOHOO!

I'll post some pic's and our experiences on our way back from time to time....as long as things go smoothly.

Kind of concerned that we'll be traveling on the 4th of July week and weekend...gulp.

I also have another thread going here asking for help on what route to take. Still trying to figure that out.

I'll report back, and thanks again folks for all the kind words. So funny to be going from a 32' gas rig to a 45' DP...wow...that's a LOT OF CHANGE! LOL!

Tags
essex, newmar