Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
CBQ

Well, after almost no initial defects...the engine blew at 4k miles. Newmar makes a nice RV, but underneath it all, it's still a Ford.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Well, after almost no initial defects...the engine blew at 4k miles. Newmar makes a nice RV, but underneath it all, it's still a Ford.
Seriously? I am sorry to hear that and I hope it is covered under warranty.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #17

Congrats on your new rig and happy RVing!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
that is very ODD to say the least

my sister just took delivery of a new one last week just in time for sturgis
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sorry to hear that.. I have a 2012 3920 with just under 12k on it and i've had no major problems..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roebling pits.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	24321  
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #20
CBQ

Quote:
It turned out that a values snapped off and dropped into the engine while it was at 4,500 RPM. The piston was destroyed, the cylinder scarred, and the head damaged.

Ford decided to install a factory new crate engine at no charge to me. It took a month, but the RV is now back on the road.

The dealer told me that the V10s are generally reliable, but factory defects like this are most likely to show up in the first 6000 miles.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
It turned out that a values snapped off and dropped into the engine while it was at 4,500 RPM. The piston was destroyed, the cylinder scarred, and the head damaged.
Don't you just hate it when a "value" snaps off?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:16 PM   #22
CBQ

Yeah, problably lost about 10k of "value" now that I am on engine number 2.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #23
LTM

Quote:
Thanks. We compete in BBQ competitions so there is a lot of gear that goes in the back. You may have noticed we added e-track to the walls. Switching to a toy hauler eliminated the need for us to tow a cargo trailer, which is handy when trying to park in frequently tight spaces in a field someplace.

I love the look of the desk/dinette combo, but we decided keep the standard dinette because we get a lot of guests and it gives us another bed that way. (The queen bunks in the back, the sleep sofa, and bedroom give us four full queen beds plus the dinette - not bad for a class A that isn't a bunkhouse.)
I am in the market and researching Class A toyhaulers and it is interesting you do BBQ comps, as I do as well. A friend more experienced in Class A's and BBQ comps, suggested yesterday, that 10'x8' would not be enough room to bring all the equipment required to a comp. Now I am confuzled. lol is the 10x8 enough space?
LTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #24
CBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTM View Post
I am in the market and researching Class A toyhaulers and it is interesting you do BBQ comps, as I do as well. A friend more experienced in Class A's and BBQ comps, suggested yesterday, that 10'x8' would not be enough room to bring all the equipment required to a comp. Now I am confuzled. lol is the 10x8 enough space?
Well, I think that depends on what you cook with and what kind of contests you enter. (MBN, for example, would take more space than the KCBS events we cook.)

We have a fair amount of infrastructure, and it all fits. There is a 1500 pound weight limit on the garage too, so you need to consider that.

We use 2 cookers (FEC 100 and Backwoods Chubby), along with 2 rolling shelves, a 4 bay sink (with it's own storage tanks, pump, and water heater), large meat cooler, 10x20 tent, and 2 Cambro coolers. We installed e-track on the walls, and everything gets strapped in place. The rolling shelves allow us to store a lot of the smaller things vertically.

We are currently on a road trip to cook the American Royal Invitational, the American Royal Open, Sam's Club National Event, and The Jack. The 3920 holds the supplies for all four contests, our infrastructure, and our booth display (28' long assembled) for The Jack.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 AM   #25

Damon Outlaw VS Canyon Newmar Star

Hello there! This will be my first RV and I am deciding b/w these 2 vehicles. Can anyone shed some light onto the pros/cons of either or both? I will be using it as a second home on the west coast to visit the national parks and music festivals. I plan on traveling with a lot of friends and carrying an atv, motorcycle, kayak, BBQ, and bicycles in the garage.

Thank you so much!
doogah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Congrats, should be lots of fun. Enjoy!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 doogah12.
You should go to this thread they are all located there for you with answers.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogah12 View Post
Hello there! This will be my first RV and I am deciding b/w these 2 vehicles. Can anyone shed some light onto the pros/cons of either or both? I will be using it as a second home on the west coast to visit the national parks and music festivals. I plan on traveling with a lot of friends and carrying an atv, motorcycle, kayak, BBQ, and bicycles in the garage.

Thank you so much!
Thanks to "007" for pointing you to the Class A Toyhauler thread...there's LOTS of info there.

The Newmar Canyon Star Toyhauler is great! Thor Outlaw Toyhaulers are great too!

They are somewhat different, but I think they share more in common than differences.

For 2013 there are actually 2 floorplans for the Outlaw like there was when it was the "Damon" Outlaw in 2009 and 2010.

I suggest that you go in-person and check both models to see for yourself.

And, visit this thread to see what Outlaw owners are saying:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...aw-102560.html

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar