Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #15

New Horizons Owners Club
Jack
Any updates on your build?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NULarry B View Post
Jack
Any updates on your build?
Hi Larry. It is off to be painted at CDI. Should be back in about 10 days.

There are some additional pictures in the album since I posted here last. They start around #64. LINK.

Also, my friend Gregg Shields from RVHaulers.ca recently delivered one of his RV haulers to New Horizons. While there he got a tour of the factory and videoed it. Much of it shows our coach, so it may be of interest to some. It also shows the build process, etc. It is about 30 minutes long....so beware on a metered connection. LINK

If you have questions, feel free to ask either here or email me.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #17

New Horizons Owners Club
Jack
What is the white covering on the roof in picture 136?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #18

Very nice. I see a set of props is this going to be amphibious.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NULarry B View Post
Jack
What is the white covering on the roof in picture 136?
The roof surface is a continuous sheet of pebbled fiberglass laminated as the exterior of the roof. The roof is a laminated structure - inside to outside: soft touch padded vinyl interior, luan, 2" high density Dow foam with the AC ducts cut into it, topped by 2" of foam, then luan, then the fiberglass exterior. This is all 100% glue covered between layers and pinch rolled. It is a very strong and stiff one-piece structure. It feels like walking on the ground The top 2" of the high density foam is laid over the AC ducting so that heat from outside does not affect the ducts and returns (or has minimal effect).

The edge seams of the 2015's are covered with a trim strip that you see that cleans up the screw heads and caulk over them. It is an appearance improvement.

The roof is flat side-to-side, unlike many RVs that have a arched roof. Drainage is to the ends from a slight peak oriented over the area of the stairs inside. This has many advantages, most significant of which is the laminated structure. It also has a disadvantage in that "some" water can pool at the seam tape for the end caps - there is no side-to-side runoff area. With the condensate drains for the air conditioning units that route water directly to the ground this is only rain water and it evaporates fairly quickly. But it does require that you maintain your endcap sealing. Which should be done anyway. It is rare to have an issue with this, but it is different and does bring up questions. One advantage is no side gutters and no water runoff on the sides. Like anything else, there are tradeoffs to each construction technique.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #20

How many miles a year will you tow a 5'er this size? Very impressive indeed.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Jack didn't you have a induction surface on your last rig? If you did, how did you find it in terms of performance and then the follow up question is what made you go back to a gas range?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM   #22

There are some new pictures of interior finishes....including some of the tile work.

We tow about 8000 miles a year. That is an extended circuit around the country. You are not taking a setup our size into most forest service campgrounds....it is not intended for that. But frankly we find little issue in finding spots that hold us. Actually, we find no issue at all.

I have not put an induction cooktop in any of our coaches. I HAVE speced coaches for others that used them. I recommend - in most cases - that you combine a 2-burner induction unit with a 2-burner gas unit (modular system). That gives you the best of both. But I do know people that have put in only induction. They have no intention of ever boondocking, although you could run induction just fine off a large battery bank if you are not cooking a lot (long time).
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #23

Some additional photos of interior at the end of the album.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #24

Congrats, Jack!

That is a beautiful, quality coach! Gorgeous.

Tim
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #25

There is a video playlist of the final coach - at least most of it was done, some minor things missing. Playlist is HERE.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 AM   #26

Wow! This is one huge mega beast for sure. Most impressive fiver I've ever seen! If I were moving to full-time I'd have to give this make some serious consideration.
After checking out your website what boggles my mind is you're on your 3rd Horizon in such short time span aside from having a very expensive if not THE most expensive Fiver in existence. Are you ever happy? Just kidding. I'm still in the minors and haven't progressed to the majors yet. Awesome web site you have, I gotta go back and read more.
Blackcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 AM   #27

Jack, congratulations, your coach is impressive and you are teaching us something about building a 5'vr. I really like how you designed your sewer hose storage as well as all the extra little storage compartments. Are you and your rig going to be at the Tampa show in January? If so we'd like to see it.