Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

2015 New Horizons Custom 44.5' Fifth Wheel Build Thread

This thread documents the build of our 2015 New Horizons custom 5th wheel. Many people have asked about it, so I started this thread...

I'll put data/info on our personal website, but the pictures really tell the story. There are comments on the pictures so be sure to view them that way. Picture link at bottom of post. Feel free to ask questions on new stuff or why I did things a certain way. Feel free to criticize as well...

This is the first "customer" 2015 New Horizons. It is following the show model down the "line". There are huge changes in the 2015 product line. I'll write an article on them soon - I'm waiting for New Horizons to get their customer newsletter out on that topic first. But I'll mention some of the changes here as we go along, and document them all in one place later.

You will get to see our new coach at the HDT Rally in Hutchinson, along with the NH show model, a DRV Elite Suite, Spacecraft, and NEW this year Forks will bring a Continental Coach (and JC, and Jay will be there with their new CC's). IMO, the BEST of the luxury custom coaches all in one place. And an entire day to see them, compare them, and ask questions. ALL are invited to the HDT Rally - you do not need an HDT, or even an RV to attend. Like many other rallies this is an educational rally - it presents info on tow vehicles and other RV related topics. It's primary focus is on heavy tow vehicles. HDTRALLY.com

Some of the custom things we did:

Natural cherry cabinets - no stain. They will be pretty light to start with but will darken naturally to a honey color. The decor on this coach is much more "transitional" - between contemporary and traditional. Thus the color choice.
Dark wood floor - hand scraped hickory - throughout the coach,including the bedroom. We love the hickory flooring - it is pretty much indestructible and easy to keep clean.

Black Samsung Starion countertops with brown flecks and sparkles in it. This is on the kitchen counters and island, the bath vanity, and the bedside tables. All other tops are real cherry (bed vanity, ent. center, dining buffet).The floors and primary countertops are dark to contrast with the lighter wood.

Buffet-style dinette. There is a shallow cabinet along the wall and the table is hung from it. All cherry. One leg for support. This makes it far easier for us "big boys" to get in/out of the table. Plus gives storage. Like you see in motorhomes.

100% coverage electric in-floor heat.

The shower is from the Onyx Collection and is 3' x 4' with a tile insert. Very large and comfortable - again, for us "big boys". Clear glass sliding bypass doors. Shower is inset "into" the floor so it appears to be a walkin shower.
Custom subway tile backsplash in tumbled marble in the kitchen and bath area. Accent tile runs through it. And a ribbon of the same accent tile runs through the shower.

MCD powered shades.

Entry door has window. Interior of door has powered MCD shade mounted on wall...like in motorhomes. This way we can see out the door window instead of it being frosted.

Vessel sink in bath, of course.

Bronze fixtures, and handles.

Bed slide is 4" deeper than normal (32" deep instead of 28"). More walk space at foot of bed - deeper cabinets above and at sides of bed.

Pullout side-slide pantry for broom and utility storage next to refrigerator. (Like a BIG side-pull spice cabinet.)

Painted silver to match the truck. Three coats of clear. Three coats is standard for 2015 - used to be two.

Appliances/Fixtures

Residential 25cf. side by side refrigerator is in front of entry door. Stainless with water and ice in door. We like the side by side because you have a much larger and more accessible freezer section. No issue with boondocking with our electrical system.

Residential 30" GE Profile gas cooktop.

Residential 30" GE Cafe Advantium convection microwave.

24" GE washer and dryer. The dryer is 120 volt. I could not find a 24" gas dryer. We chose not to use a residential 27" appliance pair - it caused too many floorplan issues. We chose not to use a 240 volt dryer - it uses too much power to be practical, although it could be done on 50 amp service. But running two AC units and other things at the same time as drying would be problematic. The washer and dryer are set side by side, not stacked. Storage above and below them. They are more at eye-level for Danielle. No bending over....

Fischer Paykel dishwasher drawer - same as in the past. I cannot find anything better.

25" single bowl Swanstone sink (US2215) in Tahiti Desert color (kinda speckled tan) undermounted in the "black" Samsung countertop. We went with a smaller sink this time.

Pantry is relocated to be next to the cooktop (where the refrigerator was).

Whole RV automation via wall switches/wall panels AND/OR via an iPad/Android tablet. Accessible from anywhere Internet reception is available. Automates all functions except HVAC.....HVAC is coming. Shades, genset, all AV components, tank levels, lighting, etc. Just like in the big Prevost busses. This package includes a tablet of your choice, a WiFiRanger Go2 router, all wiring, all panels, etc. The base lighting package without tablet is standard - the whole RV automation is optional.

Electrical

Lots of extra outlets.

Three dedicated circuits for supplemental electric heaters

ALL LED 12-volt lighting. No 120-volt lights at all.

Whole house hardwired EMS (Progressive)

Front shore power twist lock input and 30' cord. Rear shore power on powered reel - 30' cord.

Fireplace

Genset (5500 LP under the livingroom floor). I moved this from the 2012.
1200 Ah of AGM Fullriver L16 batteries in front/right compartment to counterbalance kitchen slide weight.

Magnum 3000 watt hybrid inverter that can load share between shore power and inverter. Basically the battery bank can supplement shore power when on a 30 amp circuit.

1200 watts of high voltage solar panels controlled by a MidNite Solar Classic controller. Trimetric RV2030 battery monitor (NOT the BMS from Magnum).

Ethernet: 2 from TV area, 1 from utility hookup center, one from solar controller

Water/Sewer

Whole house Reverse Osmosis water system; stored in the 100 gallon fresh water tank with a boost pump.

Three prefilters (sediment 5 micron, sediment 1 micron, charcoal) and two 100 GPD RO membranes.

Kitchen water feed for sink and refrigerator is post-processed through a charcoal filter to restore taste.

50' powered water hose reel.

Sewer macerator for normal use with provision to bypass for conventional dumping. Grey water bypass on macerator. Two convention sewer hose storage tubes to serve as backup to the macerator.

16 gallon hot water heater

Entertainment

50" Samsung 6000 series LED TV on a lift.

Denon AV receiver surround 7.2

Boston Acoustics surround speakers

Yamaha center channel speaker inserted above fireplace.

Bedroom prewired for TV, but no TV.

Winegard Travler auto dish for DTV

Running Gear

8K Mor/Ryde IS axles, Dexter disc brakes, 17.5" Goodyear G114 tires, spoke wheels.

BluDot brake actuation - air/hydraulic.

Three cameras: right, left, backup. Three other cameras on truck: right side blindspot, hitch, drom. Second 7-pin umbilical cord carries camera signals and aux lines from trailer to truck.

That is some of the stuff. More to come. Picture album is here......I'll update it as we go.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. I have to ask, what will this unit weigh and what will you pull it with?
Old 05-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have looked at the specs and pics of this 5er. If I were going from my MH to a large 5er, this would be under consideration. Nice RV Jack!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochmuth1957 View Post
Wow. I have to ask, what will this unit weigh and what will you pull it with?
I expect it to be in the 24.5-25K area loaded. In my signature line you see what I pull with - a Volvo tractor 515hp/1850 torque, with a smart car on the back.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
Jack
Looking at a picture of the axles, are they using the Never lube or are they using Mor Ryde oil bath axles?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM   #6

Larry, they are Never-Lube. I've had both in the past and actually prefer the Never-Lube, despite past issues they had with them. I believe that those issues are fixed now. Everything is a compromise and that is one I'm willing to risk. We will see - but I have over 100,000 miles cumulative on N-L without issues, and I hope it stays that way. On the other hand, with the oil bath rig I had bearing issues. Twice. And it was not overloaded.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Jack
Makes sense.
Next question is, I like the Gen set under the trailer, but how are you going to vent the exhaust to keep it out of the trailer when you use it?
Old 06-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NULarry B View Post
Jack
Makes sense.
Next question is, I like the Gen set under the trailer, but how are you going to vent the exhaust to keep it out of the trailer when you use it?
The exhaust comes out at the rear/side. There are fixed pane windows (non-operable ) back there. So it vents as well as it would if in front. Better, actually, since in front it exhausts not all that far from the bedroom windows. Although I've never gotten anything measurable on a digital carbon monoxide meter.

There are new pictures up on the album. They start around #35...comments on the side.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting. I look forward to your posts. Any pics on the way?
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
KoolBell
Look at Jack's first post.At the bottom is a link to the pictures of the build.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #11

To keep the digging into the past posts down, here is another link to the pictures. LINK.

There will be a LOT of new ones early next week. I'm headed out to New Horizons to see the rig and do some business.....as of a day ago, the passenger side wall was on, the plumbing mostly done, and a bunch of the bigger cabinets in. Detailed pictures will follow...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #12

Congrats on the new ride! If you happen to swing through Wichita on your way to Junction City, let me know. I'll buy the coffee. Tim
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfiver View Post
Congrats on the new ride! If you happen to swing through Wichita on your way to Junction City, let me know. I'll buy the coffee. Tim
Won't be getting down there this trip, Tim. Will I see you at the HDT Rally in October?
Old 06-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #14

Jack, at this point we re planning to be in the SE then. Would love to attend some time--it is only 45 mins away for us.

Tim
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote