Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > New Rig Show-Off!
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Lifted F-450 towing a big 5th wheel toy hauler

Well here are a couple pics of our lifted F-450 with our daughter and son-in-laws 41' Cyclone fifth wheel toy hauler. This was just a 'test run' before we go down and pick up our own new fiver.
We bought a new Enduramax 3950END down in Texas back in Feb. In July we will drive down to Texas and pick it up and haul it back to here Alaska. (about 10,000 miles round trip) Since we didn’t want any (or many) surprises when we get down to Texas we decided to take a few ‘test & tune’ runs before our big trip.
We decided to haul the 'kids' toy hauler last week-end to see how the F-450 (and all its mods) hauled the big 5th wheel. I was absolutely amazed how well the tuned twin turbo 6.4l hauled this big of a load! The F-450 is far from stock and is currently making up to 580hp & over 1100 ft lbs of torque at the tires! It has 4 different engine HP settings that are almost instantly changeable from a monitor in the cab. It has an 8” lift with 36” tires. So far, I have towed the big 5th wheel in both the 355hp & 430hp power settings (again that’s hp at the tires) and it is quite impressive how well this truck tows a big load with the added power! It felt very stable behind the F-450 even more so than the Chevy 3500 Duramax dually the Cyclone is normally towed behind. Driving the F-450 and towing the loaded Cyclone (17000+ pounds) in the 430hp mode @ 64 mph we got 9.0 mpg. This included some decent hills and city driving. The 6.4L twin turbo Ford had the power to stay in over drive with torque converter locked while using the cruise control @ 64mph in all but 3 hills. On those hills once the speed dropped to about 60mph the transmission down shifted and the truck accelerated right back up to 64mph and shifted back up to overdrive again and stayed there! I’m going to try the 530hp setting next time out. We haven’t towed anything heavier than 10,000 pounds in the 580hp setting but it handled that really well. I do see some high exhaust temps when in the high HP setting and pulling hard.
While driving down the road with CC set @ 64mph, I was seeing EGT of 575 and 8psi of boost. Engine temp was 185F and transmission temp was 170F. When climbing the hills I would see EGT just over 1050 and 37psi boost before the transmission would down shift. The engine and transmission temps didn’t change much under the load of those hills.

We are looking forward to our big trip coming up in July! Our Enduramax toy hauler is about the same size as this Cyclone toy hauler. The both make most TV look small!

Back-to-Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Congrats on the new fifth-wheel you are going to pick up soon. The truck looks amazing. Wishing you many happy journeys.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nice looking rig...be sure to post post pics of the new 5er when you get it.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Congratulations,

Van.

Tags
towing